Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 AM

403 posts, read 749,930 times

Advertisements

Well, me and my family just finished voting! I am 21 and this is the first time I registered(independent) and voted for Obama. I also got my mom to vote for Obama(she voted for Kerry over Howard dean because of Kerry experience and regrets it......this time, she decided to vote obama for me!) and my two brother(twins), both just turned 18 and don’t really care(just like me at 18) but are following my advice(trust your big sisters!) and voting for Obama.

Dad is a republican------he is for romney and besides he likes to vote the old fashion way----going to the polls.

Thanks for California early mail voting----------at least this way I know how they are voting. It’s like a caucus but without all the problems. Hate the secret ballot!

What about your mail-in vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 AM

365 posts, read 700,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post
Well, me and my family just finished voting! I am 21 and this is the first time I registered(independent) and voted for Obama. I also got my mom to vote for Obama(she voted for Kerry over Howard dean because of Kerry experience and regrets it......this time, she decided to vote obama for me!) and my two brother(twins), both just turned 18 and don’t really care(just like me at 18) but are following my advice(trust your big sisters!) and voting for Obama.

Dad is a republican------he is for romney and besides he likes to vote the old fashion way----going to the polls.

Thanks for California early mail voting----------at least this way I know how they are voting. It’s like a caucus but without all the problems. Hate the secret ballot!

no, I have not voted, I dont think Im going to...Id rather just pass than be the serious disgusting liar it would make out of me at this point...

Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,101,157 times
Well, some of us want to make sure the candidate is still running when our state holds their primary. For example, if you were for Bill Richardson, and voted two weeks ago for him, you wouldn't get a second chance to vote for someone else since he dropped out after you voted and before your state primary was held.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,264,302 times
I won't be voting until Super Tuesday, I agree with LauraC that I want to ensure my guy is still on the ballot before I cast my vote.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,215,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I won't be voting until Super Tuesday, I agree with LauraC that I want to ensure my guy is still on the ballot before I cast my vote.
Don't worry, Ron Paul will certainly still be on the ballot

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,900,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post

Can I ask you why you want to vote for Obama? Please don't tell me is because on television he sounds good. I am hoping you aren't voting on what is based on what is on television...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,264,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Don't worry, Ron Paul will certainly still be on the ballot
Hopefully, my candidate will too!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM

384 posts, read 288,073 times
---------------------------------------------------
How the heck can any one vote for a President NOW???
Sorry but to me thats got to be the dumbest thing any voter for that highest office could do.

What if something happens to Obama?
What if he dropped out?
What if someone finds something really bad about Obama's past?
what if...what if...what if...?????????????
Its really a wasted vote.
As far as the rest of the family voting for Obama,did they just tell you or did you see the ballot they voted on???
Ive always told my kids "I'm a Democrat" and voted that way but what they don't know is I'm an independent for the last 12 years and Ill vote my way,not what somebody else told me to do.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM

403 posts, read 749,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Can I ask you why you want to vote for Obama? Please don't tell me is because on television he sounds good. I am hoping you aren't voting on what is based on what is on television...

Reasons------

1) A President's most important job is to inspire us. Make us believe that we can do better than what we are doing right now. Barack Obama inspires me(we went to see him in new hampshire back in november when we were visiting Boston) and after 8 years of war, rising debt and same old politics, I want something more. I know it might sound childish to a lot of people over 40(or maybe I am sterotyping) but we young people need to believe in something bigger. I just don' want to vote for a candidate who is going to create more big goverment programs or give me tax cuts-------I want some hope and little sunny optimis (too much to ask?). I am more like leave-everyone-alone kind of democrats(who are mostly supporting obama).

2) Obama got the most conservative republican senator(Mr. Coburn ) to come with him to pass the legislative.Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act. He also limited the money the lobbyist could spend on food, and all clinton and the reporters could do as laugh and say 'well, they can eat while standing up ' and my mother was like, "what kind of a person eats in a resturant standing up?". What really suprised me is that after his defeat in Newhampshire, he got Kerry(one of the most liberal senator) and Johnson and Nelson(two of the most conservative democrats) support.........why? I mean it takes real courage from these senators to support Obama aganist the establishment candidate(clinton), these people are putting their career and influence on the line for Obama.

3) He is inexperienced, right?--------and yet he was aganist the war and if you read his writing in 2004 about his knowledge about the two muslim sect( which we are learning in our college right now) and how it will open a whole set of problems, if we go ahead with the iraq war. He was right and all the 35 year experience of Clinton was wrong.

4) Finally, he is staying above race and gender politics and is running a positive campagin. Thank god. Obama compars himself with not only MLK, but also comparing himself to lincoln and JFK. I know some people who are voting for Obama because he is black and there even more people, who are voting for Hillary because she is a women. Frankly, I don't care about those kind of people and I am tired of Clinton bringing this whole gender and race issue, it is just annoying.
What's the point of having the first women or first black guy in the office, if they are no different from the past white guys?

5) This is just simly anti-Clinton. I hate her for bringing this 'first women' thing. I am a young woman and I just hate this kind of campagin. This whole 'girl-power' is just stupid. I believe in equal rights for men and women and it doesn't require hating men. There are some supporters of Hillary, like my aunt, who think that any women not voting for her is some how following her husband or boyfriends order and is anti-liberal(that is so insulting!) and turning back the clock(how am I doing that ?).
Edwards and Obama were not 'those men' ganging on 'that woman'.......I don't know how can anyone believe this is beyond me(But sadly, I know these people).

Quote:
What if something happens to Obama?
What if he dropped out?
What if someone finds something really bad about Obama's past?
what if...what if...what if...?????????????
Its really a wasted vote.
As far as the rest of the family voting for Obama,did they just tell you or did you see the ballot they voted on???
Ive always told my kids "I'm a Democrat" and voted that way but what they don't know is I'm an independent for the last 12 years and Ill vote my way,not what somebody else told me to do.

1) oh dear! What if something happens to him.......Lol

2) His past is in his book....most of it......he smoked pot and did some drugs(and unlike Bill Clinton he inhaled). He is honest enough to say it and he told kids in college and high school about his experience and advised them to not do it!......that is something you don't see from a politican.

3) Finally, I am not going to vote for Clinton or any other person...... I am 100% percent sure about it. If it's Clinton and McCain(or any other republican) in the general election......it will take a ton of antidepressant pills to keep me sane and I am 100% sure that I will stay home.

4) California has mail in ballot, we get them in mail and send them in mail or you can take them to the office before the election night.

5) My dad also likes secret ballot......and he likes to go to the polls, you know, "like normal people did in the old days"

Last edited by jessica1000; 01-14-2008 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,503,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
How the heck can any one vote for a President NOW???
Because now is when the election is happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections