Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times

Advertisements

WTH?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR31sDHvpAA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Question: when was the last time the winner of the CPAC straw poll actually won the primary?
GW. Bush.

Before that it was Ronald Reagan

Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,892,806 times
Question 2016 What a Rat Race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
These are two issues that Republicans need to cede ground on if they want to remain a viable party in our political system.:

Homosexsuality, and religion.

Once Republicans divorce themselves from the latter, the former should come naturaly.

The issue of gay marriage is all but decided. The simple fact is, no one cares who others want to spend their lives with. In fifty, nay, twenty years from now, gay marriage will be a complete non issue, both legally and socialy. Young people are increasingly distancing themselves from the facets of religion, and they also don't see gay marriage as anything to be concerned about. The elder population that Republicans pander to with issues like these are dying off, and so too, will the Republican party if it doesn't change.
Well I wish I can argue with your point on Gay Marriage and the direct conflict with the Christian Faith.

But since the law suits are taking their toll on Voter driven Laws and DOMA has been over turned, (Everything is going to hell in a hand basket)
It has been decided for the moment.
The GOP need to stick to Conservative / Tea Party Values of Less taxes, smaller Gov and a strong Economy. that is the winner hands down. If people are making decent wages and business is booming all of these side issues go away.
Trump has it right. We need to take back our Jobs from Mexico and China . We do have a the Industrial might, we just need to exercise the machine!

Rethink our trade agreements with Mexico and Canada (Nafta)

Old 02-28-2015, 06:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,907,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Where has any Republican proposed or advocated regulation of "who others want to spend their lives with?"
Don't try and get cute, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ok, so Repubs don't care if a man wants to spend his life with another man, they just don't think that that couple deserves equal protections under the law the same as any straight couple.....

Fixed. Happy now?

No matter how you want to slice the pie, the GOP needs to drop the issue entirely, and quit taking stances against gay marriage. Maybe they don't have to support it, but they need to quit opposing it.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Impearch, let's hope they don't try: I would spell disaster for our party: as for the next President, I think you had better sit back and see what happens. It could be more interesting than you think and the party you think will go nowhere might surprise the heck out of you?
I hope you're right, I truly do, for the sake of our future as a country.

The Republican party really needs to get their $#%& together, and quick. They need to decide who is going to lead them in to the future, and decide what it is they stand for.

People on this thread have described the party as clowns, and right at this point, I can't disagree. We have no clear stand-out from the crowd. No one that everyone can agree should lead this party. Republicans can't even decide amongst themselves what they stand for, let alone articulate it to the American People. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton and the Democrats stand on the sidelines and laugh.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Don't try and get cute, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Ok, so Repubs don't care if a man wants to spend his life with another man, they just don't think that that couple deserves equal protections under the law the same as any straight couple.....

Fixed. Happy now?

No matter how you want to slice the pie, the GOP needs to drop the issue entirely, and quit taking stances against gay marriage. Maybe they don't have to support it, but they need to quit opposing it.
Unless they are going for religious-based conservatism, it's not an issue.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If you're talking "individual freedoms and liberties", it's not the Dems who are bashing gays in this country. Look in the mirror.
Repubs and Dems are two sides of the same coin my freind, hate to be the one to tell you this. Neither truly support individual freedom and liberty. They only support it if they agree with it.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Question: when was the last time the winner of the CPAC straw poll actually won the primary?
It's rare but if you want a "true" conservative to be the epublican nominee, go by winner of the CPAC of this year. Rand Paul has the most crossover appeal of any "true" conservative beyond the traditinao conservative base. The libertarian leaning youth voters will vote for him, you also may get more libertarians, and conservatives as well as perhaps more of the traditional Republican base. The issue is, will they get enough moderate voters who are the deciding votes.

That issue is that is an issue you can have with moderates as well as the traditional and modern conservatives.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,834,370 times
Quote:
Repubs and Dems are two sides of the same coin my freind, hate to be the one to tell you this. Neither truly support individual freedom and liberty. They only support it if they agree with it.
Just curious... how old are you?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Well I wish I can argue with your point on Gay Marriage and the direct conflict with the Christian Faith.
The thing to remember is that we do not live in a Theocracy. I am not bound by the dictats of your religion, nor you by mine. If you support real freedom, you'll recognize that just because Christianity opposes gay marriage, does not mean that it should be against civil law for people who are not Christian.
Quote:
But since the law suits are taking their toll on Voter driven Laws (Everything is going to hell in a hand basket)
You assume that "the voters" had the Right to strip other people ( gays ) of their Rights to begin with. They did not. Our founders didn't install a true demiocracy in this country precisely because they knew the damgers of mob rule, of the tyranny that can be imposed by the majority, on to the minority.
Quote:
It has been decided for the moment.
It has been decided quite likely for the rest of time, or for at least the next several generations. The South never did rise again, and neither will the issue of gay marriage....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections