Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,916,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That PERSON agreed to operate their business according to the laws of the state, when that PERSON got a business license. That license is a contract. A binding contract.
You haven't said anything different and you refuse to address what I posted. Ignore and deny.

That PERSON is FORCED to comply with state law even when no ones rights have been violated. So since you believe in big government being a moral compass you are okay with states denying benefits to same sex marriage. Quit trying to run peoples lives when no ones rights have been violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
The Supreme Court doesn't agree with you. I suggest you read the Loving decision.
Again you missed the point. Show me where government grants rights. Show me in the Constitution where it's governments job to decide who can and cannot be married. Quit looking to big government to run your life and give you the okay to marry someone you love. You don't need government permission to marry.
One day it's okay, another day it isn't. You want the same entity that denied people marriage to now okay it? Nice thought process.
I'll be waiting. Can't wait to see how you avoid and deflect this time.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Wallace View Post
I agree with this, put into other words you don't get to deny service to someone based on who they love.
If the government recognizes hetero marriage than they should have to recognize same sex marriage. Businesses should not be forced to. Government doesn't own it's people or their work.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You haven't said anything different and you refuse to address what I posted. Ignore and deny.

That PERSON is FORCED to comply with state law even when no ones rights have been violated. So since you believe in big government being a moral compass you are okay with states denying benefits to same sex marriage. Quit trying to run peoples lives when no ones rights have been violated.
That PERSON isn't FORCED. A PERSON who voluntarily enters into a contract is OBLIGATED to abide by the terms of the contract. They weren't FORCED to enter into the contract. They can void the contract at any time. However, if they want to continue to benefit from the contract, then they need to abide by the contract.

And again, as per rights, it is the people who are opposed to same-sex marriage who are trying to run other people's lives.

Whom I choose to marry has no effect on you. Period.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again you missed the point. Show me where government grants rights. Show me in the Constitution where it's governments job to decide who can and cannot be married. Quit looking to big government to run your life and give you the okay to marry someone you love. You don't need government permission to marry.
One day it's okay, another day it isn't. You want the same entity that denied people marriage to now okay it? Nice thought process.
I'll be waiting. Can't wait to see how you avoid and deflect this time.
I don't need government permission to marry. However, when I marry, I might like the government to recognize that marriage, and afford me the MANY benefits that come with marriage.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
No one is forced to accept gay marriage or else.
yes they are when it comes to business*

Quote:
No one is forced to accept anyone else's marriage.
yes they are when it comes to business*

Quote:
I know a couple and the man's mother absolutely refuses to accept her son's choice. She doesn't accept their marriage, she doesn't recognize their marriage, and no one can force her to do so.
Yet a business cannot deny same sex marriage benefits.
New York
The law states that marriage licenses cannot be denied to same-sex couples, and that no government or private entity can deny the rights, benefits or protections of marriage to same-sex couples who are legally wed. Furthermore, any state law that uses gender-specific terms to describe spousal rights and responsibilities will now be interpreted in a gender-neutral manner. Valid marriages from other states and countries with fair marriage laws will continue to be recognized in New York, and will be treated the same as in-state marriages.

*The Internal Revenue Service allows gay couples to file joint tax returns, the Department of Defense extends spousal benefits to same-sex couples, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons grants equal visitation rights. Yet there are a few federal agencies that still won’t recognize some same-sex marriages. They include the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Social Security Administration, and the Railroad Retirement Board. Each is bound by statutory language dating back decades requiring them to defer to state laws in determining who counts as married.

Which is it, recognize same sex marriage or dont recognize it?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I don't need government permission to marry. However, when I marry, I might like the government to recognize that marriage, and afford me the MANY benefits that come with marriage.
Agree with you SHOULDN"T need their permission, but you have too unfortunately. As far as government is concerned since they forced themselves into the marriage business they should have to recognize same sex marriage. Sometimes they don't.

My rub is the use of force when it comes to a private business. Let that business make the call. All one has to do is look at religious groups. I don't have religion but I'll fight for their right to not have others marriage forced on them. Let them fish from a smaller pond.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
That PERSON isn't FORCED. A PERSON who voluntarily enters into a contract is OBLIGATED to abide by the terms of the contract. They weren't FORCED to enter into the contract. They can void the contract at any time. However, if they want to continue to benefit from the contract, then they need to abide by the contract.

sigh... It's not about you princess. It's about others forcing an individual/private business to accept it.

Quote:
And again, as per rights, it is the people who are opposed to same-sex marriage who are trying to run other people's lives.
Again marriage isn't a right.

Quote:
Agreed but show proof I said it did.
It does effect others religious freedoms for one example.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,723,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well if your business is baking wedding cakes, you don't get to pick which weddings get and don't get your cakes if they are all paying customers. Though no one is forcing you to go to any one of these weddings, so you are never a part of a gay wedding.
Exactly... I'm forced to go against my religion. That is freedom & liberty in the 21st Century.
At least you know when to shut up, before you look like an idiot....

Old 03-06-2015, 08:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,723,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Wallace View Post
I agree with this, put into other words you don't get to deny service to someone based on who they love.

Who says?

If I am truly a free and sovereign individual. I can discriminate against anything and anyone I wish as my RIGHT as a free flesh & blood individual.(1st amendment right)
Freedom & liberty is your choice.... If you don't like it, turn around and walk away. A confrontation, may get you killed(my 2nd amendment right)

Force me to do something I do not wish to do, is going to get a revolution from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections