Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:33 PM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am just curious perhaps because it was before my time. There does not seem to be anywhere near as much hostility toward Italian, Irish, German etc. “multiculturalism” as there is toward Hispanics. There are Italian, Polish and Irish neighborhoods all over the country. People routinely identify themselves as “Italian”. If a Mexican immigrant did that it’ll be hell to pay. Why is that?
Depends on where their loyalties lay. I think most Americans of Italian descent still consider themselves Americans first. They do not spit on our immigration laws either and demand that their illegal amigos get amnesty. Not true of many of Mexican descent. Many refuse to adopt English as their primary language of usage and expect to be catered to in Spanish. There lays the answer to any hostilities directed at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:41 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,726 times
You know, I think Jeb's about as 'enthusiastic' over running for President as his brother was.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,248 times
Yeah right, !Jeb. Put your money where your mouth is and support English as the official national language then.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Depends on where their loyalties lay. I think most Americans of Italian descent still consider themselves Americans first. They do not spit on our immigration laws either and demand that their illegal amigos get amnesty. Not true of many of Mexican descent. Many refuse to adopt English as their primary language of usage and expect to be catered to in Spanish. There lays the answer to any hostilities directed at them.
I will tell you a fact- many of the poor Mexican/ or Central and South Americans that come -never been to school to learn their own language - Unfortunate -but only wealthy kids get to go to school past a certain grade.
2- language is NOT a given after a certain age -I knew this lady -was a Physicist in her country- came at 30? NEVER was able to speak it, just not able to- are you able to learn Spanish? Chinese?

the older generation still peaking their language in Italian etc, I saw that in NY -NJ -the KIDS went to school and learned it-- so stop-

Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I will tell you a fact- many of the poor Mexican/ or Central and South Americans that come -never been to school to learn their own language - Unfortunate -but only wealthy kids get to go to school past a certain grade.
2- language is NOT a given after a certain age -I knew this lady -was a Physicist in her country- came at 30? NEVER was able to speak it, just not able to- are you able to learn Spanish? Chinese?
Sorry; I don't believe that for a scientist. An old peasant about 60 years old, I MIGHT cut them some slack.

Too; if talking about Spanish or German, many of the words are real close to English words.

In other words: no understand English in the US, NO drivers license and no voting.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
@whocares811, thoughtful response. Here is my theory. The geographic proximity of US and Mexico explains a lot of the difficulties we see in assimilation. European immigrants were separated from their homeland by an entire ocean. Many of them never went back. I know 2nd and 3rd generation Italians that have never even traveled to Italy so bonds are much much weaker. European immigrants also never had a claim on this land. Many Mexicans consider the Americans to be the illegal ones. I cannot imagine Mexican Americans to join the US in a war with Mexico. Thousands of German and Italian-Americans did it in WW2. Once gain, the bonding with the homeland was weak. Which Hispanic American would fly bombers and lay waste on Mexico City if war breaks out?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
@whocares811, thoughtful response. Here is my theory. The geographic proximity of US and Mexico explains a lot of the difficulties we see in assimilation. European immigrants were separated from their homeland by an entire ocean. Many of them never went back. I know 2nd and 3rd generation Italians that have never even traveled to Italy so bonds are much much weaker. European immigrants also never had a claim on this land. Many Mexicans consider the Americans to be the illegal ones. I cannot imagine Mexican Americans to join the US in a war with Mexico. Thousands of German and Italian-Americans did it in WW2. Once gain, the bonding with the homeland was weak. Which Hispanic American would fly bombers and lay waste on Mexico City if war breaks out?
Many Hispanics are US citizens 1st tho I do catch what you mean. The crazy part is Hispanic culture is nothing like German, Jewish or Scandinavian cultures which all have the rep of getting things done. So I don't understand the "fatal attraction" to it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-24-2015 at 04:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
You're as usual talking myths and usual hysteria.

Latinos are assimilating just as quickly as other group, historically. And just because many of them speak Spanish doesn't mean they don't speak English.

Hispanic immigrants are assimilating just as quickly as earlier groups - The Washington Post

Contrary to the stubborn monolingual American mindset, it is actually possible that people are bilingual or multilingual. I am an assimilated Chinese American and bilingual.

Considering the many and distinguished record of many Mexican Americans who have served in the US armed forces, your comments casting doubt on the loyalty of Mexican Americans to their country is disgraceful and un-American. This is the same type of racist claptrap and hysteria that lead to the interment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Sorry; I don't believe that for a scientist. An old peasant about 60 years old, I MIGHT cut them some slack.

Too; if talking about Spanish or German, many of the words are real close to English words.

In other words: no understand English in the US, NO drivers license and no voting.

You don't have to believe it -but it is true- the lady is 94 and she understood- but could not speak it-
again can you learn Chinese? COMO estas ? how far would you get?

I took LATIN in school -I know what that means- I can even touch on a little French and much Creole is spoken in S-FL but kids in our owns school can't even read and write.
This FORCING people sounds so gestapo--

Old 09-24-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Many Hispanics are US citizens 1st tho I do catch what you mean. The crazy part is Hispanic culture is nothing like German, Jewish or Scandinavian cultures which all have the rep of getting things done. So I don't understand the "fatal attraction" to it.

The bond of the Hispanics-- FAMILY! family to travel in peril - family to not forget the ones left back home. family to fight to be united-
legal or illegal it is their BOND

Many people have forgotten all that here! I live in FL where I see old folks crash into blds. driving at 90 yrs old- because there is NO family anywhere to get them to the store, then they show up all peeved off when the old man dies inside the car, because he was to weak to get out of it. I have seen lonely- lonely old people with family that does NOT come except to bury them and collect the inheritance, Hispanics families-the abuela shows up- the parents shove that teen from their room to sleep on the couch and G-ma now has the room- the bond you cannot break- and one thing you cannot say about Hispanics-- that they do not work--

Last edited by tinytrump; 09-24-2015 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections