Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:00 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So it is just conservative vs progressive to you. The world isn't as black and white as you think it is "my friend.". Libertarians aren't exactly conservative especially religiously and libertarians are not just a tent for fiscal conservatism like say a Barry Goldwater or Ted Cruz or laizee fare economics like say David Koch but rather social libertarians like say Rand Paul (though he is fiscal too.)

Like Transformers, there's more than meets the eye. The sooner you realize that " my friend," the better. If not, you are lost.

It is Black & White.
There is either a Constitution or there isn't one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,328,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Do you think the filibuster in Texas by Wendy Davis was showboating?
Don't know, I don't really pay attention to Texas politics.

Quote:
How was it "designed to defund" Obamacare it was not even mentioned. The Bill was entitled Continuing Appropriations Resolution.

A Continuing Appropriations Resolution continues the pre-existing appropriations at the same levels as the previous fiscal year (or with minor modifications) for a set amount of time.

Obamacare was not a pre-existing appropriation at that time, so there was nothing nefarious by the House not including it in the CAR. It was the Democrats in the Senate that tried to change the Continuing Resolution into a Supplemental Appropriations Bill to fund their Obamacare legislation. There was NO REASON for them not to sign the CAR.
Which specific House bill are you referring to? The budget bills I saw the House sending all wanted to defund ACA.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:05 PM

920 posts, read 639,718 times
Quote:
Except the Suicide Caucus led by Mike Lee and Ted Cruz was against funding Obamacare at all costs. They wouldn't put a CAR out of that was a stipulation of it.
Because a CAR is related to pre-existing expenditures and Mike Lee and Ted Cruz understand that.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:06 PM

920 posts, read 639,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Don't know, I don't really pay attention to Texas politics.

Which specific House bill are you referring to? The budget bills I saw the House sending all wanted to defund ACA.

How convenient for you.

The issue of this conversation is about the CAR and whether it contained language defunding O-care. Having pointed out that a CAR is for PRE-EXISTING expenditures, which Obamacare was not at the time of the CAR vote, you want to change the focus to House budget bills. So you concede your argument that the shutdown was due to Ted Cruz "showboating" to defund O-care.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
How convenient for you.
Yes, I tend to pay attention to the state politics that I live in. I know Indiana is trying to pass a bad discrimination bill, but I am not investing my time to know what exactly is going on there because it isn't important to me what happens in Indiana. See how that works, so I cannot comment on a filibuster in a state I wasn't even paying attention to.

Quote:
The issue of this conversation is about the CAR and whether it contained language defunding O-care. Having pointed out that a CAR is for PRE-EXISTING expenditures, which Obamacare was not at the time of the CAR vote, you want to change the focus to House budget bills. So you concede your argument that the shutdown was due to Ted Cruz "showboating" to defund O-care.
So tell me, what was the point of Rafael Cruz's filibuster if you don't think it was about defunding ACA?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,433,755 times
Quote:
That and Romney only got two more states that McCain had in 2008 making up what was it, 30 electoral votes. Try telling me a Cruz would have gotten more votes with a straight face.
Every presidential election is a unique event. No one guessed that Reagan, who had been labeled as an ultra-conservative by the press, would be able to beat Jimmy Carter in 1980, yet he did. Few thought that Bill Clinton, a pot-smoking, draft-dodging, sex-addicted gov from Arkansas could dislodge HW Bush who had a resume longer than his arm. But Clinton did it. Hillary Clinton was widely considered the front runner in 2008. Few took seriously the guy whose name rhymed with "Osama." The guy won, and then won re-election.

Romney lost largely due to Obama's skill with identity politics. Romney won the white vote by 59%, but Obama won the non-white vote by 80%. Identity politics might not work so well against a guy whose last name is 'Cruz.' The name of the game right now is to rally the low info voter. I don't know if Cruz can do that, but I don't know that he can't either.

Crystal balls are a dime a dozen, and still not worth the price.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:24 PM

15,822 posts, read 12,523,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No one guessed that Reagan, who had been labeled as an ultra-conservative by the press, would be able to beat Jimmy Carter in 1980, yet he did. Few thought that Bill Clinton, a pot-smoking, draft-dodging, sex-addicted gov from Arkansas could dislodge HW Bush who had a resume longer than his arm. But Clinton did it.
No one? Few? The polling through those 2 election seasons showed them leading.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,433,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
link?

Flashback: Gallup Had Carter Up 4 Points Over Ronald Reagan in September 1980 | The Gateway Pundit

Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,308,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Reagan was 30 points behind Carter 9 months before the election, he was considered far too conservative to actually win, and the moderate establishment figures in the GOP really wanted HW.

Reagan was still 8 points behind on October 26, ended up beating Carter by 10% in the popular vote and got more than 90% of the electoral college votes.

As far as the "demographic problem" of the Republicans, these things change as well. Before the late 60's, many ethnic groups like Poles, Italians, Slovaks, etc., voted overwhelmingly and solidly for the Democrats. As they moved up economically, their votes became more in tune with the general "white vote", and I don't think they are even polled any more.

If hispanic voters and blacks actually do move up economically like other ethnic groups have, you can expect their loyalty to the welfare state above all other things to wane as well. Ironically, it isn't to the Democrats' advantage to have their largest supporters succeed economically.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:50 PM

This might help, here is the polls for the 1980 election.
Historical polling for U.S. Presidential elections - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here are the polls for the 1992 election.
Historical polling for U.S. Presidential elections - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections