Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I said if the Democrats had a lock in the swing states because of their platform, it would reflect also in the governorships and house/senate.....it don't....Republicans have 31 governorships to 18 for Democrats and a majority in the house and senate.

Again, my point was when it comes to the WH, it has nothing to do with party platform....it has everything to do with who is the more likeable candidate and who runs a better general election campaign on the ground......Bill Clinton and Obama just happened to be more likeable candidates and ran better campaigns than Dole, Mccain and Romney.........the question is can Hillary do what they did and make the majority of the electorate come out and vote for here.

You can't assume because Bill and Obama did it when they ran that Hillary can duplicate what they did....totally different candidate and circumstances ....when Bill and Obama ran the nation was tired of Republican Rule in the WH and rode the change wave....Hillary is running for an Obama 3rd term. I don't see the younger voters turning out for Hillary like they did for Obama and Bill.
If presidential elections were just about personalities instead of platforms, you wouldn't have 31 states voting the same way for 6 or more elections in a row.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,309,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If presidential elections were just about personalities instead of platforms, you wouldn't have 31 states voting the same way for 6 or more elections in a row.

I didn't say just personalities......a lot of other things take into effect, like economy and who can articulate best their plan.

again, Bill Clinton and Obama are smooth operators in campaign mode, they can articulate bullshi@t and make it believable and look sincere and natural.......Not so much Hillary.......if she wins it will be barely and it won't be easy.

its always about the candidate.....since 1960, the more likeable and smoother campaigner, its the one that won in the general. From JFK 1960 , Nixon 1968 , Carter 76, Reagan 80 & 84 ,Both Bush, Clinton 92 & 96 and Obama 08 & 12..

if Hillary can look and sound natural and believable with her B.S. , she will win....if not, then I like the Republican's chances.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:21 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
I didn't say just personalities......a lot of other things take into effect, like economy and who can articulate best their plan.

again, Bill Clinton and Obama are smooth operators in campaign mode, they can articulate bullshi@t and make it believable and look sincere and natural.......Not so much Hillary.......if she wins it will be barely and it won't be easy.

its always about the candidate.....since 1960, the more likeable and smoother campaigner, its the one that won in the general. From JFK 1960 , Nixon 1968 , Carter 76, Reagan 80 & 84 ,Both Bush, Clinton 92 & 96 and Obama 08 & 12..

if Hillary can look and sound natural and believable with her B.S. , she will win....if not, then I like the Republican's chances.
On the contrary, the Republicans need to be smooth. I don't see any candidate of them being the smooth operator and instead using fear similar to Goldwater in 1964 and Nixon in 1968. Nixon win because he stayed topical with the issues America faced while Goldwater like the the current Republicans are against things that we are pretty much dug into.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,864,627 times
Quote:

I agree. Hillary is not very likable on the trail. She is actually a lot like romney in that regard. She has always seemed fake and forced. This is where someone like Rubio can really make inroads in a general election. This is also where Paul has a lot of work to do.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:02 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,309,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
On the contrary, the Republicans need to be smooth. I don't see any candidate of them being the smooth operator and instead using fear similar to Goldwater in 1964 and Nixon in 1968. Nixon win because he stayed topical with the issues America faced while Goldwater like the the current Republicans are against things that we are pretty much dug into.
the Republican nominee only needs to be natural when speaking and have a good campaign. Hillary is no Bill or Obama in the campaign trail. The more she opens her mouth the less likeable she is.

History proved Goldwater was the better candidate than LBJ by far. His downfall was the dirty tricks of LBJ and that there was no way the Democrat party was going to lose the WH after JFK's death just less than a year before. LBJ rode the sentimental emotions of the county of JFK's death to victory...any other time Goldwater was the better candidate and leader. LBJ was a failure. The wrong man won in 1964.

Nixon wasn't more likeable than JFK in 1960 but he sure was more likeable than Hubert Humphrey in 1968.

who is "we" when you say the things "we" pretty much dug into???? smaller government? lower taxes for all working Americans regardless of social class?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,796 times
Quote:
the Republican nominee only needs to be natural when speaking and have a good campaign. Hillary is no Bill or Obama in the campaign trail. The more she opens her mouth the less likeable she is.

History proved Goldwater was the better candidate than LBJ by far. His downfall was the dirty tricks of LBJ and that there was no way the Democrat party was going to lose the WH after JFK's death just less than a year before. LBJ rode the sentimental emotions of the county of JFK's death to victory...any other time Goldwater was the better candidate and leader. LBJ was a failure. The wrong man won in 1964.

Nixon wasn't more likeable than JFK in 1960 but he sure was more likeable than Hubert Humphrey in 1968.

who is "we" when you say the things "we" pretty much dug into???? smaller government? lower taxes for all working Americans regardless of social class?
In what alternative universe was Richard Nixon more likable than Hubert Humphrey? You might not have liked his politics, but he was nicknamed "The Happy Warrior" for a reason. Likeability was never one of Dick Nixon's strong suits.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:14 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,821,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
The demographics of the cities and states with the most electoral votes just doesn't add up for it to happen. Not any time soon anyways. Lol
Are you some sort of clairvoyant, making predictions, or just attempting some self amusment?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
In what alternative universe was Richard Nixon more likable than Hubert Humphrey? You might not have liked his politics, but he was nicknamed "The Happy Warrior" for a reason. Likeability was never one of Dick Nixon's strong suits.
Which pays into the topical fear he played into. Let's remember most people dint care about the national debt. In 1984 and 1988 there were democrats running against Reagan and Bush claiming that the debt was a problem back then. You can say is now but it wouldn't have the bite that Nixon's law and order campaign did in 1968. Not that I defend Nixon but there was a lot of hippie, drug use, race riots and anti-war violence backlash that helped the Republicans win. That and RFK, the lone light for the Democrats was shot. Had RFK not gotten, 1968 could have looked a LOT different.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:46 PM

45,837 posts, read 61,256,164 times
I remember the death of the Republican Party in 1964. And 1976. And 1992. And 2008.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,041,021 times
This death is to a high degree due to demographic changes the GOP has failed to adapt to in national races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections