Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:54 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,207,835 times

Advertisements

Well, I must say, that I am not sure what that was they were trying to pass off as a debate. The incited slug fest over the whole issue of "who is the most conservative" suggest that people who watched it or follow this election cycle aren't capable of determining this on their own or haven't already.

To be frank, I thought Huckabee scored a victory in that sparkling, shiny, glitzfest of a gala they called a debate as he is a very eloquent speaker.

In the over all, I think it showed the rest of the world two things. One, just how divided the GOP is right now and how it is searching to find itself like some wayward Zen master with amnesia, and two, it reminded most non-Fox viewers why they don't watch Fox. I thought I was going to have a seizure with all the flashing graphics. I can accept and even welcome Fox's views for what they are but man, someone tell them to ease up on the lead painted barbie dolls.

I know this much, after watching this debate I will not, even with a gun to my head vote for Rudy, Mitt, Fred, or Hunter. I did notice Tancredo stealing some of Paul's constitutional positions concerning health care. The booing of Paul was rather low rent, but hey, it was Fox, what do you expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,137,745 times
Did I miss anything. I wouldn't know how to find Fox on the dial. Will they repeat it and let me sink my teeth into it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well, I must say, that I am not sure what that was they were trying to pass off as a debate. The incited slug fest over the whole issue of "who is the most conservative" suggest that people who watched it or follow this election cycle aren't capable of determining this on their own or haven't already.

To be frank, I thought Huckabee scored a victory in that sparkling, shiny, glitzfest of a gala they called a debate as he is a very eloquent speaker.

In the over all, I think it showed the rest of the world two things. One, just how divided the GOP is right now and how it is searching to find itself like some wayward Zen master with amnesia, and two, it reminded most non-Fox viewers why they don't watch Fox. I thought I was going to have a seizure with all the flashing graphics. I can accept and even welcome Fox's views for what they are but man, someone tell them to ease up on the lead painted barbie dolls.

I know this much, after watching this debate I will not, even with a gun to my head vote for Rudy, Mitt, Fred, or Hunter. I did notice Tancredo stealing some of Paul's constitutional positions concerning health care. The booing of Paul was rather low rent, but hey, it was Fox, what do you expect.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Did I miss anything. I wouldn't know how to find Fox on the dial. Will they repeat it and let me sink my teeth into it?
Not really, it was more of a Broadway show than a debate. If you managed to watch the PBS or the Morgan College debate, they had much better formats and allowed a much more equal share as well as asking much more lucid questions.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,137,745 times
Thanks, yes, I saw the PBS debate and much of the Morgan College one, too.

Quote:
Not really, it was more of a Broadway show than a debate. If you managed to watch the PBS or the Morgan College debate, they had much better formats and allowed a much more equal share as well as asking much more lucid questions.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,232,188 times
Quote:
I thought I was going to have a seizure with all the flashing graphics.
That's so funny, I thought the same thing. I wondered if it was like a game show- with the colors changing as the time expired for an answer. Next they will have sexy women holding briefcases with questions and the candidate will choose which to answer.

And I also noticed a number of empty seats in the audience, which said a lot. Usually the party will make sure every seat is filled.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:21 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,895,509 times
Default GOP debates?

Was that a debate? Everyone seemed like they were being interviewed for the job as President and the audience of 2,000 loyal Florida Republicans were the deciders!! Most of the evening was spent speaking about the typcial kneejerk GOP issues like Abortion, Gay marriage, Ronald Reagan and Hillary Clinton. Its obvious the GOP prefers not to discuss the REAL issues of the day as they have nothing to bring to the table. The republicans must put forth a program of REAL issues and follow it. That way, the people will know they are serious about carrying out a plan. The Karl Rove legacy is over and I am wondering without him if they can win again!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Default Poorly Moderated Debate

The debate was poorly moderated and I'm a fan of those moderators so it kills me to say it. It was moderated to be provocative and entertaining, not to provide substance. Fox must have decided if the candidates weren't going to attack each other, they'd help them do it with the questions.

And Fox isn't the only one to do a bad job.

And frankly, what good is a timer if you don't cut their mikes when their time is up? That goes for ALL of the televised debates. How about some post analysis on who keeps going over their time limit.

Instead of asking questions about the same old tired subjects in every stinking debate, Republican and Democrat, where are the other questions?

How about illegal immigration questions related to visa overstays and anchor babies? It's not just about border security but the TV types only have images of people running over the border so that's what moderators dwell on - the images that play well on TV. Ask the Republican candidates why they have to wait for Tom Tancredo to bring up anything to do with illegal immigration.

You want to talk about National Security, ask them a question about cameras going up in the streets and whether they think it's an effective tactic or ask them what they think of the Protect America Act about to expire this year.

Ask them what they think of restorative justice. Does it hurt or help America? Why?

Ask Rudy Giuliani why he supports abortion. Why is it a woman's right to choose if he thinks it's a baby? Or, does he not think that's a baby? Let's hear him flat out say that he either doesn't think it's a baby or if he does, it's okay to kill one. Instead, we get the same old abortion cliches/euphemisms from the moderator that elicit the same old cliched responses.

Ask every one of them, who has a gun and why they have one. Second amendment rights blah, blah, blah but who has one for protection, who has one for hunting, who collects them, who has ever used one.

Has crime ceased to be a Republican issue? Limousine moderators don't ask.

Fred Thompson started to say something about the condition of our culture but waited until the end of his message and got cut off and never brought it up again. Why? Isn't it worth talking about? You'd never know from the moderator's questions and Fred's lack of follow-up.

Ask John McCain why he thinks Republicans dislike him? Ask him how he thinks he's contributed to 11% approval ratings and why he thinks any current member of the US Senate deserves to be President. Does he not see himself as part of the problem?

Ask questions about Pakistan's current unstability; China and Russia?

Ask for their opinion of the United Nations.

Ask Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney about their management/leadership qualification in the area of foreign affairs. Ask them, who has more experience in that area.

Ask all of them if they support drilling in ANWR. Ask them to predict when we'll not be dependent on foreign oil.

Plus---

I'd fine every candidate $50 bucks (to go to charity) for every time them invoked the name of Ronald Reagan.

Last edited by LauraC; 10-22-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The debate was poorly moderated and I'm a fan of those moderators so it kills me to say it. It was moderated to be provocative and entertaining, not to provide substance.
Plus---

I'd fine every candidate $50 bucks (to go to charity) for every time them invoked the name of Ronald Reagan.
ha ha, I about choked on my coffee reading this. I said the exact same thing!

I tivo'd this gig and watched it again for breakfast, and it is something I don't suggest anyone to do unless you have a stomach of iron. Another thing I noticed was how Fox beat the snot out of ole Fred Thompson and in watching it again, it seemed to be the Rudy show. I have also found out that the focus group they used were picked before hand based upon a questionnaire. Something they may have shared with the public, but chose not to for obvious reasons.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
Quote:

I tivo'd this gig and watched it again for breakfast, and it is something I don't suggest anyone to do unless you have a stomach of iron. Another thing I noticed was how Fox beat the snot out of ole Fred Thompson and in watching it again, it seemed to be the Rudy show. I have also found out that the focus group they used were picked before hand based upon a questionnaire. Something they may have shared with the public, but chose not to for obvious reasons.
I e-mailed Fox and told them to ditch the Luntz debate focus group. He had a previous Democrat one where just about the entire focus group said they switched to supporting Obama based on the debate but there didn't seem to be a soul outside of their room that agreed with them. I think the people are trying to please Luntz (consciously or subconsciously) so they try to say things that will sound profound to please him or unusual to entertain him which he dutifully reports. And come on, anti-Hillary candidate statements get an uptick on the debate meters is surprising to no one except apparently, Frank Luntz. I don't need a focus group to figure that one out.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,580,474 times
Quote:

you imagine FOX to be Fair & Balanced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections