Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Party Wins in 2016?
Democrat 32 58.18%
Republican 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:12 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,392,416 times

Advertisements

No idea. 18 months is a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
Democrats tend do better in presidential election years (2008, 2012).

Republicans do better in mid-term elections (2010, 2014).

Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
these types of polls really are more a waste of time than anything. We have no idea who the candidates will be, we are voting now pretty much based on our own political party ties, etc. I did vote, but I don't think my vote means one darn thing. Now, ask something like this in April or 2016. Then the poll might have meaning.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,609,674 times
I will say this: Candidates with name recognition tend to do better at this early point in the game. Hillary has name recognition, so that is why she is leading at the moment. Frontrunners always seem to have a hard time once the actual campaigning begins (right now everything is just fundraising). Remember when Rudy Guiliani was the frontrunner in 2008? That didn't turn out well.

I actually foresee Hillary fighting hard for the heart of the Democratic Party from Bernie Sanders. When the preferred candidate loses the primaries (which will probably happen to Bernie), voters get angry and aren't as apt to vote for "the other" candidate. We saw this happen in 2012. Conservatives wanted someone like Herman Cain to get the nomination, but Romney got it instead. The base wasn't so hot on Romney, so his support never reached the levels that it needed to.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 AM

31,083 posts, read 22,117,738 times
I would vote for Bill again, compared to Hillary, and would vote for the Pub unless he is in the religious right. It's basically the Republicans turn, so i'll go with them. Either way, a true Centrist that can balance a check book would go a long way in stabilizing the country.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
these types of polls really are more a waste of time than anything. We have no idea who the candidates will be, we are voting now pretty much based on our own political party ties, etc. I did vote, but I don't think my vote means one darn thing. Now, ask something like this in April or 2016. Then the poll might have meaning.
The same could have been said in 2007/early 2008, but I think anyone who had an objective knowledge of politics could have told you that the Democrats were taking the White House unless they had a massive, massive screw up or the GOP pulled off an absolute miracle.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,594 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If the best they have is Hillary, then I can't imagine the Dems winning. Actually they don't seem too interested in campaigning at this time. Maybe things will look different this time next year.
You may not think they will win, but 3 years of polling on this race should have given your imagination the chance to picture it.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:25 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,840 times
Hoping for democrat if it's Bernie Sanders, otherwise I'll probably vote 3rd party.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If the best they have is Hillary, then I can't imagine the Dems winning. Actually they don't seem too interested in campaigning at this time. Maybe things will look different this time next year.
I can very easily see a GOP upset in 2016. Not a fan of Hillary, would prefer Sanders - but barring a criminal indictment for emails, Hillary will be the candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I actually foresee Hillary fighting hard for the heart of the Democratic Party from Bernie Sanders. When the preferred candidate loses the primaries (which will probably happen to Bernie), voters get angry and aren't as apt to vote for "the other" candidate.

We saw this happen in 2012. Conservatives wanted someone like Herman Cain to get the nomination, but Romney got it instead. The base wasn't so hot on Romney, so his support never reached the levels that it needed to.
Hopefully the Dems will not be that stupid.

I will NOT stay home because a GOP administration is another nail in the coffin of the United States. GOP is destroying this country tax cut by tax cut, war by war, financial crisis by financial crisis.

Bank on it - all three will happen again - war and financial crisis - and, of course, the never-ending "tax cuts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Hoping for democrat if it's Bernie Sanders, otherwise I'll probably vote 3rd party.
Please don't do that. You are just helping the GOP. Remember Gore/Bush?? We'd never have had Iraq without those criminals Bush/Cheney (Criminal in Chief) in office. Ralph Nader was the third party candidate and he was the reason Gore lost and this nation has been all but destroyed since. We have not yet recovered from Bush - and probably never will. I, too, prefer Sanders - but since he has almost no chance of the nomination, I'll vote AGAINST the GOP - and FOR whatever candidate the Dems put forth.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:25 PM

934 posts, read 596,087 times
Unless the GOP has something up their sleeve, its going to be the democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections