Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,888,227 times

Advertisements

Saw Clinton on TV today squawking to an all black crowd that she wants to double federal funding of "traditionally" black schools. WTF? The idea that these segregated schools still exist come across as racist to me. (I realize they allow a few token whites.) Shes buying votes. Tell the crowd I'll give this, that, and the other thing so they vote for you. If you feel compelled to support the United Negro Fund,then so be it. But don't promise tax dollars to support quasi-racist organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
Hmmm; the reason those schools began was quite simple, blacks were not allowed into the lily white state schools. IIRC a few years back there was a lawsuit (may have been state specific) in Mississippi (?), it seems that as state schools these schools had been getting shortchanged when the state was divvying up the state funds. Probably similar to what the Federal governnment has been doing to the American Indian tribes with the oil revenues for tribal lands.

Anyway, AFAIK anyone is welcome to go to these schools. I used to have several of them as (commercial) clients and while there were some white students they were outnumbered. Probably felt a bit like black students did (and often still do) when attending previously segregated (white) schools.

To call the schools racist is out of line IMO.

The money she's talking about would be about 3 day's worth of what we're currently p***ing away in Iraq.

golfgod

Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
The money she's talking about would be about 3 day's worth of what we're currently p***ing away in Iraq.

golfgod

So if we leave Iraq and not let Hillary have her way, we can save $825million over the course of 2 days.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:

golfgod
Considering blacks have been able to go to any school they want for at least thirty years, they don;t need their own. Suppose I wanted an all-white school, what would I be called? A racist. But I digress, the reasoning behind this thread isn't so much about the race issue. Its the fact that Clinton is obviously pandering, and promising more of our money around for the purpose of getting votes. Don't all colleges deserve more federal funding? I don't think any of them do, but if your going to promise to one type of school, why not to all colleges? Aren't white college students just as deserving of federal aid as black students? Believe or not we don't all live in gated communities with servants, many times we are just as poor or maybe more poor in some cases. But I digress again.

This is true it would be less than we are "pissing away" in Iraq. But that is no justification. The fed sending me check for 1 million dollars would also be less, but not justified. Can't we simply end the war, and cut all of this federal spending?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:

golfgod
I'd also like to know what is out of line in questioning federal spending on the basis skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections