Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 PM

640 posts, read 461,734 times

Advertisements

He's Christian, he's a Baptist, he's a minister ~ and he's movin' to the top!

From CBS / NY Times ......

Poll: Huckabee Soars Into GOP's Top Tier, Giuliani Clinging To Lead Among Republicans Nationally; Gap Between Obama, Clinton Narrows - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
The Huckaboom!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Is he running for preacher or president? Whatever, I certainly won't be voting for anyone who wants to stand up for the religious right agenda as Huckabee surely does.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
He's Christian, he's a Baptist, he's a minister ~ and he's movin' to the top!

From CBS / NY Times ......

Poll: Huckabee Soars Into GOP's Top Tier, Giuliani Clinging To Lead Among Republicans Nationally; Gap Between Obama, Clinton Narrows - CBS News
Yes. The former darkhorse is threatening the front runners! This is exciting.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Huckabee's views on gay marriage are well known but I would be curious to see if this will hamper him if he makes the general election.

n August of 1998, Huckabee was one of 131 signatories to a full page USA Today Ad which declared: "I affirm the statement on the family issued by the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention." What was in the family statement from the SBC? "A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ."

"Got that ladies, do as your told, and while you are up, bring me a glass of tea and make it snappy" - author unknown, presumed dead.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM

There are tons of posts here that claim the conservative Christian vote doesn't matter this election year. I wonder where Huckabee's momentum is coming from if this is truly the case?? Personally, I think it is the conservative vote ~ not just the Christian vote; and I meant to separate the two. There are conservatives who aren't Christian.... How does the left explain his lead if they truly think Christians won't carry a candidate...

Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
n August of 1998, Huckabee was one of 131 signatories to a full page USA Today Ad which declared: "I affirm the statement on the family issued by the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention." What was in the family statement from the SBC? "A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ."
Hmmm, I'm 46 years old ~ born and raised a Christian in the Bible Belt of Oklahoma and have never, ever know one woman who would fit your portrait of a subservient slave to her husband. We don't teach that where I come from. Just the opposite, actually ~ Oklahoma women are strong and leaders in their communities and very much wear the pants in their families..

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm 46 years old ~ born and raised a Christian in the Bible Belt of Oklahoma and have never, ever know one woman who would fit your portrait of a subservient slave to her husband. We don't teach that where I come from. Just the opposite, actually ~ Oklahoma women are strong and leaders in their communities and very much wear the pants in their families..
Well you see I happen to live ontop the belt buckle of the bible belt itself and is one of the reasons why I posted this. I happen to know that even within the Christian church here in deep Appalachia there is a clash between the new world and that of tradition.

I see this in my daily life with the people I must interact with each day. Some men who are quite dominant over their wives and some not so. (I'm not suggesting love or lack of, only the manner in which they interact) I also happen to know of a few women who are much as you described and while respectful of their husbands, will in no way let any man speak to them as though they are supposed to be submissive.

However, if Huckabee does get the GOP nod, I can see where little things like this may haunt him. In fact, I even know of a few fine outstanding Christian ladies who would probably like to give him a piece of their mind. Let alone the coastal liberal women of this country.

Just one of those interesting bits to float by in an election cycle.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:00 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Huckabee's views on gay marriage are well known but I would be curious to see if this will hamper him if he makes the general election.

"Got that ladies, do as your told, and while you are up, bring me a glass of tea and make it snappy" - author unknown, presumed dead.
I would imagine the author had a tragic run in with something like...oh, rat poisoning.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken the christian voters this long to get behind Huckabee. I do wonder about that since his views are so closely aligned with the Christian Coalition. I was also surprised at the recent development in the family values arena of woman going back to more subservient roles. Seems odd for the year 2007 and truthfully, as a woman, I want no part of it.

While Huckabee may not personally think that is the role of women in society today, I do think it will be an issue with young voters. Of course, then there is his previous statements about AIDS (which I realize was many years ago), his pardons in Arkansas, and his acceptance of iffy contributions/gifts that have the potential to trip him up.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Christian understand this but some use it to take another jab at Christians. Yawn. And Christian men show respect to their wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections