Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know, exactly how "surging" can it be when you have 15% of the Iowa vote? That's not a comment about Walker but a comment about the Bloomberg headline. Bush, meanwhile is "struggling" with 8% of the Iowa vote. Rand Paul has 14% but he's apparently not verb/participle-worthy nor is Huckabee at 10%. Ben Carson has 9%.

The "I told you so" part of the Iowa poll shows Christie at 4% with a 54% unfavorability rating. Apparently, this only comes as a surprise to the news media along the NYC/DC corridor who live in a bubble and think Christie's problem is Bridgegate..

Although the Iowa poll was taken before Romney dropped out, poll participants were also asked to name their second choice candidate. Who do you think the Romney voters chose second? Mike Huckabee. Bush only went up one and no one changed places in the order.

Perry scored best (62%) on ideology being about right but it didn't help his poll numbers (3%).

Walker Surging in Bloomberg Politics/Des Moines Register Iowa Poll as Bush Struggles - Bloomberg Politics

There is also stuff about the Democrats but the only significant thing I see there is the distance between Clinton (56%) and Warren (16%).

I've heard some news types say they think someone may come from out of nowhere on the Republican side but who?
This fool didn't even graduate from high school. Yet, you want us to elect him to our nation's highest elected office? That may work in your neck of the woods, but it shouldn't for a national office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Do you really think Lindsey Graham will run? I don't see him getting any money except from the war industry and McCain couldn't get enough from them. I know I would not vote for him as he's too emotionally overwrought (temperment) and lacks any kind of management experience...although he was a colonel in the reseserves, still throughout his military service he never left NC and he's pretty much been a lawyer all of his life even in the military. He also seems to be working on controlling his emotions. Still, I don't see him making it to my primary. If I had to choose the Southern guy, it wouldn't be him.
Heck no. His fellow repub brothers would force him to come out of that grand closet of his and that would be the end of it.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,589 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
Do you really think Lindsey Graham will run? I don't see him getting any money except from the war industry and McCain couldn't get enough from them. I know I would not vote for him as he's too emotionally overwrought (temperment) and lacks any kind of management experience...although he was a colonel in the reseserves, still throughout his military service he never left NC and he's pretty much been a lawyer all of his life even in the military. He also seems to be working on controlling his emotions. Still, I don't see him making it to my primary. If I had to choose the Southern guy, it wouldn't be him.
If i understand FEC filings correctly, then Graham has already spent more money than half the people we think are going to run, he has actually done polling and has put together a small team, that puts him ahead of everyone not named, Bush, Carson, Walker, and Christie.

im not saying he is going to win, but for all intensive purposes, he is already running. the Primary for South Carolina is a little farther back in 2016, but im guessing it will end up moving closer and give him a chance to stay in.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:35 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
The only thing Iowa is proving is it is an outlier, whose choice does not reflect the eventual nominee any longer.
This is only true with the Iowa Republicans, not their Democrats, at least so far.

But if Iowan conservatives want to keep their position as their party's bellwether, their caucus and primary outcomes are going to have to become more realistic, or they will simply be ignored. if not in 2016, then in 2020. And what's the use of being the first if nobody cares? The only political value Iowa has is as an early indicator of in-party trends. if they can't pick the right guy time after time, why bother with them at all?

It's hell to throw a big party and have no one show up to it.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
This fool didn't even graduate from high school. Yet, you want us to elect him to our nation's highest elected office? That may work in your neck of the woods, but it shouldn't for a national office.

Harry Truman did not have a college degree yet is now ranked 5 among US presidents by historians. Both right and left now concede that he was an effective prez.

List of presidential rankings - politics - White House | NBC News

Woodrow Wilson had a PhD and was an elite academic (president of Princeton U) but was a disaster as president. He started the income tax, started the war on drugs (Harrison act of 1914) and started the notion of US as world police with WWI. He also started a war on free speech by tossing people in jail for anti-war pamphlets (Schenk case) and created the modern federal police state. Before Wilson there was no FBI, and Congress was chary of armed federal cops. The early FBI were forbidden from carrying guns, but Wilson's creation inevitably evolved into the storm troopers that we have today.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:

I've heard some news types say they think someone may come from out of nowhere on the Republican side but who?

Notice, they are not talking about Ted Cruz.....

Old 02-01-2015, 06:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Harry Truman did not have a college degree yet is now ranked 5 among US presidents by historians. Both right and left now concede that he was an effective prez.

Woodrow Wilson had a PhD and was an elite academic (president of Princeton U) but was a disaster as president. He started the income tax, started the war on drugs (Harrison act of 1914) and started the notion of US as world police with WWI. He also started a war on free speech by tossing people in jail for anti-war pamphlets (Schenk case) and created the modern federal police state. Before Wilson there was no FBI, and Congress was chary of armed federal cops. The early FBI were forbidden from carrying guns, but Wilson's creation inevitably evolved into the storm troopers that we have today.
Not to mention, bringing segregation to America right at the moment we were starting to work things out ourselves.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

True dat. I've never heard that Truman was among the "best". In fact, I've heard that he was unpopular at the end of his elected term. Wilson was also easily the most racist POTUS we've ever had. He segregated all of the Washington DC offices and the military, passed the Harrison Act because he thought that black men on drugs would rape white women AND screened the racist "birth of a Nation" at the White House despite protests. League of Nation, Federal Income Tax, there's a special place in Hell for that fool.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times
Walker dropped out of college, did not fulfill his campaign promise to add 250,000 jobs to WI, is running a very large budget deficit, has not given failing infrastructure priority, and is known for causing divisiveness within the state.

Gov. Walker to propose borrowing money for highway projects, no - WKOW 27: Madison, WI Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Audit: 1.7 million unemployment hotline calls blocked last year because lines were full

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/audit-million-unemployment-hotline-calls-blocked-last-year-because-lines/article_2b0bc657-1a73-523e-b1a4-5b395877b738.html#ixzz3QYw1aDSq

Last edited by jojajn; 02-01-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 11:30 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,047,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Walker dropped out of college, did not fulfill his campaign promise to add 250,000 jobs to WI, is running a very large budget deficit, has not given failing infrastructure priority, and is known for causing divisiveness within the state.
And he's destroyed every effort the left has come up with to hurt him or the state of WI, which is doing much better under Scott Walker. He's lowered the deficit and he's doing exactly what he said he would, that's why the leftist union trash of WI hates him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections