Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 AM

14,153 posts, read 15,210,190 times

Advertisements

Looking at the Electorla map the Swing states will be
NM, NV, CO, OH, NH, VA, FL, IA
Republicans must win OH, VA, FL and one or two others
I think Rand Paul's libertarian tendencies would play well in the Western swing states and NH. That's 22 electoral votes (NH, NV, NM, CO) and the downside of less motivated social conservatives would mostly affect already deep red states and not be a threat to electoral votes.
Overall of course the most important part is winning the popular vote because then the other pieces tend to fall into place, but I think Rand Paul would get to 270 more effeciently (smaller pop vote margin) than the other Candidates.
http://www.270towin.com/
a map with NM, CO, OH FL and OH would lead to a Republican Victory without VA, NH, and NV, the Western Swing State are key.

Last edited by btownboss4; 04-23-2015 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Don't tell the establishment that, or they will elect Hillary, with another progressive republican pushed to the front, so everyone stays home again.

FOX News is pushing and projecting Bush again, with Rubio taking on a halo.
You would think Rand & Ted were Hillary Clinton, talking to FOX.
When the fact is, Bush is more like Hillary, than either Rand or Ted would ever be.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM

546 posts, read 411,768 times
I think he has real potential connecting with voters who would not ordinarily vote Republican, but it will be a balancing act to avoid upsetting the base too much.

People are sick of spending billions on war, but he has to convince people we'll still be safe with a less interventionist foreign policy.

People often express the opinion that we should end foreign aid until we can take care of our own problems, but it will be hard to convince some people that reductions in foreign aid will inure to the benefit of the American people.

Ending the federal War On Drugs scares some people, he has to convince them they have the power within their own state to set their own agenda.

On issues like abortion and gay marriage, again, he has to convince people that leaving it up to the states is better than the Federal government making one-size-fits-all laws on such matters. He has to make it clear that his personal views on such issues won't affect Federal legislation.

But, he has to get past the GOP primary first. He stands alone in the party on a lot of issues.... perhaps the splitting of the hawks in the party helps him, but time will tell.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM

68,409 posts, read 54,706,291 times
Personally, I'd like to see a Paul vs. Webb election, I could more easily accept either one than the rest of the crowd.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 PM

31,027 posts, read 19,612,207 times
Rand (or the eventual nominee) will need to separate himself in the debates and speeches as the stronger campaigner. Right now, Rubio looking very strong in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Looking at the Electorla map the Swing states will be
NM, NV, CO, OH, NH, VA, FL, IA
Republicans must win OH, VA, FL and one or two others
I think Rand Paul's libertarian tendencies would play well in the Western swing states and NH. That's 22 electoral votes (NH, NV, NM, CO) and the downside of less motivated social conservatives would mostly affect already deep red states and not be a threat to electoral votes.
Overall of course the most important part is winning the popular vote because then the other pieces tend to fall into place, but I think Rand Paul would get to 270 more effeciently (smaller pop vote margin) than the other Candidates.
2016 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College
a map with NM, CO, OH FL and OH would lead to a Republican Victory without VA, NH, and NV, the Western Swing State are key.
I have said for a few years now, he would be the answer to our problems, but can he get the nomination? Unless we learns diplomacy and a few other things he will do no better than his dad though I like him much better. Right now, all the younger people in our family are watching him and would like to support him.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Rand (or the eventual nominee) will need to separate himself in the debates and speeches as the stronger campaigner. Right now, Rubio looking very strong in my opinion.
My first choice right now is Rubio. I would be pulling for Rand Paul but I don't think his personality is going to get him very far.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM

31,027 posts, read 19,612,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My first choice right now is Rubio. I would be pulling for Rand Paul but I don't think his personality is going to get him very far.
I'm exactly the same, I probably agree with more of Rand's policy positions but he's not the warmest candidate from what I've see. Rubio seems to have the personality and I would agree with his positions more times than not....Rubio is going to be a tough candidate to beat when all is said and done. I wish Rubio had been on the Republican ticket last time.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:10 PM

7,093 posts, read 9,018,261 times
Rand Paul would do what is best for America and the American people, and not what the GOP establishment wants. I would love to see a Paul/Cruz ticket.

There will be attempts to derail a Rand Paul candidacy because he scares the "old guard" and they will discredit Ted Cruz for being a Tea Party Godly Christian.

Rubio and Bush don't impress me as much but neither did other losers like Romney, McCain or Dole.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm exactly the same, I probably agree with more of Rand's policy positions but he's not the warmest candidate from what I've see. Rubio seems to have the personality and I would agree with his positions more times than not....Rubio is going to be a tough candidate to beat when all is said and done. I wish Rubio had been on the Republican ticket last time.
and his story has to warm normal peoples heart. Family excapes communism and Cuba. Dad is a bar tender, mom a maid. What a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections