Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I always talk about the Republican Machine but I'm getting the feeling the Democrat Machine is worried about a "coronation effect" that will keep disinterested/bored Democrat voters from the polls so they are conjuring up candidates who don't have a snowballs chance in h*ll of winning to fake a run against her just to drum up some interest in their side and that there actually is a Democrat race.

Chaffee comes out swinging by talking about the hot metric system issue??? I know I've seen that issue at the top of every Democrat voters' list of issues that are important to them. They must have caught him coming out of the restroom and said, "Hey, can you do us a favor? Would you go stand in front of that microphone over there and announce you are a candidate for president?" So Chaffee, who made part of his announcement that he's living in Canada (showing how well these candidates do when they probably don't have advisors yet), jumps on the chance to use his announcement time to show he's tough on measurement systems. Can't wait to see his political commercials.

Seriously, what's going on? Is this just a sham to trick Dem voters into believing there actually is a race so they show up at the polls to vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
No, I doubt it. The last think the DNC wants if for Republicans to throw Iraq in Hillary's face, and I'm sure they don't want those criticisms coming from WITHIN the party.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Why are you shocked that the party (either side) would recruit or encourage people to run in the primaries? You can't hold debates with just one candidate and without the primary debates that party would get less air time in front of the public. The debates are an important part of the process. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think this is any secret, sham or trick.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why are you shocked that the party (either side) would recruit or encourage people to run in the primaries? You can't hold debates with just one candidate and without the primary debates that party would get less air time in front of the public. The debates are an important part of the process. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think this is any secret, sham or trick.
I think Hillary Clinton would be better off without a real debate, with the key word being "real" since she is already is well-known but in the general election, the Democrats would be worried about turnout if everyone thinks she's a foregone conclusion so they need a race just to generate interest...but not anyone that's a serious contender against her. On the Republican side, those guys actually believe they can beat Bush.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Chaffee is running for his ego the same as the majority of the Republicans are. Neither he nor they think they have any chance of "beating Bush/Clinton". Sanders has said he is in it because he wants to bring his issues and points of view into the discussion. O'Malley wants it. Clinton stole his chance this time.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think Hillary Clinton would be better off without a real debate, with the key word being "real" since she is already is well-known but in the general election, the Democrats would be worried about turnout if everyone thinks she's a foregone conclusion so they need a race just to generate interest...but not anyone that's a serious contender against her. On the Republican side, those guys actually believe they can beat Bush.
I can't disagree with you here which surprises me as much as it probably surprises you. LOL

Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Chaffee is running for his ego the same as the majority of the Republicans are. Neither he nor they think they have any chance of "beating Bush/Clinton". Sanders has said he is in it because he wants to bring his issues and points of view into the discussion. O'Malley wants it. Clinton stole his chance this time.
In order to think you should be President you probably already have a healthy ego but I think since Bush can't break away from the pack, they're all sensing they actually have a shot and if they win early the money will come. He's not even really trying in Iowa so in the first 3 primaries there could be 3 different winners...and a possibility he won't be one of them. The Machine is basing his inevitability on fundraising and their ability to convince people he's actually outperforming the other candidates, which he isn't.

That first debate is really important.

O'Malley is still at 1% (even Webb is ahead of him). Sanders, while only at 5%, has actually moved the needle.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
This is actually a great opportunity to raise your profile if you're a Democratic politician. I'm surprised not more Dems jumped in the race to milk this opportunity.

Think about it, there is no pressure from your constituents for you to win, you get to speak about all the issues dear to your heart in front of a national platform, and your name is on national news every week. You sure won't get those three things handed to you if you just stay at your post as a House member.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
I live in MD. O'Malley was always going to run. He got term limited out of office in January, just in time to start running. He's only 52. In 4-8 years he'll still be young enough to have another run, if circumstances are favorable, and with experience under his belt. It would be crazy for him to pass up this opportunity. If he did, in 4-8 years people would be asking why he didn't do it 2016. He almost has no choice but to run, in order to keep his options open for the future.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In order to think you should be President you probably already have a healthy ego but I think since Bush can't break away from the pack, they're all sensing they actually have a shot and if they win early the money will come. He's not even really trying in Iowa so in the first 3 primaries there could be 3 different winners...and a possibility he won't be one of them. The Machine is basing his inevitability on fundraising and their ability to convince people he's actually outperforming the other candidates, which he isn't.

That first debate is really important.

O'Malley is still at 1% (even Webb is ahead of him). Sanders, while only at 5%, has actually moved the needle.
Polls =/= determination.

And that is what you seem to be arguing in the case of O'Malley. he started putting together his run in 2011

2016 Overachiever Martin O

How Martin O’Malley built a 2016 résumé liberals will love - The Washington Post

Hillary who? Gov. O’Malley doing ‘tough work’ for 2016 bid | OnPolitics

Martin O

O

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...rse-2016/?_r=0

In sign of lofty ambition, O'Malley launches federal PAC - tribunedigital-baltimoresun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections