Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,328,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Many, many of us are able to refrain from violence and murder without having to be told or threatened with damnation. For the rest of you who apparently have no such ability, I'm glad there's an outside force that keeps you from your murderous ways.
I wonder what prevents all us atheist and agnostics from violence and murder without believing in a fictional characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Many, many of us are able to refrain from violence and murder without having to be told or threatened with damnation. For the rest of you who apparently have no such ability, I'm glad there's an outside force that keeps you from your murderous ways.

Then what is the purpose of spewing all the hate?
When there is no Jesus in their life, they get to that point of confrontation.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:12 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Don't blame me. I support the constitution. But there's more to Cruz than his stance on the constitution. Like his position on social issues. And that's where he'll lose the center. And without strong support from centrists and independants he won't win.
Yeah and his beliefs are a bit contrary to it because of his religious beliefs. Not a good combination if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I really do hate to remind you..The original Constitution has many Amendments..Are you truly asking America go back to the Original Document ?? Remember that was like 320 years ago..You expect the population of NOW to accept such simplistic rules?? Good luck with that notion
Yeah this is what I don't get about strict construction followers. If you look at the original document there are NO individual rights, it's just the set-up and restrictions to the federal government. The federal government didn't even have no right under the original document to squash states' rights, that was an amendment just as individual rights were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ted "Imagine abolishing the IRS" Cruz thinks that will somehow reduce the debt, pay his salary, and pay for his ground troops and wars.
Yeah, removing the IRS is just a drop in the bucket in debt. Still will have trillions each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
You need to look at his recent speech at Liberty University or his interview with CBN. The interview is chock full of religious rhetoric and him bemoaning how we have "ceded the public arena to people who aren’t believersâ€.

He's right up there with Pat Robertson and his 2012 claim that God doesn't support President Barack Obama's agenda.
Yeah, Cruz's religious beliefs are VERY off putting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Which social issues?

The right to be free, with individual liberties?

Where does the US Constitution, give the federal government, the authority to even deal with social issues, unless it is a civil war?

The only jobs the federal government has are, Keeping us safe from a foreign invasion.(they are actually helping that happen in a non-violent way)
To keep us, competitive in the world economy(for some reason they feel the need to control our economy as a collective of nations(States).)
To keep the states from fighting with each other over commerce.(Today the government tries to keep the states from selective interstate commerce(Keystone, health insurance, firearm sales).)
Where were the rights of the individuals in the ACTUAL Constitution? NONE WERE GIVEN WITHOUT THE AMENDMENTS.

As for social issues, the issue with Cruz is he claims to be libertarian but he does have social conservatism based upon religious belief. I know it may be Scotsman territory but no true libertarian is really socially conservative.

Quote:
Ted & Rand would easily win their home states. By big numbers.
Big shock, a Republican winning Texas, that has only happened everytime when Nixon ran in 1968.

Kentucky is a bit of a swing state.

Romney's state of Massachusetts is traditionally blue so that would have been hard to win as a Republican.

Quote:
You don't want the IRS abolished?
You are one of the 5%.

Do you work for the federal government, by chance?
Really, 95% of American honestly want the IRS abolished? Only 60K people on Facebook are a part of the Abolish the IRS facebook group while there are 128 million Americans on Facebook. Now yes, there can be more but this is a fairly accurate sample.

Quote:
Freedom is a very scary thing. Where you and you alone are responsible for your survival.
Yeah because freedom allows you to fly your freak flag and do things that can infringe on my rights. It's old adage of your rights end, where mine begin. The issue is where one's rights end and another's begin. Take for instance someone who can now smoke in public (tobacco or marijuana) they can smoke freely while someone who has say Asthma, COPD or lung cancer has to live with it. The same can be said public nudity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Huckabee and Cruz are in completely different camps, and GOP primary dynamics for them will be completely different. Huckabee is more of a "big government conservative" a la W Bush. Rick Santorum is much in that mold too. Huckabee has long argued that the libertarian strain in the GOP is a bad thing.
Mike Huckabee

Cruz is just the opposite. He has always been a limited-govt, Constitutionalist, and if not libertarian, at least libertarian-friendly.
Ted Cruz Speech Nods to Increasing Libertarian Views within Republican Party | Cato @ Liberty
I think the difference can be a way to separate the three BUT the issue isn't who gets the most votes but putting up a candidate that can win. If not, we'll face another Goldwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
IMO both Huck and Santorum stumbled in the GOP primaries because of their big-gov't, anti-libertarian views. This will not apply to Cruz. The main problem for Cruz will be persuading GOP primary voters that he is more Reagan than Goldwater. In other words that he is electable. Only time will tell whether he can do that.
I think that is possible and if you ask me, he is too much of a Goldwater. Plus between Reagan and Goldwater, Reagan was an executive while Goldwater wasn't. Plus Goldwater was the prototype of a libertarian like Cruz wants to be. Goldwater lost decisively. No Republican has lost that bad besides Hoover in 32 or Taft in 12.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Where were the rights of the individuals in the ACTUAL Constitution? NONE WERE GIVEN WITHOUT THE AMENDMENTS.

As for social issues, the issue with Cruz is he claims to be libertarian but he does have social conservatism based upon religious belief. I know it may be Scotsman territory but no true libertarian is really socially conservative.

Our rights are not granted..... Only privileges are. Remember that.

Freedom of religion, does not equal freedom from religion. But we all knew that.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:26 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
Our rights are not granted..... Only privileges are. Remember that.

Freedom of religion, does not equal freedom from religion. But we all knew that.
You do realize that before the initial amendments were ratified we didn't have true rights by being American, right? Before amendments were ratified, the government could have easily mandated religion, suppressed free speech, not allowed you your gun for a militia, you can't vote, certain searches and seizures to not be barred, your due process when you are in court to be a true joke, etc. These are Constitutional RIGHTS (or Privileges in a non law sense.) Compare that to say social safety nets like Social Security and Unemployment, those are PRIVILEGES because they are laws rather than given by the Constitution. Rights vs Privileges

Old 04-03-2015, 03:48 PM

26,576 posts, read 14,532,869 times
Quote:
When there is no Jesus in their life, all they have left is violence and murder.
that's a surprise to this agnostic. do the jews know about this?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,914,055 times
Quote:
Then what is the purpose of spewing all the hate?
When there is no Jesus in their life, they get to that point of confrontation.
You should ask the Christians that question. I can't answer why they spew so much hate, and they do it in the name of Christ.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM

37,955 posts, read 17,980,312 times
Quote:
You should ask the Christians that question. I can't answer why they spew so much hate, and they do it in the name of Christ.
Why do you do it and who do you do it in the name of? The hypocrisy is so thick you can cut a knife with it.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 PM

37,955 posts, read 17,980,312 times
Quote:
You do realize that before the initial amendments were ratified we didn't have true rights by being American, right?
You get your rights as an individual, not by being an American.

Quote:
Before amendments were ratified, the government could have easily mandated religion, suppressed free speech, not allowed you your gun for a militia, you can't vote, certain searches and seizures to not be barred, your due process when you are in court to be a true joke, etc. These are Constitutional RIGHTS (or Privileges in a non law sense.) Compare that to say social safety nets like Social Security and Unemployment, those are PRIVILEGES because they are laws rather than given by the Constitution. Rights vs Privileges
Government takes away rights, they do not grant rights.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:32 AM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You get your rights as an individual, not by being an American.

Government takes away rights, they do not grant rights.
Sez you. If you were female, black or gay, you would say otherwise. All have gotten rights long denied by both individuals and the government earlier on. The government does give and does take away. Someone gets something from someone who just got something taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections