Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 09:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,395,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It may not but it's Texas. Since the 1968 election it has mostly been a red state. The main reason it was blue in 1960 & 64 was LBJ being on the ticket. Texas is a Republican safe house like most of the south. Using his Texas win for a predictor for a national race like the primaries and general presidential election doesn't compute.
OK but that is a different argument from the one I responded to. The poster claimed that his success in TX would not translate nationally because he would not have the benefit of gerrymandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Every candidate out there right now has at least one MAJOR flaw. Cruz, Rubio, and Paul: 1 term Senators, which is a red flag given the current prez. Bush will be inevitably linked by the low-info voter to his brother who exited amid unpopularity. Carson has zero elected experience. Hillary has 30 years of scandals from Whitewater to cattlegate to travelgate to email-gate.

With all flawed candidates the field is wide open for whoever can work the hardest campaign the best, and earn the trust of the voters.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Every candidate out there right now has at least one MAJOR flaw. Cruz, Rubio, and Paul: 1 term Senators, which is a red flag given the current prez. Bush will be inevitably linked by the low-info voter to his brother who exited amid unpopularity. Carson has zero elected experience. Hillary has 30 years of scandals from Whitewater to cattlegate to travelgate to email-gate.

With all flawed candidates the field is wide open for whoever can work the hardest campaign the best, and earn the trust of the voters.

The most important word in that entire post.

TRUST.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
I would trust the man called Ted Cruz and the reason I sent him to the Senate. There he has done everything in his power, he said he would do, to right the constitution.

Hilary, not so much. I wouldn't trust her, to clean my toilet.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:15 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
I'll make you a deal, Bent.
If Ted Cruz gets the 270 electoral votes needed to win the Presidency, I'll come to Austin and clean your toilet.
If not, then you come to Idaho and clean mine.

How about it?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,964,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The most important word in that entire post.

TRUST.
It is, something that because of Cruz's nature, I cannot vote for. I cannot vote for a man that claims civil liberties but yet is part of the evangelical religious right. How do I know he won't want laws to take away civil liberties because he disagrees with them just like he does with Obamacare? The other thing with his nature is how uncompromising he is. As I've said before, a president is also compromiser-in-chief along with commander-in-chief and he has done nothing to win me on that. There's too many questions on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would trust the man called Ted Cruz and the reason I sent him to the Senate. There he has done everything in his power, he said he would do, to right the constitution.
So if you are not indeed from Texas like I always thought, you contributed to the Cruz campaign. I understand why you are so gung-ho on Cruz now...

Quote:
Hilary, not so much. I wouldn't trust her, to clean my toilet.
I may not trust her but I'll trust her as far as I could see her while Cruz I can trust only as far as I could lift him up to try and throw him. I honestly don't want to have them in the election. I might stay at home in that case as Arizona will vote for Cruz because most of the state's citizens are Republican pawns anyway and I'll be chosing from the same two candidates a 2004 South Park episode had for their new school mascot. Come to think of it, the debates will likely be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UthMHjoNyjA

Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 9,043,037 times
I have a rather interesting story to tell, concerning, peripherally, Rafael Edward Cruz.

One of my brother-in-laws (not the Tea Party one that has been on Federal disability for 2+ decades, but another one), is a very well-to-do businessman (stock adviser) who recently signed on with Senator Cruz's campaign as a 'bundler'. Said brother-in-law has been very active in the Republican party for quite a few years, has proven his ability to raise campaign money, and he was very welcome into the Cruz campaign.

Here are the oddities:

1. Said brother-in-law (in common with the Lazy One) believed that President Obama was not eligible to be President, since he suspected that he was born in Kenya of an American mother and African father. Yet, he seems to have no problem with the eligibility of Rafael Edward Cruz.

2. Said brother-in-law (and his wife, my sister) are home-schooling their children. When I asked why, back when they began with the eldest daughter, BIL responded that there were 'too many Mexican' children at the local grade school (where I attended, but back in the early 1960s; I guess demographics have changed). Interesting that said BIL is now working for a person of decided Spanish origin (in part).

3. If said BIL wished to invite Rafael Edward Cruz to his country club, he would have to obtain special permission from the Board. Unfortunately, the country club is limited to white people of non-Hispanic origin (plus, they cannot be Jewish). True, there are African-Americans and Hispanics at the club, but they are engaged in work activity (waiters, groundskeepers, etc). Perhaps Senator Cruz would be allowed to visit if he did not mind just serving a few drinks first.

I have not been able to meet with said BIL yet, to propose my questions. I do plan do to so. I imagine that he will 'deny all' (though how he would deny the country club is not obvious to me).

I do seem to be surrounded by hypocrites. One BIL rails against entitlements, all while receiving Federal disability payments that exceed his contributions to Social Security by a factor of a hundred or more (the average recipient receives some $300,000.00 over the life of their disability; since he is now 56, he is assured to remain on disability until 'retirement' age). The other one: well, I have just described his hypocrisy above. I guess he is attracted to the thought of 'imagine no more IRS', which Senator Cruz, apparently paraphrasing a John Lennon song, told the students at Liberty University.

Actually, I have a suspicion that said BIL is angling to rise up in the party via his bundling activities. I bet, in his heart of hearts, that he does not think that Senator Cruz will actually win, but to simply have worked for his campaign, and raising a good deal of money, will make him even more attractive to a true candidate in future (indeed, perhaps the near future, if Senator Cruz drops out after the first few primaries). We shall see.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:00 PM

592 posts, read 463,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
"the man call Ted Cruz" seems a bit awkward.

Perhaps one should write: "The man named Rafael Edward Cruz, son of Rafael Bienvenido Cruz, called "Ted" by family and friends".

I was very gratified to see that the students at Liberty University were only facing a $10.00 fine, plus a reprimand, if they chose to not attend the speech delivered by Rafael Edward Cruz, son of Rafael Bienvenido Cruz*.

Liberty University students faced $10 fine if they skipped Ted Cruz presidential speech | PunditFact

*note that the article points out that Rafael Edward Cruz was not a 'special' case; students at "Liberty" University must attend three 'events' per week or pay fines and face reprimands (such as, "Jesus is very, very disappointed in you"). This was just one of those events.
LIBERTY University .... hah! Can you say ironic news headline of the year!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM

920 posts, read 636,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have a rather interesting story to tell, concerning, peripherally, Rafael Edward Cruz.

One of my brother-in-laws (not the Tea Party one that has been on Federal disability for 2+ decades, but another one), is a very well-to-do businessman (stock adviser) who recently signed on with Senator Cruz's campaign as a 'bundler'. Said brother-in-law has been very active in the Republican party for quite a few years, has proven his ability to raise campaign money, and he was very welcome into the Cruz campaign.

Here are the oddities:

1. Said brother-in-law (in common with the Lazy One) believed that President Obama was not eligible to be President, since he suspected that he was born in Kenya of an American mother and African father. Yet, he seems to have no problem with the eligibility of Rafael Edward Cruz.

2. Said brother-in-law (and his wife, my sister) are home-schooling their children. When I asked why, back when they began with the eldest daughter, BIL responded that there were 'too many Mexican' children at the local grade school (where I attended, but back in the early 1960s; I guess demographics have changed). Interesting that said BIL is now working for a person of decided Spanish origin (in part).

3. If said BIL wished to invite Rafael Edward Cruz to his country club, he would have to obtain special permission from the Board. Unfortunately, the country club is limited to white people of non-Hispanic origin (plus, they cannot be Jewish). True, there are African-Americans and Hispanics at the club, but they are engaged in work activity (waiters, groundskeepers, etc). Perhaps Senator Cruz would be allowed to visit if he did not mind just serving a few drinks first.

I have not been able to meet with said BIL yet, to propose my questions. I do plan do to so. I imagine that he will 'deny all' (though how he would deny the country club is not obvious to me).

I do seem to be surrounded by hypocrites. One BIL rails against entitlements, all while receiving Federal disability payments that exceed his contributions to Social Security by a factor of a hundred or more (the average recipient receives some $300,000.00 over the life of their disability; since he is now 56, he is assured to remain on disability until 'retirement' age). The other one: well, I have just described his hypocrisy above. I guess he is attracted to the thought of 'imagine no more IRS', which Senator Cruz, apparently paraphrasing a John Lennon song, told the students at Liberty University.

Actually, I have a suspicion that said BIL is angling to rise up in the party via his bundling activities. I bet, in his heart of hearts, that he does not think that Senator Cruz will actually win, but to simply have worked for his campaign, and raising a good deal of money, will make him even more attractive to a true candidate in future (indeed, perhaps the near future, if Senator Cruz drops out after the first few primaries). We shall see.
As to your second issue regarding home schooling. Your BIL's issue is about the issue that public schools are forced to teach non-English speaking students to the detriment of the whole student body. Statistics have shown that as the non-English speaking student ratio increases, the overall ability to provide the best educational experience diminishes. How hateful of your BIL and sister to want the best for their children and to forgo an increase in income to provide that to them.

I could not agree more with you about the BIL sucking off the gubamint teat and then claiming to be a member of the Tea Party. That is definitely a hypocrite.

You have failed to show any hypocrisy by your other BIL. His membership at a CC that limits membership does not translate into racism. You already acknowledged that there are black and Hispanic club members. Your feelings towards your BIL who is working for the Cruz campaign sounds more like envy or bitter grapes from your end.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:21 PM

I'm not sure what a pair of nameless brothers in law prove about Ted Cruz. And I don't think it's hypocritical of a tea partier to collect SS disability. That's the system we have. We as conservatives are forced to participate in it via our FICA payments, so why wouldn't we take advantage of it when we have the chance?

We once had a tea party Senate candidate who was a farmer getting farm subsidies. Of course he was derided as a hypocrite. A newspaper columnist argued otherwise:
In defense of Clint Didier | The Seattle Times

Quote:
I talked to Didier a few days after the story came out. Clearly he was taken aback by the public reaction. A former player in the National Football League and also a high-school coach, he talks politics in the language of games.
“I didn’t set the rules of the game; I only played by the rules. And I want to change the rules,” he said. “I’m willing to give up these farm subsidies. We need to get the government out of creating all these dependencies.”
The columnist argued that he was the opposite of hypocritical on the matter. He was willing to work to eliminate a government handout that benefitted him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections