Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

Some questions about your support:

1. If the presidential candidate you support drops out of the race and endorses another candidate, would you automatically, in turn, support the candidate that gets the endorsement? (Example: If you were a Tom Tancredo supporter are you jumping on the Mitt Romney bandwagon now?)

2. Speculate: Who else do you think will drop out of the race before you vote in your primary and which candidate do you think will get the drop out's supporters in your state (name state)?

3. General Election: Under what scenario would you sit out (not vote in) the general election in November 2008? Say if you are a Democrat or Republican or Independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 03:23 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,227,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Some questions about your support:

1. If the presidential candidate you support drops out of the race and endorses another candidate, would you automatically, in turn, support the candidate that gets the endorsement? (Example: If you were a Tom Tancredo supporter are you jumping on the Mitt Romney bandwagon now?)

No, I would not automatically support the candidate that my candidate endorses. I have my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices - which I have to admit has been EXTREMELY difficult this election year, and if my 1st choice drops out, then I would focus my support on my 2nd choice.

2. Speculate: Who else do you think will drop out of the race before you vote in your primary and which candidate do you think will get the drop out's supporters in your state (name state)?

This one is tough, because there are so many that are obvious contenders for next 'drop out' that I can't even speculate yet!

3. General Election: Under what scenario would you sit out (not vote in) the general election in November 2008? Say if you are a Democrat or Republican or Independent.
The only scenario that would cause me to 'not vote' would be if I was unconscious and unable to cast my vote. I feel that it is every American citizen's responsibility to make their voice heard through the power of their vote. I feel that if we don't take the time to vote, then we have no right to voice our opinion during the next four years!!

Old 12-22-2007, 03:25 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
My first choice is Ron Paul. My second is Chris Dodd. Opposites for sure, but they both speak to me. I will not vote for any of the current front runners. I will write in Mickey Mouse.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:32 PM

384 posts, read 286,882 times
The ones that don't vote are the same ones that complain the most about our government,I WILL vote for someone if my candidate is not on the ballot.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,519 times
I also intend to vote for someone...likely Paul whether he's on the ballot or not. I will write his name in.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
1] i dont care who my choice endorses if they drop out,i'll make another choice
2]since my states primary isnt until late may i imagine the field will be real narrow or decided by then,i'll vote anyway
3]i cant imagine voting for guliani or any of the dems except maybe richardson,i'll vote for someone even if its third party and kind of a wasted vote.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
If my candidate I choose drops out then I choose the next BEST candidate irregardless of who he endorses. I choose a candidate because I think there are here to do a GOOD job instead of holding the status quo that has led to America's decline...

Old 12-23-2007, 09:55 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Well, so much for endorsements...I like what you guys had to say about you doing the choosing if your guy drops out rather than going along with the guy he endorses. I hope the general public does the same thing.

I recently took a poll that asked me to choose between an assortment of two candidates (1, Republican, 1 Democrat) or vote Not Sure. I was dismayed that my candidate wasn't in the mix of choices offered so I voted Not Sure for all of them as a poll protest. If others do the same I can see the headlines now, "More Republicans are still unsure of their candidate." I'm also kind of sick of polls that don't offer "none of the above" choices or presume that a personal characteristic is more important than any issue so it doesn't even ask you about issues.

You know, I might not want to have a beer with somebody because I don't drink beer.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,766 times
Quote:
No way would my support automatically switch to the other candidate. I would listen to why he decided to support the other candidate, but then I would make my own decision. But regardless, if Ron Paul drops out of the race, I won't support any of the other candidates because I've already looked into them, and I can't support any of them. I can't imagine Ron Paul would either.

Quote:
I think Chris Dodd, Bill Richardson, Joe Biden, Fred Thompson, and Duncan Hunter will all drop out after Iowa (if not before.)

Quote:
I won't sit out the election under any circumstance. I will write-in Ron Paul if there is some other Republican on the ballot.

I cannot in good conscience vote for any of the other candidates. My view is that they will only continue doing the things that are wrong with the Fed. Gov. We need serious change in this country and Ron Paul is the only candidate for president that is discussing those changes that need to be made.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
I won't sit out the election, I have voted in every election since I became eligible. I always choose my own candidates, generally based on the direction of the country and my view of the most important issues.

I will vote for one of the main party nominees, and would not vote 3rd party. I don't cast a protest vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections