Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM

37,831 posts, read 41,172,299 times

Advertisements

Nothing makes my blood pressure rise any more than the thought of John McCain becoming the Republican nominee. Mike Huckabee is a close second but John McCain has actually BEEN a destructive force nationally while Huckabee is still aiming to be that person. McCain has the Senate EXPERIENCE of being a thorn in the side of Republicans...and the other Republican candidates are doing a lousy job of pointing it out to people.

Can you believe after the illegal immigration debacle last year in Congress, led by Mr John McCain (with toady hysterical Lindsey Graham) and Mr Ted Kennedy, that people told the Washington Post pollers that John McCain is strongest on illegal immigration from among the Republican candidates? What rock are these people with short memories living under and why aren't the other Republican presidential candidates bringing up his record on this issue? Well, the sanctuary cities guys won't do it. The entitlement programs for illegal aliens candidate (Huckabee) won't do it? But what's the matter with the rest of them during the debates? And John McCain has been in the Senate since dinosaurs walked the earth. What has he done about visa overstays? Anchor babies? For crying out loud, he got an 18% approval rating from US Border Control. There are probably some Democrats with a higher approval rating than that.

And leadership? This is a man who graduated 5th FROM THE BOTTOM of his US Naval Academy class. Yes, he was a POW and his service was admirable but a leader? Did he make Admiral? He's been in Congress (House and Senate) since fire was discovered and through both REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRAT control. Can you tell me exactly how his "leadership" has had an impact on Washington spending? In other words, do really think this man has been an EFFECTIVE Senator on spending or just a showoff Senator on spending? Remember this is the guy who opposed the Bush tax cuts (which he is now cha-cha-ing on because he's running for President). Tell me about John McCain's experience on tax reform? What, he's had over 20 years to DO SOMETHING about it. Has he?

In 1999 he said he wouldn't repeal Roe V Wade. Since he decided to run for President in 2000, his tune changed.

Then there are the Republicans who think John McCain is going to keep them safe. Maybe if he was still in a boat taking order from someone in the Pentagon but this man wants to close Gitmo and put those terrorists in your hometown prisons. This man won't dunk the sheik if your family's life is in danger. Except for Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee all of the other Presidential candidates are strong on foreign policy. And that "I'm the only one on the stage to support the surge" line during the NC debate? Well besides Ron Paul in the House, who the heck else on the stage was in a position to support or not support the surge? They're governors, an ex-mayor and an ex-Senator. Rudy got to add his 2 cents on the surge because the President asked him to do it.

And judges? What kind of Supreme Court justices will this Gang of 14 MAVERICK appoint? Do you trust him not to go the MAVERICK route? We've got old Supreme Court justices. The next President is probably going to have to nominate one or two. Do you really want to take a chance with Maverick John McCain? This is a man who was rumored to have talked with John Kerry about being his running mate. Is this the man you want to shoot the dice on as an appointer of Supreme Court justices?

McCain says he may only be a one term President. We don't even know if he's going to ask a Republican to be his running mate. Yeah, we like Lieberman on Iraq but he's a Democrat through and through on everything else.

The mainstream media loves him because he's unpredictable. We don't need no stinkin' unpredictable President in the White House with his hand on the nukes button, in a position to appoint justices and who has a record of putting the screws to us in the past. The current Congress has lower approval ratings than George Bush and John McCain is one of the reasons why those approval ratings are so low. It's not JUST Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and their ilk.

Please, I beg you - Don't let this man fool you because of his military history and because the other Republican candidates seem loathe to point out why he'd make a bad President. The only momentum he has is from Independents and liberal media hype. Shut him down in Michigan and South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,707,147 times
The man scares me, everything goes back to war and his service. You could ask him about abortion and he would turn it to talk about the war and his service. I cant believe he is even in the polls, makes me think Americans are not paying attention.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 AM

50,519 posts, read 64,471,095 times
I know a lot of people have a real problem with McCain, but he's still better than any Democrat. Truthfully, I don't think he'll get far past NH. It's like NH is his reward for a life of service to the country, but he cannot sustain this.. NH was his highpoint.
Who do you like?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know a lot of people have a real problem with McCain, but he's still better than any Democrat. Truthfully, I don't think he'll get far past NH. It's like NH is his reward for a life of service to the country, but he cannot sustain this.. NH was his highpoint.
Who do you like?
Thompson and if he doesn't make it, I'd probably reconsider Romney or Giuliani. I like Duncan Hunter but his chances seem to be nil. I can't hold my nose and vote for McCain or Huckabee. I'd can't be complicit in having a member of our own party ruin it for many years to come.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,707,147 times
I will write mine in if needed. It wont help him but it is better than being partly responsible for putting the others in office.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,769,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Thompson and if he doesn't make it, I'd probably reconsider Romney or Giuliani. I like Duncan Hunter but his chances seem to be nil. I can't hold my nose and vote for McCain or Huckabee. I'd can't be complicit in having a member of our own party ruin it for many years to come.
hmm, you are willing to vote for a pro choice, pro gay marriage Guiliani and flip flopper fake romney? Yet you wont vote for a conservative like Mcain? Do you know guliani has the same position on immigration as McCain? I don't get it

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,729,963 times
McCain vs. McCain

YouTube - John McCain vs. John McCain

Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
hmm, you are willing to vote for a pro choice, pro gay marriage Guiliani and flip flopper fake romney? Yet you wont vote for a conservative like Mcain? Do you know guliani has the same position on immigration as McCain? I don't get it
Well, I'm not married or gay. I have no dog in that hunt. It's a conservative issue but it's low on my priorities. I trust Giuliani to do what he says on the judges. The one issue that no candidate talks about that happens to be high on my list is crime. I'm a pre-9/11 fan of Rudy, the District Attorney. Crime matters more to me than gay marriage. He stole Fred Thompson's tax plan. I like Fred Thompson's tax plan. I trust Giuliani on National Security. The reason he's behind Fred Thompson and Duncan Hunter on my list is illegal immigration and because I think he has no idea about what's going on in this country outside of big cities. I'm more worried about him being a big city boy, than a liberal.

I don't care if my president looks like the guy who hired me but flip flopping on anything does disturb me. That's why Romney is only a hold your nose and "reconsider" not a gimme for my vote.

The thing is, neither Romney or Giuliani have had the opportunity to put the screws to me so it's a crap shoot with them. McCain has actually done it.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 AM

384 posts, read 288,831 times
You people need to remember,McCain is 70 years old.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,657,219 times
I just keep remembering John McCain leading the charge to get government bogged down in useless grandstanding legislation against baseball in 2004 at the height of violence in Iraq.

The guy is a tool and needs to disappear. I can't stand Huckabee, but McCain right now has him beat badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections