Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:57 PM

232 posts, read 237,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have voted third party for the last 3 Presidential elections.
Past 2 for me...plan on it again unless dem candidate is Warren or Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
As much as I'd like to see the two party system broken up a bit and allowing other parties a chance to get something, voting 3rd party is as of now the equivalent of doing nothing.

Voting for the lesser of the two evils may seem like an ethical wrong, but if you want to keep the guy you REALLY don't want out of office, it might mean 'supporting' someone you wouldn't normally support.

Not to go full Godwin's law, but like the US hating Hilter more than we hated Stalin.

If you want to introduce 3rd parties into a truly open political system, the polls probably aren't the best place to do it yet.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM

847 posts, read 767,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
As much as I'd like to see the two party system broken up a bit and allowing other parties a chance to get something, voting 3rd party is as of now the equivalent of doing nothing.
I live in Texas. Republicans win here by a 20 point margin on gubernatorial and presidential ballots.
If I was Conservative or Liberal my vote would make very little difference and at any rate I would be dissatisfied with whom I voted for.

Why wouldn't it be slightly more useful for me to vote for the Green Party or the Libertarian party.

at least after 20 years or something we would all realize there is enough of us. and there is enough demand for other organized parties.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,430,710 times
My State has been a blue state since 1984.

By the way, 1984 presidential elections :

Ronald Reagan V Walter Mondale

Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM

546 posts, read 409,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
I live in Texas. Republicans win here by a 20 point margin on gubernatorial and presidential ballots.
If I was Conservative or Liberal my vote would make very little difference and at any rate I would be dissatisfied with whom I voted for.

Why wouldn't it be slightly more useful for me to vote for the Green Party or the Libertarian party.

at least after 20 years or something we would all realize there is enough of us. and there is enough demand for other organized parties.
The only way to get more Libertarians to run is for them to think they have a shot at winning. For them to think they have a shot at winning, they need to see a base of people who actually do vote for them. I don't think it has to be a huge percentage, but I think it needs to be growing, and enough polling polling results that indicate that many more major party voters would have liked to vote Libertarian but thought they'd be wasting their vote.

I'm specifying Libertarian, because that's the party I occasionally vote for, and the one I think has the staying power.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post

Its just plain silly logic... 1994 We unseated the sitting speaker of the house Tom Foley, only the second time in history. We got rid of some of the most miserable entrenched commie-lib democrats here in the state of Wa. Some districts it was the first time a Republican ever held the seat. It was all done because of a strong Conservative national leader Newt Gingrich, coinciding with an incredible local Conservative Grass Roots effort. Granted over the last 20 years the pendulum has swung back to the left. Point is... we have a 2 party system and no matter your ideology you can have an impact in one of those parties by getting involved. Or you can sit back and whine about it and vote for a third party candidate which will usually give you the result furthest from your own ideology. Voting 3rd party is an exercise in futility.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
The only way to get more Libertarians to run is for them to think they have a shot at winning. For them to think they have a shot at winning, they need to see a base of people who actually do vote for them. I don't think it has to be a huge percentage, but I think it needs to be growing, and enough polling polling results that indicate that many more major party voters would have liked to vote Libertarian but thought they'd be wasting their vote.

I'm specifying Libertarian, because that's the party I occasionally vote for, and the one I think has the staying power.
Libertarians have an identity crisis, and therefore will never, ever, ever win elections. They have been running someone for President for decades and what is the highest percentage of the vote they have gotten 3% ? I am a Conservative who is very sympathetic to Libertarian issues. If they want to actually (accomplish) something they need to do as Ron and Rand Paul have done, Infiltrate the Republican party and pull it towards their positions. Unfortunately that will never happen because the new breed of self proclaimed Libertarians have an absolute disdain for Conservative Christians who happen to agree with them on perhaps 75% of all the other issues. So they would rather elect some one who agrees with them on maybe 25% of the issues...hence they are where they are and will always be .

Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Nonsense.

Viable third parties cannot exist in our electoral system. They only time they can succeed is by supplanting one of the two major parties (such as when the Republicans replaced the Whigs in the 1850s) - wherein they cease to be a third party and merely become one of the two ends of our political axis.

It's called Duverger's Law:
Duverger: The Electoral System

Politics is a messy, inelegant system. This love affair some have with third parties is nothing but a holier-than-thou preening of those who pretend to divorce themselves from a system of which we are all inevitably a part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
My State has been a blue state since 1984.
Minnesota has been a blue state at the Presidential level since 1976 - the last time it voted Republican was for Nixon in 1972. Of course, its results at the Congressional, gubernatorial, and statehouse level has been more mixed, though generally Democratic - DFL, if you prefer.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM

546 posts, read 409,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Libertarians have an identity crisis, and therefore will never, ever, ever win elections. They have been running someone for President for decades and what is the highest percentage of the vote they have gotten 3% ? I am a Conservative who is very sympathetic to Libertarian issues. If they want to actually (accomplish) something they need to do as Ron and Rand Paul have done, Infiltrate the Republican party and pull it towards their positions. Unfortunately that will never happen because the new breed of self proclaimed Libertarians have an absolute disdain for Conservative Christians who happen to agree with them on perhaps 75% of all the other issues. So they would rather elect some one who agrees with them on maybe 25% of the issues...hence they are where they are and will always be .
If the Libertarian vote total is growing, hopefully the GOP starts moving to get those votes back. If that means quieting the social conservative rhetoric, that would be fine and dandy by me.

I figure if I vote Libertarian, it sends a message to both parties.

But I generally don't if I think the election is going to be extremely close between the two parties. I live in a solid red state now, moving soon to another, so I stay registered R just to vote for more socially liberal, fiscal conservatives in primaries.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
If the Libertarian vote total is growing, hopefully the GOP starts moving to get those votes back. If that means quieting the social conservative rhetoric, that would be fine and dandy by me.

I figure if I vote Libertarian, it sends a message to both parties.

Not going to happen, Its like the homsexuals here talking about how the GOP needs to alienate their base to pick maybe a minuscule percentage of the possible 3% of homosexuals that might vote Republican . Its just silly illogical nonsense. To put it bluntly ... the GOP can and does win elections if the homosexuals stay home. They can and do win elections with out the libertarian vote. They CANNOT WIN if Social Conservatives stay home. Libertarians need to learn to coexist with those that will help them further much of their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections