Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
Exactly. Americans want to live in fantasy land and think the problem can be easily fixed by building a wall or bringing some troops back home. Sorry to inform you but you all need a wake up call and a reality check.

Let's hope you, your children or grandchildren don't end up picking pockets and shoplifting like those poor Japanese seniors because their parents or grandparents decided to ignore the problem.

Or do you all think your children and grandchildren are never gonna grow old?
It is the libertarian leaning if not fully libertarian views that are pushing people. That on top of the I got mine... logic that prevails today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 04:51 PM

33,595 posts, read 18,225,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How is Kasich telling people to just "get over it" when their benefits are cut fixing anything? Kasich and his party, who never met a defense contract they wouldn't fund or an "investigation" they wouldn't squander millions of our taxpyer dollars on, but seem to think people should be live on less and less and be happy about it, are not merely the messengers, they are the problem.
Kasich expanded medicaid , the recipients never paid in .. Social Security we are mandated to pay and then tell us we have to live to a good age to collect..many will not collect anything, some a year or a few years.. medicaid goes on and on for generations and they don't pay a thing..

Old 10-11-2015, 05:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,327,824 times
Quote:
I think there should be no Congressional pensions. Why should we pay for their retirement when so many of them seem determined to cut ours? We should take away Kasich's pension, force him to rely on Social Security like so many Americans, and then when he whines--and the entitled class always whines when they don't get what they think they deserve--we can tell him to just "Get over it!"
After all, we are broke and that is Kasich's argument concerning S.S. Cuts are good for others, not so good for him.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:58 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,968,166 times
Quote:
How is Kasich telling people to just "get over it" when their benefits are cut fixing anything? Kasich and his party, who never met a defense contract they wouldn't fund or an "investigation" they wouldn't squander millions of our taxpyer dollars on, but seem to think people should be live on less and less and be happy about it, are not merely the messengers, they are the problem.
So true!!!! But both parties are guilty of blowing our tax dollars irresponsibly.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Like the businessman Trump is, he looks at Social Security like a deal or a contract that should not be broken.

"Social Security faces a problem: 77 million baby boomers set to retire. Now I know there are some Republicans who would be just fine with allowing these programs to wither and die on the vine. The way they see it, Social Security and Medicare are wasteful "entitlement programs." But people who think this way need to rethink their position. It's not unreasonable for people who paid into a system for decades to expect to get their money's worth--that's not an "entitlement," that's honoring a deal. We as a society must also make an ironclad commitment to providing a safety net for those who can't make one for themselves. Social Security is here to stay. To be sure, we must reform it, root out the fraud, make it more efficient, and ensure that the program is solvent.

Same goes for Medicare. Again, people have lived up to their end of the bargain and paid into the program in good faith. Of course they believe they're "entitled" to receive the benefits they paid for--they are!"

Donald Trump on Social Security
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Kasich expanded medicaid , the recipients never paid in .. Social Security we are mandated to pay and then tell us we have to live to a good age to collect..many will not collect anything, some a year or a few years.. medicaid goes on and on for generations and they don't pay a thing..
Holy crap. Twice in one thread I find myself agreeing with Taratova and now Trump.

Hell may have just frozen over.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,928,643 times
Quote:
How are the Democrats addressing the unfunded liabilities in SS and Medicare? What Democrat is saying we need to raise those taxes?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 PM

27,220 posts, read 15,393,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Benefits have been cut in the past thru raising the retirement age without much political expense.

That's one of the reasons at 59 I will hold out until 70 to claim benefits.
I can't get full benefits until I am almost 68 anyway already.

By 70 I would have been paying into it for 56 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections