Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times

Advertisements

Used to be that the rationale for the Iowa Caucuses was that Iowans took their politics more seriously than most, and would turn out to rallies, meet & greets etc. to press the flesh with, and ask questions of candidates personally in a way that just isn't practical in larger more populous states. They enjoyed their "extra" responsibility, and took it very seriously. They, and NH, acted as a filter to screen out those who couldn't organize a beer bash in a brewery, amongst others.

Political reporting used to be full of talk about a candidate's Iowa Ground Game.

Remember Obama/Clinton 2008? The Ground Game was still king, precinct captains were celebrities, and that's what propelled Obama.

Doesn't look like that is happening this year, in part because the GOP candidates appear not to be visiting as frequently, and are employing alternative strategies.

And Iowa is not complaining, at least not loudly enough for me to hear.

I just checked the Iowa forum on C-D. There is zero discussion of the candidates, issues, or politics there. If C-D Iowa is representative of Iowa as a whole, the outlook is bleak.

Currently, there's not much difference in the leader board for these two polls, which highlights how close Iowa is to the national mood.

RCP Republican Iowa.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Iowa Republican Presidential Caucus

RCP Republican National.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

Unless there is some change soon, I believe we are watching not so much the death of the Iowa Caucuses, but the death of the significance of the Iowa Caucuses being first in the nation..

No one would suggest that Iowa is representative of the country at large, not racially diverse, but Iowa claims its value in the process is that it does a better job of kicking the tires than anyone else. If Iowa is unable/unwilling to hold up it's end of the bargain, then pressure for alternatives will only increase.

The Des Moines Register Candidate Tracker shows that the eight most frequent Republican visitors to Iowa have each visited between 40 and 90 times since announcement. Other candidates have 104 events currently scheduled in Iowa during August. Trump on the other hand has visited only twice, in July, and has nothing currently scheduled, yet leads in the polls.

Conclusion: Iowa is not doing anything the rest of the US is not and cannot do, at least so far this cycle, and Trump is proving it. Iowa may yet come to regret its embrace of Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:33 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
I'm making bets on Predictit that Trump and Sanders will win the Iowa Caucuses.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,740 times
Maybe they should just have all the primaries on the same day. It does seems silly that one or two states can dramatically influence who becomes president. I wonder if Rick Santorum is even relevant if he doesn't win the Iowa caucus.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Iowa is predictable in the age of divisive politics. It is not representative of the national demographic anymore if it ever was. There is no point in moderates like Jeb! even bothering with it.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
I wouldn't like that because it will virtually guarantee the campaign with the most money will win. Clinton would have won in 2008 if we did that. People didn't pay attention to Obama until he won the Iowa Caucus.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:44 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I'm tired of Iowa and New Hampshire winnowing the candidates. However, I totally enjoy the candidates at the Iowa State Fair.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
The first five primaries should each be held one week apart. Each year a state moves up a spot until it reaches first, and a new fifth place state is selected from those not yet chosen until all are lived up. The top ten population states are excluded since they get so much attention in the campaign, and since it could turn the first primary into the only one that matters which is the problem we mostly have now. No reason Iowa and New Hampshire should get to control the presidential election every cycle.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
I think that the primaries should be broken up into 5 "Super Tuesdays" in which 10 states vote at once over 5 Tuesdays. The order should also be rotated very cycle so that no state or group of states can have such outsized influence.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
People are disillusioned with the political system as people know that far too many take legalized bribes from the corporate elite. The GOP debate even touched on it by accident because Trump brought it up and the puppets begged him for money!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm making bets on Predictit that Trump and Sanders will win the Iowa Caucuses.
Possible since both men are "stuff disturbers" but for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections