Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 11:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times

Advertisements

"Democrats are badly split on geographic and political lines over whether to support or oppose a bill allowing Congress to review and possibly vote on a nuclear deal with Iran. The debate is pitting New York Democrats worried about losing Jewish donors to Republicans against California Democrats determined to back President Obama and grasp a chance at an historic deal. Jewish Democrats such as New York Sen. Charles Schumer and New York Reps. Eliot Engel and Steve Israel worry that if the deal backfires their party could pay the price in future elections. They are more reflexively concerned about Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s criticism of the nuclear talks, memorably delivered to Congress in blunt terms last month."

There's more here:

New York, California Dems square off over Iran | TheHill

I figure if we wait long enough, by 2016, the only group the Obama administration won't have ticked off is the PGA. Remember, there will be more seats up for grabs on Capitol Hill, not just the White House. Will 2016 also be an anti-Obama vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
It's really great that some reporter decided to piece together a story especially when Congress hasn't met in two weeks. I wonder how many articles he went through to create this. By the time Congress comes to review any of this, they'll be on Summer break.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's really great that some reporter decided to piece together a story especially when Congress hasn't met in two weeks. I wonder how many articles he went through to create this. By the time Congress comes to review any of this, they'll be on Summer break.
I don't know. I see a lot of quotes in the piece plus this at the end:

“The phones have been busy. There’s an intense flurry of lobbying on both sides. AIPAC is so aggressive and organized and they have home-state members reaching out to our office,” said the aide to an East Coast Democratic senator. “The White House has been busy calling too,” the aide added, referring to pushback from the administration intended to kill the Corker bill."

Same link as in the original post.

I'm betting hot topic on the Sunday news shows despite the Hillary/Rubio announcements due.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:10 PM

273 posts, read 350,310 times
With the surging Latino population the Jewish vote is becoming increasingly irrelevant to the success of the Democratic Party, particularly in California. Jews make up roughly 2% of the population while Latinos will be the majority by around 2050. I don't think the Democrats are losing too much sleep about this. Lol

Old 04-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,597 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know. I see a lot of quotes in the piece plus this at the end:

“The phones have been busy. There’s an intense flurry of lobbying on both sides. AIPAC is so aggressive and organized and they have home-state members reaching out to our office,” said the aide to an East Coast Democratic senator. “The White House has been busy calling too,” the aide added, referring to pushback from the administration intended to kill the Corker bill."

Same link as in the original post.

I'm betting hot topic on the Sunday news shows despite the Hillary/Rubio announcements due.
Most of the quotes are from the 2 Democrats you mentioned in the OP or from "Activist fundraisers"(their words, not mine).

Also AIPAC is the conservative Jewish Group. you want to scare Democrats, put a quote in there from J Street.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Democrats are badly split on geographic and political lines over whether to support or oppose a bill allowing Congress to review and possibly vote on a nuclear deal with Iran. The debate is pitting New York Democrats worried about losing Jewish donors to Republicans against California Democrats determined to back President Obama and grasp a chance at an historic deal. Jewish Democrats such as New York Sen. Charles Schumer and New York Reps. Eliot Engel and Steve Israel worry that if the deal backfires their party could pay the price in future elections. They are more reflexively concerned about Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s criticism of the nuclear talks, memorably delivered to Congress in blunt terms last month."

There's more here:

New York, California Dems square off over Iran | TheHill

I figure if we wait long enough, by 2016, the only group the Obama administration won't have ticked off is the PGA. Remember, there will be more seats up for grabs on Capitol Hill, not just the White House. Will 2016 also be an anti-Obama vote?

Wow the GOP must be truly desperate if a story of such little import is their "good news." Perhaps the GOP should concentrate on an actual platform involving job creation, boosting the middle class and ways to promote the welfare of the US rather than hoping a couple of demographics are split over Obama policies and of course, their usual negative campaign.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
With the surging Latino population the Jewish vote is becoming increasingly irrelevant to the success of the Democratic Party, particularly in California. Jews make up roughly 2% of the population while Latinos will be the majority by around 2050. I don't think the Democrats are losing too much sleep about this. Lol
I beg to differ. Voters, maybe not. Donors, yes. Think about where Obama heads whenever he needs money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections