Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,090,101 times

Advertisements

Obama said people are scapegoating/blaming the lack of jobs on illegals, and he said he did not believe it. Then Hillary refuted this idea, and said illegals are undermining and undercutting American jobs and wages which is very true.

Why Obama said this I can't imagine, he knew what he said was not true, did he think Americans wanted to hear a lie? After Hillary spoke, Obama said in the middle of another subject, "and not undercut American jobs". I think Hillary is far more experienced and has somewhat better judgement than Obama. Hillary is more articulate in explaining ideas and details it seems. I'm not a democrat, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
Perhaps he thinks by saying what he did he'll get more of the Hispanic vote. However, if he talked to working class Hispanic-Americans, he'd hear what a problem illegal immigration is and how it drives down wages. I used to live on the Border and saw it all firsthand.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Perhaps he thinks by saying what he did he'll get more of the Hispanic vote. However, if he talked to working class Hispanic-Americans, he'd hear what a problem illegal immigration is and how it drives down wages. I used to live on the Border and saw it all firsthand.
You hit the nail on the head...that can be the only reason he said it, but like you say illegals drive down wages for Americans...by competition between employers, and like Hillary also said industries like construction are only hiring illegals and Americans are cut off. I live in Southern CA, and it's entirely taken over except for a few wealthier areas like Beverly Hills and Palm Springs, it's just like I'm living in Mexico more or less.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,402,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Obama said people are scapegoating/blaming the lack of jobs on illegals, and he said he did not believe it. Then Hillary refuted this idea, and said illegals are undermining and undercutting American jobs and wages which is very true.

Why Obama said this I can't imagine, he knew what he said was not true, did he think Americans wanted to hear a lie? After Hillary spoke, Obama said in the middle of another subject, "and not undercut American jobs". I think Hillary is far more experienced and has somewhat better judgement than Obama. Hillary is more articulate in explaining ideas and details it seems. I'm not a democrat, just my opinion.
I disagree. It has been stated that blacks don't have jobs because illegals are taking them. Obama simply said this is scapegoating, an attempt to blame illegals for the lack of effort of many blacks to get jobs. Illegal immigration is far more complex of an issue than simply blaming illegals for lack of work. Billary simply stated the classic sound bite on the issue, and you fell for that. She counts on people to support her hollow candidacy by latching on to manufactured, pre-rehearsed poltical sound bites. She's pathetic. Better judgment? Hardly. In a desperate tactical move no doubt designed to address the increasing aware that Obama is the better candidate, she brought in her trash husband Bill to play the race card in an attempt to "put Obama in his place." They wanted to exploit the fact that many people don't want a BLACK MAN winning the presidency. Incredible poor taste here and it exposed the racist core that defines the Clintons. They are pure trash and will say anything to win. This was obvious and it backfired with Billary getting annihilated in South Carolina, a state she was expected to take easily. I would not call her decision to use this tactic, "better judgment." If anything it was the latest display that she is a horrible, ineffective decision maker.

Also, if Billary was more articulate in explaining ideas, then why is she scrambling to find a tactic to be more effective with Obama? This would've been clear early in the campaign and Obama would be sputtering out. Remember, she was considered almost a shoe-in a year ago. Now she's desperately flailing away, praying for help. Any help. No, Obama is far more articulate, far better at expressing his ideas instead of those written by others, far more dignified, and in command. Billary pales in comparison. This is why the Kennedys supported him, why John Kerry supported him, and others. Too bad you don't see that.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:02 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
Instead of spewing off-topic crap, Alexus, why not offer something intelligent that addresses the issue?

Smith: Illegal Immigrants Take Jobs from African-Americans - Immigration Reform Caucus (http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ca50_bilbray/morenews/05142007.shtml - broken link)

-- Smith’s letter comes after the House Immigration Subcommittee heard disturbing testimony about the harmful effect of mass immigration on the economic fate of African-Americans. Mr. T. Willard Fair, a prominent civil rights leader and the President and CEO of the Urban League of Greater Miami, testified that mass immigration contributes to low employment rates in the African-American community and is too often ignored.

As Mr. Fair put it, “…immigration isn’t the whole reason for the drop in employment of black men; it’s not even half the reason. But it is the largest single reason, and it’s something we can fix relatively easily.” Mr. Fair also called for businesses to once again recruit workers from African-American neighborhoods instead of foreign countries, fearing that unless mass immigration ends, African-Americans will continue to be “shut out of jobs.” --

Here's another one:
Illegal Immigration Hurts African Americans"]Illegal Immigration Hurts African Americans[/url]

-- New research by a Vanderbilt professor of law and political science found that illegal immigration is hurting African Americans and the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) is not doing enough about it.

In a new book of essays called Debating Immigration, which Carol Swain edited and contributed to, Swain said that African Americans are losing more jobs to illegal immigrants than other racial or ethic groups, yet low income black workers don’t have political input in the debate.

“African Americans have been left devoid of a strong black voice in Congress on a topic that affects them deeply, given their high unemployment rates and historic struggle to get quality housing, health care, education and other goods and services,” said Swain. --

In other words, Congressional representatives like Obama aren't standing up for low-income African-Americans. He's more worried about getting the Latino vote.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I disagree. It has been stated that blacks don't have jobs because illegals are taking them. Obama simply said this is scapegoating, an attempt to blame illegals for the lack of effort of many blacks to get jobs. Illegal immigration is far more complex of an issue than simply blaming illegals for lack of work. Billary simply stated the classic sound bite on the issue, and you fell for that. She counts on people to support her hollow candidacy by latching on to manufactured, pre-rehearsed poltical sound bites. She's pathetic. Better judgment? Hardly. In a desperate tactical move no doubt designed to address the increasing aware that Obama is the better candidate, she brought in her trash husband Bill to play the race card in an attempt to "put Obama in his place." They wanted to exploit the fact that many people don't want a BLACK MAN winning the presidency. Incredible poor taste here and it exposed the racist core that defines the Clintons. They are pure trash and will say anything to win. This was obvious and it backfired with Billary getting annihilated in South Carolina, a state she was expected to take easily. I would not call her decision to use this tactic, "better judgment." If anything it was the latest display that she is a horrible, ineffective decision maker.

Also, if Billary was more articulate in explaining ideas, then why is she scrambling to find a tactic to be more effective with Obama? This would've been clear early in the campaign and Obama would be sputtering out. Remember, she was considered almost a shoe-in a year ago. Now she's desperately flailing away, praying for help. Any help. No, Obama is far more articulate, far better at expressing his ideas instead of those written by others, far more dignified, and in command. Billary pales in comparison. This is why the Kennedys supported him, why John Kerry supported him, and others. Too bad you don't see that.
Wow, where are you, I guess we see what we live. Hillary may well be all you say, that is not my point. My point is "TRUTH". I'm sure they all lie at times and I know it when I hear it only because of first hand knowledge. Hillary just happened to say the 'truth' on this illegals taking jobs comment, she had to, the whole darn country knows it. I've lived in Los Angeles for many decades, all my life. Illegals have taken my job, undercut my pay in jobs for years, and like Hillary said... illegals have undermined/undercut jobs for Americans, like in construction she mentioned that they are all going to illegals so in construction field people can't get work. Yes, this is the truth. Whether you are a new carpenter or a skilled tradesman the illegals have taken over the construction industry and 'many' others. My family has been in construction for six decades and now my son, he knows there are no Americans to hire any more and he has trouble finding jobs and finding sub-contractors to do these jobs, except for illegals, and Americans keep fleeing to find work in other areas, it's a domino effect in that it's more than one problem illegals cause, but many problems in 'many' job industries. Illegals will take over the whole darn country if we don't stop them!! If you only knew the problems illegals have caused us here in L.A., and jobs is only one of them. I'm not voting for Hillary or McAmnesty nor Obama. P.S. Black and Whites have unemployment as always, but the question was not about this, it was about the specific effect that illegals have on job markets and job pay.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:22 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,182,532 times
Quote:
I disagree. It has been stated that blacks don't have jobs because illegals are taking them. Obama simply said this is scapegoating, an attempt to blame illegals for the lack of effort of many blacks to get jobs.
Nobody asked Obama why black people don't have jobs.

And since they didn't ask, isn't it racist to throw blacks into the discussion for random reasons? The question asked was about illegal immigration and I don't recall any particular races being mentioned.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Nobody asked Obama why black people don't have jobs.

And since they didn't ask, isn't it racist to throw blacks into the discussion for random reasons? The question asked was about illegal immigration and I don't recall any particular races being mentioned.
The problem of blacks not having jobs has been brought up in this context, do some research. It's an issue. Understand what Obama is talking about instead of snippets. Get informed. Also, in case you didn't notice, RACE is a central issue in this country. It continues to be a divisive subject.

Why are you so afraid of someone bringing up race? Is it because a BLACK MAN is pretty close to becoming President or because of my statements about the adversity that black men must overcome to for instance be in Barack's position says a lot about such black men? Maybe it's because this brilliant, articulate man who is obviously Billary's superior, happens to be black.

Race is nothing to be afraid of. I love talking about race. It's one of my favorite subjects.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,182,532 times
Quote:
The problem of blacks not having jobs has been brought up in this context, do some research. It's an issue. Understand what Obama is talking about instead of snippets. Get informed. Also, in case you didn't notice, RACE is a central issue in this country. It continues to be a divisive subject.

Why are you so afraid of someone bringing up race? Is it because a BLACK MAN is pretty close to becoming President or because of my statements about the adversity that black men must overcome to for instance be in Barack's position says a lot about such black men? Maybe it's because this brilliant, articulate man who is obviously Billary's superior, happens to be black.

Race is nothing to be afraid of. I love talking about race. It's one of my favorite subjects.
So, why did Obama use the race card you accuse Hillary of using? And why are you using it?

Also, name-calling ("Billary") -- why are you doing that? Do you think that it makes your debate superior?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Wow, where are you, I guess we see what we live. Hillary may well be all you say, that is not my point. My point is "TRUTH". I'm sure they all lie at times and I know it when I hear it only because of first hand knowledge. Hillary just happened to say the 'truth' on this illegals taking jobs comment, she had to, the whole darn country knows it. I've lived in Los Angeles for many decades, all my life. Illegals have taken my job, undercut my pay in jobs for years, and like Hillary said... illegals have undermined/undercut jobs for Americans, like in construction she mentioned that they are all going to illegals so in construction field people can't get work. Yes, this is the truth. Whether you are a new carpenter or a skilled tradesman the illegals have taken over the construction industry and 'many' others. My family has been in construction for six decades and now my son, he knows there are no Americans to hire any more and he has trouble finding jobs and finding sub-contractors to do these jobs, except for illegals, and Americans keep fleeing to find work in other areas, it's a domino effect in that it's more than one problem illegals cause, but many problems in 'many' job industries. Illegals will take over the whole darn country if we don't stop them!! If you only knew the problems illegals have caused us here in L.A., and jobs is only one of them. I'm not voting for Hillary or McAmnesty nor Obama. P.S. Black and Whites have unemployment as always, but the question was not about this, it was about the specific effect that illegals have on job markets and job pay.
Well, I'm not criticizing you for your position, and I certainly can't tell you how to vote. I lived in LA for a few years so I know the problem. The primary goal of every corporation, firm, or company though is to maximize profits. If cheaper labor is available to do the work, I don't blame them for taking advantage. That's the American way. There is no loyalty to Americans, only maximizing profit. Mexicans or asians can still come into this country illegally and this has been going on for a period of time that spans presidential terms. Why didn't Reagan do something about it? Why didn't Bush Sr do something about it? How about Clinton? What was his problem? Why didn't Dubya do something about it? Where in the hell was the influence of Hillary in Washington while she's been a senator? With all her clout, experience, and connections, why didn't she make more noise about it before she started the campaign? Aside from supporting the war, did she introduce some legislation to deal with the illegal immigration problem at the risk of alienating some of her corporate supporters? Help me understand the strength of Hillary's effort here.

In 2001, I was laid off from my software engineering position after 17 years in the business. I interviewed and trained my replacements: 2 Indians. I saw this coming but did nothing about it and was caught in a layoff. Instead of complaining about the emergence of immigrants (illegal or not) and cheaper labor taking over my job, I recreated and elevated myself. Why should the company continue paying me $150K/year when they can hire two very well qualified Indian workers for $35-40K apiece? They get two highly qualified employees to do more work for less money. This is their perogative. I got my Masters in Comp Sci and I'm a couple years away from becoming a patent attorney. I work for an IP law firm now and I love it. No scapegoating here. I didn't blame my job loss on immigration and Indians. This is what Obama is talking about. The immigration issue is highly complex and resolving it undoubtedly is complicated by conflict of many interests and involves a great deal more than spewing sound bites like Hillary does. She's pathetic.

My perspective on selecting a candidate is different. I don't focus on stated issues during the campaign. Each candidate, once elected, will be guided, not by the positions that they were forced to state in order not to alienate anyone or maximize their attractiveness. They will be guided by their convictions, their principles, their basic beliefs, their personal preferences, limited to some degree by Congress, and to problems that emerge while they are in office. George Bush campaigned on a platform where he stated that he was not into "nation building." This sounded good to many people and increased his attractiveness as a candidate. But a funny thing happened while he was in office. The world trade towers were slammed into and thousands were killed. The Pentagon was attacked. His response was not expected. Declare war on an ideology and attempt to build democratic nations by defeating the ideology with guns and ignoring the domestic needs. He didn't listen to others and remained stubborn in his convictions. One couldn't see this during his campaign, but he operated from his gut and personal principles and under the guidance of those he surrounded himself with. He lied to go to war. Lied to justify going. His is a failed presidency and we have lost that war, lost the ideological war. The ideology has prevailed and grows stronger while Bush tries to salvage his legacy by introducing a military surge to claim a temporary military victory and spur the economy that he neglected during his term by supporting the stimulus (surge) package. He will go down as the worst president in history and I don't think many who voted for him could foresee that this would've been the case during his campaign. Platforms during the campaign mean little.

So I don't care what Billary says. She has been a prominent political figure for quite some time, and I can't think of one thing that she did that made an impact. She has been boosted by the Clinton name and perception, but as Obama is showing, that isn't enough.

I'm proud of Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections