Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,701,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
That link sure looked legit. Had me fooled. Now I guess I can put "old Betsy" back in the closet.
Me too. I've been owned by a satirical rag. So sorry to all who took the bait like me. My sincere apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,158,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
He's got stiff competition even in the bid for evangelical votes, with Huckabee, Walker, and Rand Paul in the picture.
I would like to see a Rand/Cruz ticket.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM

15,822 posts, read 12,520,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I would like to see a Rand/Cruz ticket.
Democrats would love to see a Rand/Cruz ticket.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM

29,008 posts, read 30,454,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I guess I'm the exception here, but I think Ted Cruz is totally capable of running a good campaign if his base would only let him.

Problem is, they won't. He made his bed with the far right, and he probably won't jettison them in order to broaden his appeal.

That's the problem with black and Hispanic conservatives. They ALWAYS go over the top so that no one will question their bonafides. That's unnecessary since Republicans are happy to have any minority conservatives in their ranks.

A moderate black or Hispanic conservative would have incredible crossover appeal. Look what Herman Cain was able to do before the scandal. Even black voters found him palatable at a minimum.

By all rights, Ted Cruz should be cleaning up in the primaries and doing respectable numbers in the general. But he's too far to the right.
I agree with you, however, to me, and for me, he's a politician, and although I want to believe him, I don't....he talks a real good talk, but once in, he'll be another puppet and so will anyone, it's gone to far, Washington is way to powerful...

and Cain, the scandal happened when he became vocal about what he wanted to do, and they got rid of him real fast...he really wanted to do something constructive, but like a friend of mine says...

The dems and Rhinos are both owned by the corporations...and they do what the corporations want....just like Obamacare, which was totally designed by the insurance companies.

I don't like any of the others, and voting for an independent is a wasted vote...so? but maybe I'll change my mind, we've got a long way to go...but as far as someone putting America back in place, never going to happen....they've divided this country and that is how they want it....both sides are corrupt..

Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM

68,397 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
We can tell which candidates are feared by who has threads started about them by liberal posters. We've had several threads from liberal posters on Cruz and Scott Walker. I can't remember the last thread started by a liberal poster on Mike Huckabee.
Can you remember the last time (if any) Huckabee was taken as a serious contender for the nomination?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,342,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, Christians are fodder for jokes, in your opinion? Isn't that a bigoted thing to say? Do you consider yourself a bigot?
Yes...Christians ARE fodder for jokes. LMAO

Good fodder too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
When we kick God out of our country, it's over. We are already in serious decline with Barack Obama, our first anti-Christian, anti-Jew, pro-Muslim, anti-free market and anti-American president. But he's black.
Kick God out of our country?

So was God here during slavery and Jim Crow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you, however, to me, and for me, he's a politician, and although I want to believe him, I don't....he talks a real good talk, but once in, he'll be another puppet and so will anyone, it's gone to far, Washington is way to powerful...

and Cain, the scandal happened when he became vocal about what he wanted to do, and they got rid of him real fast...he really wanted to do something constructive, but like a friend of mine says...

The dems and Rhinos are both owned by the corporations...and they do what the corporations want....just like Obamacare, which was totally designed by the insurance companies.

I don't like any of the others, and voting for an independent is a wasted vote...so? but maybe I'll change my mind, we've got a long way to go...but as far as someone putting America back in place, never going to happen....they've divided this country and that is how they want it....both sides are corrupt..
Cain is proof that a minority Republican that sounds half ass reasonable and has an agenda that he can run on (even if it's as ridiculous as Cain's 999 plan...but at least it was easy to digest and understand), can gain traction and broad appeal. People were actually taken with Herman Cain and he was very charismatic to boot...

A very rational sounding Ted Cruz could do very well in an election. He's Hispanic and from a big state. If he were a moderate Republican with a broad based agenda, he'd be scary.

Look, you're not gonna get a right wing wacko in office. That's never gonna happen. Conservatives should get that through their heads. This country tilts center/right, yes, but in presidential elections, the candidate will have to appeal to the center of the country. The right wing wacko stuff only works in Senate and House elections.

It's like Republicans can't remember (with all the revisionism) that Reagan NEVER ran as a flaming wing nut. Neither did H.W. Bush. They pushed a mild form of conservatism but they never took it too far.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,911,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Kick God out of our country?

So was God here during slavery and Jim Crow?
The God that is worshiped by fundamentalist white Christians? Yes, that God was here and he approved of it. According to Jefferson Davis, "Slavery was established by decree of Almighty God. It is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation."

That's the God the fundies are all upset is being "kicked out of the country." To which I say, good riddance.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,038,902 times
I wouldn't underestimate this guy.

I personally think his far right conservatism is just a ruse for headlines and getting attention. I think once the debates come out, he'll actually get into the meat of his articulating his plan.

The man was a Princeton ccum laude graduate of the Woodrow Wilson school of Policy School, in addition to being a national debate champ. He's also a magna ccum laude harvard law grad and editor of the Harvard Law Review. His Harvard Constitutional Law Professor who was at Harvard for OVER 50 years...called him "off the charts brilliant"....I'm saying this to say that this man is NOT dumb. He certainly has the academic aptitude and ability to put together an interesting strategy for the Presidency.

Right now, PredictWise reported that he has a 1.6% chance of becoming President, but I think A LOT of that could change within the next year as he prepares for the debates. I've never seen him in a debate, but I'm curious to see it all kick in once it's go time.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,429,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You are aware that Tad Cruz officially declared that he would make church mandatory?
Perhaps the OP should have provided this link. It's not the same as Kennedy in anyway.

Ted Cruz Adds Mandatory Church To Platform After "Inspiring Words" From Sylvia Allen | National Report

"Cruz’s proposal, which his campaign staff says will become an “official” part of his platform over the next several days, would require all Americans to visit “a church or other religious property” at least once each month, unless they meet certain exemption standards, which have not been formally announced yet. Failure to comply would result in a fine, and going several months without a church visit could even result in jail time."

To me, it smacks too much like Christian Sharia Law being made a part of our government system.
I don't think the majority of voters are going to get on board with his programs. Especially the "go to church or go to jail", part.
That right there should be enough to send him plunging to the bottom of the electoral heap.
I think there is a 99.9% likelihood that this is fabricated garbage. I can't find any other sources for the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Journal
“People think that Senator Sylvia Allen is crazy, but what’s so crazy about Americans of all stripes reaffirming their faith in God?” Cruz asked
. If Cruz said this it would be on page one of the NYT, WAPO, and every other D house organ.

It makes no sense given the Constitutionalist/libertarian bent of Cruz. Provide proof, preferably recorded audio, or apologize for passing along a fabricated smear. One or the other.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,389,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Democrats would love to see a Rand/Cruz ticket.
Sure you would. We all know that's a tactic, designed to cast doubt among Cruz supporters. Sorry. Doesn't work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections