Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,768,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Despite your bovinaphobia, the electoral map paints the same picture that most elections paint. The right and left coast have the dense voters that vote Dem and the rest of the nation (those flyover states that the liberals ignore or demean) vote GOP.
Well, yes, it is generally true that the states with the most voters vote D. If most voters vote D, then I fail to see why it's somehow a trick that the president is also a D.

Quote:
If you compare the electoral map from 2008 to 2012, Obama did not gain any additional states. The same states had additional electoral votes based on population growth. If everyone loves Obamacare so much, why couldn't he turn any other/new states blue?
It's true that Ds did not turn out in the midterms like many of us wish they would have. It is also true that Ds had noticeably more seats to defend than did the Rs. This was well-known before the election. In 2016, the D position will be stronger because D turnout is always better in a presidential election, and the Rs will be defending a lot more seats than the Ds will.

Congress is not a slam-dunk for the Ds in 2016 by any means, but I believe party strategists are expecting the ACA to become more popular, especially as voters see that the Rs can't deliver on their promise to repeal and/or fix it, and the R nomination circus turns off independents. And for the presidential race, they are expecting that the Rs will either nominate a far-right candidate that can't win the election, or a more moderate candidate that will have to draw significant cross-over votes to win, because the far-right voters will be in a snit and staying home.

I think most voters by now are pretty sick of the entire cast of usual suspects. So a truly centrist, non-ideological, reasonably fresh face would have a real shot at the presidency. But Hillary has the big money pretty much all sewn up on the D side, and the Rs are still obsessed with their internal culture war, not to mention the national culture war. So I honestly don't see where this fresher face will come from. I just don't see Rubio in this role.

But I have been wrong many times in my life, and I'm sure I'm not done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,772,116 times
It's funny to me how ya'll Republicans eat up this dog and pony show every election cycle- you REALLY think a guy like Cruz (or Carson, or Paul) has a chance.

And he NEVER gets the nomination

You'd think ya'll would learn seeings how it happens every single time.

Your candidate will be Jeb Bush. And after all the hand-wringing, ya'll will do as you're told and vote for him.

But it won't be enough to stop Hillary

Old 04-02-2015, 01:12 AM

27,163 posts, read 15,338,717 times
Quote:
We are talking about Ted Cruz. Focus...focus.... throwing in a red herring doesn't defeat the argument that Cruz' father is not running for office. As such, Cruz should be treated the same as Obama when it comes to vetting a candidate for office.

Obama was vetted?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:33 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Obama was vetted?
Use a little common sense - EVERYONE running for President gets vetted by all kinds of people - ESPECIALLY by those "looking for dirt".

"...In the course of the 2008 election, Barack Obama’s background was gone over not just by mainstream outlets like the New York Times, but by Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, the McCain campaign, and the RNC — all groups who had a vested interest in digging up campaign-killing dirt on Obama. They couldn’t even muster a doctored “whitey” tape...".

Barack Obama Was Vetted In 2008. Here's The Proof. - The Daily Banter

Ken

Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,881,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Use a little common sense - EVERYONE running for President gets vetted by all kinds of people - ESPECIALLY by those "looking for dirt".

"...In the course of the 2008 election, Barack Obama’s background was gone over not just by mainstream outlets like the New York Times, but by Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, the McCain campaign, and the RNC — all groups who had a vested interest in digging up campaign-killing dirt on Obama. They couldn’t even muster a doctored “whitey” tape...".

Barack Obama Was Vetted In 2008. Here's The Proof. - The Daily Banter

Ken
Exactly. When birthers whine that Obama "wasn't vetted" what they really mean is, we searched and searched and searched and couldn't find any dirt on him!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
If Jeb gets the gop bid, Hilary will be our next President.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Talking Oh how they have underestimate the man called CRUZ

My prediction:

Rafael Cruz will more than likely not seek re-election to his senate seat after performing abysmally in the GOP prez primary next year. He may even resign before completing his term. The boy's nothing but a shameless self-promoter and has no real interest in serving in elected office. He has his sights set on the big bucks that the low-info right will pay to hear him tell them that their cherished ignorance is good as gold.

He's a somewhat more articulate Sarah Palin.

Carry on.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My prediction:

Rafael Cruz will more than likely not seek re-election to his senate seat after performing abysmally in the GOP prez primary next year. He may even resign before completing his term. The boy's nothing but a shameless self-promoter and has no real interest in serving in elected office. He has his sights set on the big bucks that the low-info right will pay to hear him tell them that their cherished ignorance is good as gold.

He's a somewhat more articulate Sarah Palin.

Carry on.

Delusional people, have delusional dreams.
Ted has proved to be the worst nightmare the left has ever come to know, since Calvin Coolidge.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbow View Post
delusional people, have delusional dreams.
Ted has proved to be the worst nightmare the left has ever come to know, since calvin coolidge.

nominate him nominate him nominate him!!!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:14 AM

28,945 posts, read 30,297,243 times
I'm ok with him, but the juries not in yet....want to hear more from him on the important issues, like the economy, how can Americas create more jobs here....what is he going to do about all the illegals in this country? Obama Care? What does he intend to do about care for our vets....that needs to be improved....

I don't want to hear about gays, or abortion...I'm sick to death of hearing about it...that will not sway my vote in the least, since they are personal choices....period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections