Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 10:25 AM

2,002 posts, read 1,174,247 times

Advertisements

This is just a rant, I know things will never change. I absolutely hate the citizens united decision. I hate that money has taken over politics. I hate that candidates can't state honest opinions, they have to align themselves with billionaires that will fund the super PAC. This money being poured into campaigns could solve so many other problems. Education is being cut nonstop. The middle class factory jobs are going away so you can hardly just finish high school and earn a decent living. Okay rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 PM

68,397 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Someone will continue that rant (with good reason) until there's a major shake-up in our entrenched two party system where candidates from both sides happily sell themselves to the highest bidders.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:51 AM

39,179 posts, read 51,527,491 times
I wonder if we someday reach the point that we have with stadiums and sports venues and NASCAR drivers: where a candidate is sponsored by and wears the logos of a special interest. In some ways that would be an improvement as we would know who is pulling their strings.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 AM

68,397 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wonder if we someday reach the point that we have with stadiums and sports venues and NASCAR drivers: where a candidate is sponsored by and wears the logos of a special interest. In some ways that would be an improvement as we would know who is pulling their strings.
Let's see if they really believe in what they claim to support, let 'em get tattooed with their sponsors names.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 AM

546 posts, read 411,593 times
For every complaint I see about money in politics, I'd like to see one about voter apathy and ignorance.

How often do we see polls with very low levels of name recognition for many people on the national stage? How often do you think "how can people not know who X is, are they living under a rock?"

Money buys ads, money gets names and positions out there in the public sphere for people who are too lazy to do a little independent research to find out who is running and where they stand.

It's sad that so many decisions are made on commercials and nothing more. IMO, if you're going to vote, you should at least visit the websites of all candidates in the race, to make sure advertising isn't misrepresenting them.

If people made more effort to inform themselves, just with a little Googling, the need for massive money in advertising wouldn't be as necessary.

It's a more complicated issue than just billionaires buying candidates.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:16 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,547,950 times
I fully expect campaign reform to be the hottest issue between 2016 and 2020.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,448,014 times
Quote:

I already think that the congress members name placard at committee hearings should feature this.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,002,201 times
Quote:
I think it should be a requirement for them to wear them and the size of each logo should be in line with the amount they were endorsed for so we know who they Really work for.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:25 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,421,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's see if they really believe in what they claim to support, let 'em get tattooed with their sponsors names.
Or at least wear patches on their clothing like NASCAR drivers.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:01 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,547,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Or at least wear patches on their clothing like NASCAR drivers.
Even lapel pins with sponsor's logos would be a big help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections