Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM

12,715 posts, read 7,872,145 times

Advertisements

I think this election is shaping up to be like 2004 in that it will be entirely focused on social issues like abortion, gay marriage, and religion in government. The religious right is the angriest they have ever been right now and with the national economy improving, I see the GOP running a "values voter" campaign. Since 2004 however demographics have changed as well as the country's overall acceptance of gay marriage so I don't see them being successful. Swing states like Colorado, Ohio, and Virginia will probably go blue handing the election to Hillary or whoever the Dems nominate. I think the Republican Party would have chance in 2016 if they would ditch social issues but I don't see them doing that, especially as angry as the religious right is over gay marriage right now.

Do you think social issues will dominate the 2016 campaign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 05:33 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,701,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think this election is shaping up to be like 2004 in that it will be entirely focused on social issues like abortion, gay marriage, and religion in government. The religious right is the angriest they have ever been right now and with the national economy improving, I see the GOP running a "values voter" campaign. Since 2004 however demographics have changed as well as the country's overall acceptance of gay marriage so I don't see them being successful. Swing states like Colorado, Ohio, and Virginia will probably go blue handing the election to Hillary or whoever the Dems nominate. I think the Republican Party would have chance in 2016 if they would ditch social issues but I don't see them doing that, especially as angry as the religious right is over gay marriage right now.

It's the only option the republicans have. They can't run on the economy. Economy is doing fine in spite of their best efforts to destroy it. They can't run on helping the middle and lower class as they've done everything they can to dismantle all the programs that benefit them. They can't run on minority issues as they have constantly defamed and marginalized minorities. They can't run on woman's issues and they can't run on their record, as their record is abysmal for the last 6 years and pretty darn poor the previous 8 years.
It has to be the whole "Moral Compass" argument and how "America has lost it's way" and they will find it for us again. Like Ted Cruz's platform of making church mandatory for all citizens. Now that's something to run on.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,035,701 times
People in the general election always vote based on the economy.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:40 PM

601 posts, read 969,445 times
It depends on the state of the economy. If we get another crash like in 2008, or even the one like 2001, then fiscal policy will be at the forefront. However, if the economy remains the same between now and late next year, I do see there being a focus on social issues.

And I do agree with you; Republicans will likely stay at a disadvantage as long as they keep their views on various social policies, particularly issues like LGBT rights and immigration. White males are still the one group that reliably votes for Republicans versus other race groups and gender. However, if Republicans don't make grounds with other minority groups, like Hispanics for example, they are going to face a real dilemma come 2040, when there will be more minorities than Whites.

I think there is still a large group of people, including minorities, that find fiscal policies appealing. But for many people, certain platforms on social issues can be a deal breaker.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,035,711 times
Yes, I think so. The U6 unemployment rate is down to 2008 levels, and has been lowering since a high of 17% in 2009. It now stands at 11%, and will go below 11% in the next few months. The trajectory has been that the U6 has been going down about 1.5% every year. If the pace continues, U6 should be about 9.0%-9.9% by election time, that will put us at the same level of unemployment before the 2008 crisis.

http://portalseven.com/employment/un...07&toYear=2015

Old 03-29-2015, 05:55 PM

U3 should be below 5% given the trajectory. That will be extremely difficult to run against.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,035,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
U3 should be below 5% given the trajectory. That will be extremely difficult to run against.
By all indications, overall unemployment is set to be around pre-crisis or shortly after crisis levels. If it holds up by then, 2016 will have a Democratic president. It's shaping up for a very tough year for the GOP. No matter who the Democratic nominee is, the GOP is offering either Bush or a wingnut as a candidate. Just the name Bush will be a tough sell to the American people, and contrary to popular belief, moderates are not into people like Ted aka Rafael Cruz, Marco Rubio, or Rand Paul. Those 3 are probably the most likely of the non-Bushes to be nominated, and they pander to the base.

The GOP propaganda machine at Fox News and EIB Network can spin the data all they want, the economy has largely recovered and has recovered at the pace even Obama said it would.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,305,272 times
I expect the Democrats to bring up the social issues at every possible opportunity. That strategy seems to work for them on a national level, as the Republicans are shy about returning fire.

Most people don't understand quantitative easing and talk about an $18 trillion debt is something few can get their brains about. On the other hand, issues like abortion, and gay marriage, and gun control, these are issues that people understand and what to hear about.

So the GOP will talk about economics and it will go in one ear and out the other of the voters.

The Dems will talk about the "war on women", and without a rebuttal they can't help but win the argument.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 PM

With 5% U3, it would be stupid for the GOP to focus on the economy.

The Blue Wall makes the GOP job next to impossible (POTUS), but a 5% U3 doubles down how hard it will be.

After all, the GOP got shellacked in the electoral vote with 7.2% U3, and about 13% U6.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,795,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The religious right is the angriest they have ever been right now especially as angry as the religious right is over gay marriage right now.

I'm amazed at how crazy the GOP has become in their anger over gay marriage. The comments I've read at other sites have gone from snark to outright fury in a relatively short time. The GOP is fueling something they may deeply regret.

Last edited by Seacove; 03-29-2015 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections