Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:47 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times

Advertisements

As you know, some people (but not the people who post here) vote for president based on superficial attributes so what superficial things do some possible Republican or Democrat candidates have going for them, in your opinion - no wrong answers) that might appeal to those voters?

Put both Democrat and Republican possible candidate name with each item below. Remember: first impressions.

Most physically attractive?
Most presidential looking?
Best hair?
Best sense of humor?
Best voice?
Smartest looking?
Smartest sounding?
Person with whom you'd like to have a beer/soda in a bar or at a sporting event?
Person with whom you'd like to have over for an informal dinner party?
Best dresser in casual clothes?
Most friendly when not campaigning?
Most likable spouse?
Most likely to tell the best stories?
Most likely to share your idea of where to go on vacation?
Most likely to spend their downtime doing some activity you like, too?

At the end of this year, we can revisit the thread and you can amend your post based on more knowledge of those actually running.

Do you know anyone personally who can be swayed to vote for someone based on superficial things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,252,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Most physically attractive?
Most presidential looking?
Best hair?
Best sense of humor?
Best voice?
Smartest looking?
Smartest sounding?
Person with whom you'd like to have a beer/soda in a bar or at a sporting event?
Person with whom you'd like to have over for an informal dinner party?
Best dresser in casual clothes?
Most friendly when not campaigning?
Most likable spouse?
Most likely to tell the best stories?
Most likely to share your idea of where to go on vacation?
Most likely to spend their downtime doing some activity you like, too?

In THIS field of candidates??!!!!

I say "None of the above".... for all.

Well, I guess if Sarah Palin decides to run then that could affect question #1, but that's it.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,484,001 times
Quote:
Smartest looking?
i keep chuckling over perry's sudden decision to wear big thick framed glasses.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i keep chuckling over perry's sudden decision to wear big thick framed glasses.
I know. I just don't know why he wants to be Buddy Holly.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,779,878 times
Smartest sounding: Jim Webb.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:07 PM

68,350 posts, read 54,496,641 times
Quote:
I know. I just don't know why he wants to be Buddy Holly.
Probably Because buddy Holly was far more appealing.....................................

Old 03-28-2015, 02:39 PM

I don't know if Alan West is thinking of running but he's the sharpest dressed person in a suit. (Runner up is Carly Fiorina) In fact, I can't picture West dressed casually. I'll give him Most Presidential Looking. On the other side it's probably O'Malley but that's only because he's really tall and people like tall presidents.

Humor has to go to Biden even if it's not done consciously. I hope he runs.

Person for dinner has to be Chris Christie. As a part Italian not only would he like the same food but yelling at dinner with a lot of people, like he's related, would be enjoyable. I pick him for the sporting event guy, too. In fact, that's where his demeanor would work in his favor - at some sports event in the stands and around a large dinner table with a bunch of relatives. If I was his ad people, and I wanted to use his demeanor in a way people could relate to him, I'd put him in that kind of setting. In Iowa, he shouldn't do the one on one stuff or the speeches, he should sit around the picnic table with a group of regular people and tell stories and exchange stories about their youth and maybe their families or he should go to some team sports events and yell right along with everyone else. In fact, it would really demonstrate the personality difference between him and the aloof cool Obama. I'm starting to see that Christie could really be appealing if he uses his regular guy personality in regular guy group scenarios instead of trying to be some northeastern guy in a suit who picks on individuals.

Best Hair: Rick Perry

Best Voice: I'm going to have to give this one to Huckabee. It helps if you have done radio.

Don't know much about the families of the candidates except Cruz has 2 girls that we saw when he made his announcement.

Do you realize we haven't had a President since JFK with a young son living in the White House? Ford's kids were all older than 18, weren't they? Nixon had girls. LBJ had girls. Carter had a girl. Bush the 1st didn't have young boys when he was in the White House. Reagan's kids were adults. Clinton had a girl. Bush the 2nd had girls. Obama has girls.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:52 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,843,161 times
ive said all along i'll vote for any non white over a white, even if i disagree with them politically, and many on here know that already.

i believe its important for more minorities in general to be in government and the current numbers don't reflect that at all.

not just in politics by the way, in other facets of society as well.

i'd welcome something like mugabe's land reform act based on demographics in every single city in the country.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,012,594 times
I don't think the appearance or color or sex of a person is what makes a good president. We should be voting for the person who can LEAD this country to success, and strength. Social issues should NOT be at the forefront of FEDERAL decision making. That's for the states to enforce and decide. The Federal Government is only supposed to protect our shores from foes. That's all.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:54 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,204,486 times
They say, when in doubt vote for the guy with the hottest wife. That's what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections