Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,053,260 times

Advertisements

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Forced Into April Runoff Election - ABC News

Supporting Obama and his policies is toxic to one's political future. This should have been an EASY WIN for Rahm.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,423,134 times
You do realize he is running against someone further to the left.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 PM

78,982 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Forced Into April Runoff Election - ABC News

Supporting Obama and his policies is toxic to one's political future. This should have been an EASY WIN for Rahm.
Dude, get a clue....the WORST dem in the world still beats a repub in Chicago based on demographics and machine voting.

What's happening is Rahm is facing a challenge from the faction that is objecting to his attempts to fix Chicago's budget and stand up to the unions.

So basically, you are utterly clueless because he's actually in a dogfight because he's trying to implement more fiscal conservatism.

Really, you jumped on this cowpie with no boots on.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
No. He just read the title, doesn't know sh*t about Chicago and assumed that a republican was about to oust Rahm for mayor.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,419,285 times
The point remains that Pres. Obama put in a ton of effort to get his pal Rahm over the hump, and it failed. That says something.

I expect that Rahm will in the end get his second term. He will probably even avoid a jail term unlike so many other Chicago politicos, The FBI will back off this time.

Vrdolyak trial puts "Fast Eddie" in slow, legal lane Vrdolyak finds self on unfamiliar turf - Chicago Tribune
Alderman Edward Burke, Part II: Top Machine Boss of Obama's Chicago-Style Politics - Breitbart
FBI asked questions on Rezko land deal - Washington Times
https://divisionstreet.wordpress.com...r-clean-wasnt/

And of course there is Blago and a slew of other Illinois governors, secretaries of state, etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The point remains that Pres. Obama put in a ton of effort to get his pal Rahm over the hump, and it failed. That says something.

I expect that Rahm will in the end get his second term. He will probably even avoid a jail term unlike so many other Chicago politicos, The FBI will back off this time.

Vrdolyak trial puts "Fast Eddie" in slow, legal lane Vrdolyak finds self on unfamiliar turf - Chicago Tribune
Alderman Edward Burke, Part II: Top Machine Boss of Obama's Chicago-Style Politics - Breitbart
FBI asked questions on Rezko land deal - Washington Times
https://divisionstreet.wordpress.com...r-clean-wasnt/

And of course there is Blago and a slew of other Illinois governors, secretaries of state, etc.
If you really knew Chicago, you'd realize that you just destroyed your initial argument with follow-up references to it's endemic corruption and machine politics.

Obama has little power in Chicago mayoral elections.

Do you even realize that it was the DALEY's that got Rahm elected and not Obama?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No. He just read the title, doesn't know sh*t about Chicago and assumed that a republican was about to oust Rahm for mayor.
I don't know much about Chicago, but I would certainly never think that a Repub would have a shot at the mayoralty. Chicago is as Dem as it gets. Pres. Obama rushed to Chicago just recently to get out the black vote, which was considered to be the key to winning. He'll most likely win again, but I like it that he has to work for it.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,027,308 times
Good for them for being able to break through the corruption and let the country know they want something better than a city owned by Obama-worshipping Democratic establishment overlords reducing its population to a state of minionship and subjugation. Rahm Emanuel as Mayor has failed Chicago in every sense of the word, and the city could do worse than to start anew, no matter who provides that fresh start.

That aside, I would really advise everyone here to read up on Chicago's political history and its interaction with the state as a whole; it's really quite interesting as one of the few large jurisdictions that have been under a dominant-party system with Democrats as the dominant party since the early 1930's. In the Depression they went for Democratic machine politics and never looked back, with rather interesting if negative results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Ah, but it sometimes takes someone further to the left to deliver better government, someone who may be further to the left but unlike the less-left predecessor actually cares about the city, has a vision for making it a better place for its people that transcends his/her own pockets, and has the will and guts to make it happen. Chokwe Lumumba's all-too-short Mayorship in Jackson, Mississippi is a case in point - he was an unrepentant far-left black nationalist militant but even by the right's standards Jackson was on a better track under him than his less-left predecessors.

Of course, Lumumbas are rare finds, which made his death all the more tragic, but there are different kinds of statisms, some of which yield much better living conditions for their people than others. I'm not saying that this guy will turn out to be Chicago's Chokwe Lumumba and I certainly am not expecting him to be, but I'd just like to point out that there are good reasons for anyone, even conservatives, to root for someone further to the left under certain circumstances.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,419,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you really knew Chicago, you'd realize that you just destroyed your initial argument with follow-up references to it's endemic corruption and machine politics.

Obama has little power in Chicago mayoral elections.

Do you even realize that it was the DALEY's that got Rahm elected and not Obama?
I am not going to claim to understand Chicago politics.

I met Lawrence Bloom waiting for the IC train back in the 80's. I asked him, 'where's your limo." He pointed to his shoes and said "these are my limos.' I figured, here is an honest and forthright Chicago liberal. He wound up a felon.
Alderman wants pardon for ex-Ald. Larry Bloom - Chicago Breaking News
Quote:
Bloom, who once proclaimed "I will not be bought," admitted accepting $14,000 in bribes from FBI mole John Christopher.
I will probably never understand Chicago politics, and perhaps will be better off for it.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,423,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't know much about Chicago, but I would certainly never think that a Repub would have a shot at the mayoralty. Chicago is as Dem as it gets. Pres. Obama rushed to Chicago just recently to get out the black vote, which was considered to be the key to winning. He'll most likely win again, but I like it that he has to work for it.
The black vote coming out in big numbers is probably Rahm's worst nightmare, since he lost a lot of support among black voters over his handling of public schools. Had Karen Lewis been able to run there was a good chance Rahm would have been straight up beaten, namely by black turnout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections