Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,270,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I misread/misunderstood that. Yes, you are correct. They had the votes to stop it. But I find it stunning that you're expressing dismay that they did not do that (at least for the debt ceiling debate). The damage that could be done over a "stalemate" would have been far greater than increasing the debt ceiling. That would have been reckless and irresponsible to our economic health. When one side loses the initial battle because they didn't have control of the government, its not wise, in my view, to rehash that battle when they gained only have limited control of the government. Shutting down the government isn't governing and would only work to ensure that the GOP doesn't win the White House and could threaten their hold on Congress, which would make those battles ultimately for naught.
Who is to say that the Democrats wouldn't have caved on the issue, and prevented a government shutdown?

Don't you think that they are capable of acting for the good of the country?

Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Who is to say that the Democrats wouldn't have caved on the issue, and prevented a government shutdown?

Don't you think that they are capable of acting for the good of the country?
At least you admit that the GOP's hostage taking every time they don't get their way isn't for the good of the country. That's progress, I guess.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
At least you admit that the GOP's hostage taking every time they don't get their way isn't for the good of the country. That's progress, I guess.

Republicans actually DIDN'T take the country hostage at all, HJ. Remember they caved.

If the GOP was willing to cave, why wouldn't the Democrats also cave if pushed?

Old 04-19-2015, 09:07 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Republicans actually DIDN'T take the country hostage at all, HJ. Remember they caved.

If the GOP was willing to cave, why wouldn't the Democrats also cave if pushed?
Not for lack of trying with regards to the debt ceiling battles. They absolutely did attempt to take the country hostage. And their actions caused the rating agencies to downgrade the U.S. credit rating for the first time in U.S. history.

The GOP doesn't have a great track record when it comes to willingly causing destruction to the country in adolescent temper tantrums when they don't get their way. The government shutdown in October of 2013 in an effort to derail the ACA is a case in point.

If the country is going to depend on the GOP acting rationally when they don't have the votes to move their agenda forward we are in big trouble. It's one very big reason it's important to have a Democrat in the Oval Office.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 04-19-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,286,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
To believe this, my best friend would have to be a CRACK PIPE.

This sounds like the usual, hopeful, desperation, blowhard rhetoric from the Right that has no basis in reality. Because of Republican behavior during the Bush years, and the 8 years thereafter, Republicans are going to be annihilated in 2016. Dems keep the WH, take back the Senate, and the Right continues its free-fall.
Actually nobody on the right really believes that. If the forum is representative of conservative extremists, they are terrified of Hillary, or we wouldn't be seeing all of the "Hillary is bad" threads with unrepressed anger pouring out. All that bile and venom simply indicates the insecurity of those making such comments. They know the candidates will be Clinton/Bush because out of that pack of crazies up in NH, Bush is the only one who could carry a general election.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:13 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,968,080 times
Quote:
Not for lack of trying with regards to the debt ceiling battles. They absolutely did attempt to take the country hostage. And their actions caused the rating agencies to downgrade the U.S. credit rating for the first time in U.S. history.

The GOP doesn't have a great track record when it comes to willingly causing destruction to the country in adolescent temper tantrums when they don't get their way. The government shutdown in October of 2013 in an effort to derail the ACA is a case in point.

If the country is going to depend on the GOP acting rationally when the don't have the votes to move their agenda forward we are in big trouble. It's one very big reason it's important to have a Democrat in the Oval Office.
Pure comedy gold. Do you actually believe this? If so, lol!

Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,453,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The bottom line: if the GOP didn't think they had a path to victory, we wouldn't see such a strong field.
This is a strong field from the GOP? Yikes.

Quote:

If the country is going to depend on the GOP acting rationally when the don't have the votes to move their agenda forward we are in big trouble. It's one very big reason it's important to have a Democrat in the Oval Office.
There was a time when the Republican Party at least tried to look as though they cared about anyone other than the rich*, but that was a long time ago. There was a time when nationally-elected Republicans at least tried to look as though they were engaged in governing, rather than performing the legislative equivalent of sitting in a corner and holding their breath until their faces turned blue, but that too was a long time ago.

*rich - just in case you're wondering ... if you're reading this forum, you ain't rich.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hillary Clinton = low Democrat voter turnout = Republican victory regardless of who is nominated. I am so excited for GOP White House and Congress because America can finally heal, clean up Obama's mess, and move forward.
Better find an electable candidate before considering counting those chickens, so far Hillary beats every declared candidate.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Better find an electable candidate before considering counting those chickens, so far Hillary beats every declared candidate.
Its a little early to write off anyone.

Remember that in the spring of 1980, Reagan polled 30 points behind President Carter.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,959,589 times
Quote:
Its a little early to write off anyone.

Remember that in the spring of 1980, Reagan polled 30 points behind President Carter.
If you say so. The Cons have to run someone acceptable to the hard core and also to moderates alike, at the moment I do not see one among them that has that quality. I will wait for the real possible candidates to declare, my guess is that it will come down to between Christie, Jeb or Walker for the nomination, the rest will only provide amusing moments for the voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections