Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Rand Paul has introduced another fetal personhood bill. Sen. Paul Sponsors Anti Abortion Bill. Raw Story

Yep, he is quite the libertarian/cross party lines/totally not a Republican.

The man brings attention to Fourth Amendment issues that we should all be demanding from our representatives. Other than that he is a deep social regressive, and a grandstander. Russ Feingold has been the only recent Senator to take actual steps to preserve individual liberties, and this man is no Russ Feingold.
Life is the ultimate form of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
If I were him this would be my slogan:

Vote for me. I've never been a lawyer.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, it looks like the GOP has found their new "rock star" candidate, since Christie and Jindal have been too outspoken against what's wrong with the party. I guess compared to Rick Santorum, Rand is Teddy Kennedy. Just remember, if he does decide to run, flubs like this will be on 24/7 replay:

Rand Paul asks Hillary Clinton About Involvement in Transferring Weapons to Turkey out of Libya - YouTube
thogh I am not particularly a Jindal fan, what makes you say he is too outspoken? Christie maybe, but his electability might go deeper than that. Only time will tell, but Jindal, I would want to know what you are referring to? Of course he mentions reaching out and he is right...
As for Rand Paul, his dad won the straw poll vote as well and look where he enced up. Let's not get too excited from either side at this early stage...Let's see how things pan out toward the end of 2014. Right now the Republicans have to put their heards together and make sure they find a way to hold onto the house in 2014.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I wonder what percentage of Rand Paul supporters voted for Obama last Nov? A lot I think. So if Hillary runs and whoever the Repubs put up as candidate, I doubt it would be Paul. I see another Dem win in 2016. But, who knows. By then there may no longer be a Repub Party.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I wonder what percentage of Rand Paul supporters voted for Obama last Nov? A lot I think. So if Hillary runs and whoever the Repubs put up as candidate, I doubt it would be Paul. I see another Dem win in 2016. But, who knows. By then there may no longer be a Repub Party.
No longer be a Republican party would be like saying, back in the Reagan days, the Demo were finished. I think we heard something very similar after Obama's 2008 win. In fact, some of the top media told us, the GOP was dead and burried, just to rise again in 2010. I guess some might call it the second coming..

As for the Paul supporters, the Rand Paul supporters are not the same as the Ron Paul supporters cause he isn't his dad....who will they support or did the Ron Paul supporters turn to in 2008? According to them, many wrote Pauls name in, didn't vote or actually voted for Romney..A lot of them didn't vote period. So to think they all or even most went for Obama is probably just wishful thinking on the part of the Dems. 2016 who knows. So much can happen, we have no idea who will be the Rep candidate or the Dem for that matter. the right candidate, be it Rand, Christie, Jindal, Rubio, etc could beat Biden, Cuomo, etc but would still have a battle against Hillary. The right candidate on the left could beat a lot of the Republicans names floating around. So much to think about in the next 2 go 3 years.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Rand Paul 2016

I'll go way out on the political limb here and predict that little Rand will never be the GOP prez nominee. Neither will his featherweight diapermate, Ted Cruz.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'll go way out on the political limb here and predict that little Rand will never be the GOP prez nominee. Neither will his featherweight diapermate, Ted Cruz.
I don't think you are going out on a limb, I think you are about right. As for Cruz, I am not sure about him, he is too new, time will tell, but Rand will, most likely not get the bid...I just hope, whomever does, this doesn't continue to split the party...

Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Rand Paul won't even be able to get out of a Republican primary. Don't you people know your own party politicians? Look at the guy? You don't have to be an expert to see that he just doesn't have that 'it factor' at all. He has ZERO charisma, and as vacuous as that trait may seem to be, it has more importance than you think.

The guy is a wonk like his dad (although they're not the same politically). We don't elect wonks in this country. You can't just be smart. Al Gore was a smart wonk, and came off like a 2x4 against Dubya.

Right now, you guys have only one guy that cuts the mustard with the right blend of smarts and charisma, and he's in New Jersey. Ignore him if you want, but if you run Rand Paul, you're toast.

Of course, that's assuming that the Dems run Hillary Clinton. In that case, you're toast anyway. But at least run someone that won't have an embarrassing showing. Rand Paul would do good to get 100 electoral college votes, and that's me being generous.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Rand Paul won't even be able to get out of a Republican primary. Don't you people know your own party politicians? Look at the guy? You don't have to be an expert to see that he just doesn't have that 'it factor' at all. He has ZERO charisma, and as vacuous as that trait may seem to be, it has more importance than you think.
Maybe he should take some charisma lessons from George Bush?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe he should take some charisma lessons from George Bush?
Which one?

Dubya had charisma. Say what you want about him, but he came across very well to the common man. He was such a flawed character anyway, but he made it work to his advantage. Not the smartest guy in the world, but you could tell that he had good instincts and is a people person.

His dad? Well, he had a weak opponent and was the Veep to a president that was damn near a religious figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections