Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,532,119 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to John Edwards? He was very popular at one time. Is he still around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think Webb, like a number of others who would seemingly be great candidates for POTUS, is too smart to want the job. We'll likely get nothing but another pair of political hacks fronting the two major parties.
Bears repeating.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
My former Democrat governor, Phil Bredesen, called Obamacare "The mother of all unfunded mandates." How about him or Joe Manchin?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,650,234 times
Hillary -- forget it. Not even a chance. I don't think she'll run, and if she does, she'll lose, as will any other woman. (This a good hunch; it's not a sexist thing. I'm a woman.)

Jim Webb is good, but he needs a hefty dose of brilliance; he's not an exciting speaker, and he'd have to loosen up and move out of monotone. He needs more fire to match that red hair, and he can pull on his family's deep roots in this country to pepper up his talking points.

Phil Bredesen is just as smart as Webb, if not more, because I think he really sees and understands details, but I'd worry about the perception of his age / health. He's very likable, and his "perceived state of health" is the only thing that bothers me. Still, I can see him easily winning debates (if he got that far or even wanted to run).

Joe Manchin -- I like that name. President Manchin. He's RC, could play up his Italian/Czech heritage, bring energy issues to the forefront with the WV coal industry (largely ignored and/or forgotten), and he has a solid, even personality, but behind the scenes, I think he can get very bullheaded and even slug/throw things around -- he has a temper that Jim Webb could borrow! He's also a bit of a flat speaker and isn't as gracious and naturally well-spoken as Webb or Bredesen. But he looks much younger than he is, and I feel like he could pull the NE vote pretty strongly.

I kind of had my hopes on Ben Carson, but his stance on gays won't change; he's not one to back-pedal, and though that's a definite plus (in that he won't flip-flop on his beliefs), he could lose a lot of votes with that. But I think he's still very much in the game and is the most personable among these people. I'd like to see all of them line up and debate.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Who Other Than Clinton Would You Like for the Dem Ticket?

The reality is both parties will pick political hacks, party insiders who've kissed enough party butt to punch their ticket to Valhalla, whose chance of winning is of far more importance to the party than anything they might possibly do for the country. Can't say I'm interested in any of those people.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times
Time to revive the ABC movement. Anyone But Clinton.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Time to revive the ABC movement. Anyone But Clinton.
I think it's time for ADRPH, anyone but a Democratic or Republican Party Hack.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:22 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,279,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Whatever happened to John Edwards? He was very popular at one time. Is he still around?

have you been in a coma for the past 7 years? after what he did to his wife who was dying of cancer and his legal troubles, John Edwards will never be elected for public office ever again. He won't get the women's vote which is crucial for any democrat in a primary and general election.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,463,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Elizabeth Warren, but I doubt she will be running in 2016.
She has my vote.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,279,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
She has my vote.

based on what, her class warfare rhetoric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections