Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You would you vote for if you only had these 3 options:
Democrat: Hillary Clinton 25 29.76%
Republican: Jeb Bush 13 15.48%
Independent: Donald Trump 41 48.81%
I would not vote at all. 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:47 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Talk about an easy Democrat win, Trump would force a split in the GOP vote.

Urban - why can't you get it through your head that a 3rd party vote does not affect the other candidates.

Your theory depends on:
  1. That a clear majority of voters for the minor candidate would align with one of the other candidates.
  2. That those who voted for the minor candidate would still go to the polls if their first choice was not on the ballot.

According to Richard Winger, editor of Ballot Access News, “the idea that the minor party closest to the major party in ideas always hurts that major party is not true.”
Winger cited experimental evidence presented in the book, Predictably Irrational, showing that when people must choose among three alternatives, the preferred of two similar options will be more frequently chosen, relative to the third alternative which is less similar.

If I have 2 choices and like neither - I don't cast a vote even for the lesser of 2 evils - plain and simple. So even if a third party candidate was involved and I did go vote for him - knowing that he probably won't win - it's not taking away from either other candidate.

In a recent poll 42% of Americans called themselves Independent. Many like me - still registered to one party or the other but voting for the candidate that best suits their needs. Voting party lines may still be done in the legislature but it's not like it was 50 yrs ago. My parents voted party line - thy don't even bother to vote anymore and haven't for years. The older people who use to vote party lines mostly only come out to vote against a school budget and even that doesn't attract many of them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Who would you vote for if the candidates were:

Republican: Jeb Bush
Democrat: Hillary Clinton
Independent: Donal Trump
Don't make us think this could really happen. Let's hope a real winner pulls it off. If I had to choose among those listed, I would vote for Bush in a heartbeat.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'd flip a coin and pull a lever with my eyes closed. Really no difference in the three.
Oh, come on, you can't really think there is no difference between Trump and Clinton or Trump and Bush. In no way are they alike. I could see you saying that about Clinton and Bush, though I do not agree.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:23 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Don't make us think this could really happen. Let's hope a real winner pulls it off. If I had to choose among those listed, I would vote for Bush in a heartbeat.
Oh, this could really happen and if the GOP wants to throw the race, yet again, I'll betting that Trump will run 3rd party. Why wouldn't he? The people support him and I truly believe that he loves our country. Not many people understand anymore what it is like to love your country. To be considered proud of anything anymore is considered not to be "PC" in our country. "Stumping for the Trump" 2016

Old 09-27-2015, 05:31 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
In terms of Constitutional balance, the optimal outcome is a president (one per family per century) from one party with less than 50% of the popular vote and a Congress controlled by the opposing party (some combination of 217+ representatives and 41+ senators), opposing meaning not in name only but making real, though also constructive, opposition.

And therein lies the potential beauty and usefulness of third-party candidates and splitting one's votes in various ways depending on practical circumstances at the moment (no room here for some adolescent ideologies).

Useless and possibly damaging is not voting at all: there are other important elections on the ballot, at the very least Congressional representative, sometimes senator, state representative, sometimes state senator, various county and municipal positions, including law enforcement, property assessors, and judgeships.

All the above is part of what we call government in the United States - Constitution purposefully designed for the diffusion of power at various levels, because all individuals, and especially because of their ideologies, make horrible mistakes, yet still capable of extraordinary unity to achieve practical things - not just the chief executive of the federal government.

Last edited by bale002; 09-27-2015 at 06:04 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Urban - why can't you get it through your head that a 3rd party vote does not affect the other candidates.

Your theory depends on:
  1. That a clear majority of voters for the minor candidate would align with one of the other candidates.
  2. That those who voted for the minor candidate would still go to the polls if their first choice was not on the ballot.

According to Richard Winger, editor of Ballot Access News, “the idea that the minor party closest to the major party in ideas always hurts that major party is not true.”
Winger cited experimental evidence presented in the book, Predictably Irrational, showing that when people must choose among three alternatives, the preferred of two similar options will be more frequently chosen, relative to the third alternative which is less similar.

If I have 2 choices and like neither - I don't cast a vote even for the lesser of 2 evils - plain and simple. So even if a third party candidate was involved and I did go vote for him - knowing that he probably won't win - it's not taking away from either other candidate.

In a recent poll 42% of Americans called themselves Independent. Many like me - still registered to one party or the other but voting for the candidate that best suits their needs. Voting party lines may still be done in the legislature but it's not like it was 50 yrs ago. My parents voted party line - thy don't even bother to vote anymore and haven't for years. The older people who use to vote party lines mostly only come out to vote against a school budget and even that doesn't attract many of them anymore.
Tell that to Bob Dole.

And your logic is flawed because you are assuming those who would vote for a third party candidate wouldn't have voted for one of the other two candidates. If a conservative third party candidate is running, they will most certainly take away votes from the Republican candidate.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times
Your reasoning is flawed because Trump is not a true conservative - JEB is - so if he is running - there's no reason true conservatives will vote for Trump. Trumps getting his votes from across the boards Dems, Rep, Independents.

I know many who will write in a name just to prove their displeasure with the choices the 2 parties are shoving down everyone's throat. My logic - is not flawed - it's fact. Even if a third party candidate didn't run - the split has been proven to be 50/50 - 50% of a third party candidates voters would vote Dem if they decide to vote / 50% will vote Republican.

We are not in the 195o's anymore. There's no reason to vote party lines as people can make their own decisions given all the information out there - they are not drinking the Kool-Aid either party is serving.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:58 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Why is Trump listed as an Independence?

Another attempt to make him look bad or to put something in peoples mind!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Here are the poll numbers that matter: Hillary Clinton's poll ratings: A turn for the worse | The Economist

From that right-wing, conservative, Tea Party favorite, The Economist.

Hillary, dropping like a rock.

Bye, Hill. Be a good grandma.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Here are the poll numbers that matter: Hillary Clinton's poll ratings: A turn for the worse | The Economist

From that right-wing, conservative, Tea Party favorite, The Economist.

Hillary, dropping like a rock.

Bye, Hill. Be a good grandma.
Yep, and hello Bernie Sanders. He has been moving in on her territory quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections