Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,661,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
America had Jim Crow laws up until 1964, and slavery 100 years prior.

Did they shred the Constitution? You better believe they did.

The Japanese internment camps are considered one of the more shameful episodes in US history, I have no idea why you're citing them as a positive, or even a necessary evil. They were neither. You are aware that the government handed out $1.6 billion in reparations for their disgraceful behavior, yes?
Trump is not talking about "internment camps" he is talking about special ID's and surveillance.

And I guess radical Muslims killing your family with a bomb, shooting you at a concert, causing the airplane your in to crash, or poisoning your food (those things are worth happening in order to protect the constitution, and to stop American Muslims from the horrible torture of having a special ID and having their name inside a computer.)

Last edited by chad3; 11-19-2015 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,852,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am mixed German and Japanese. I've heard horror stories from both sides of my families. I think fear is a normal human emotion and one can never judge history using perfect 20/20 hindsight. I can't say that I disagree with you. I DO believe you are a reasonable poster.

I don't think people who support internment camp are all necessarily hateful. Although I can never understand why one of my relatives (now passed away) had to be interned simply because

1. she has 1/8 japanese blood in her
2. She happened to be in the west coast.

However, I think facing reality will help the situation.

It's not unusual for "enemy aliens" to be subjected to this sort of scrutiny during a war. Bund activity and pro-fascist sentiments were not uncommon in the days leading up to the war, and there were justifiable measures taken for national security reasons.

The Germans in the U.S. during WWI had already done a great deal of assimilation in an effort to avoid anti-German sentiment. It should be noted that it was possible for Germans to avoid that sentiment by changing surnames and proper nouns because of their whiteness. The Japanese American population in the years leading up to WWII were extremely patriotic, but it didn't matter, because they were considered unassimilable by definition.

Rounding up Americans of German descent wholesale was never a viable option. Germans have been part of the U.S. population from the days of the American Revolution (as some Hessian mercenaries opted to settle rather than return). Even before then, the story of German nearly becoming the official language of the U.S. is mostly apocryphal, but it contains an element of truth. There's always been a strong German presence in the U.S.

I DO believe Japanese and German Americans have proven loyalty to the country, there will always be people who dislike somebody because of their racial identity or ethnic background, but these people are in the minority.

Muslims? well, it is what it is. It really is their turn to prove their loyalty to the country because let's face it, everybody has to do it, some groups are just luckier than the others.

All these being said, I don't know how wearing special ID really works? I think profiling works, but wearing special ID is just humiliating and unnecessary.

Open to Muslim database seems unrealistic because people don't have to be honest about their religious background.

The only thing I can think of is restrict immigrants from ME region. For people who are already here, well, treat them with human decency. I wish I have a solution, but I don't.
This is exactly what is in Sen. Ted Cruz's bill:

Quote:
Sen. Cruz Introduces the Terrorist Refugee Infiltration Prevention Act
Restricts entry of refugees from countries with active terrorist presence
http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2524

Old 11-19-2015, 09:03 PM

39,310 posts, read 27,684,370 times
...did not rule out requiring Muslims to carry special identification that shows their faith.

I really hope Trump was taken out of context because the above just makes no sense.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 PM

39,310 posts, read 27,684,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Sen Rand Paul also suggested it.

In my hometown of Bowling Green, Kentucky, we had two Iraqi refugees who were let into our country who were plotting to buy stinger missiles a few years ago, but they got arrested and put in jail. But I think we’re doing the wrong thing by just having this open door policy to bring in people without significant scrutiny. I’m for increasing scrutiny on people who come on student visas from the 25 countries that have significant jihadism. Also, any kind of permanent visas or green cards, we need to be very careful. I don’t think we’re being careful enough with who we let in.

Rand Paul: Restrict Immigration from Muslim Nations

Have to say that I agree with both Paul and Cruz. Better for the refugee and Muslim immigrants too, I don't think they want to be viewed as suspect. So doesn't make sense to come here. Just like during ww2, america did not allow Japanese or german immigrants. Makes sense, every country does the same thing. It is what it is. No need to be upset about it.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:43 PM

58 posts, read 45,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
WS88 - I am pleased to see a Republican sees the truth of The Donald. He is a bankrupt real estate salesman and a political demagogue that is spouting racist nationalism to anyone that will listen.
1. Donald Trump is not bankrupt. His businesses went through Chapter 11 bankruptcy organization in order to renegotiate or postpone debt so the company could stay in business and pay it off. Saying he went "bankrupt" is a common misunderstanding among people who don't understand the differences between the different types of bankruptcies.

2. "Racist", really? The cry of those who having nothing substantial to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Trump: Open To Special ID's, Databases, For American Muslims-race-card-norwoodteaparty.com-400x230.png  

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am mixed German and Japanese. I've heard horror stories from both sides of my families. I think fear is a normal human emotion and one can never judge history using perfect 20/20 hindsight. I can't say that I disagree with you. I DO believe you are a reasonable poster.

I don't think people who support internment camp are all necessarily hateful. Although I can never understand why one of my relatives (now passed away) had to be interned simply because

1. she has 1/8 japanese blood in her
2. She happened to be in the west coast.

However, I think facing reality will help the situation.
I did not bring up the Japanese Internment Camps to claim they were a good thing. I brought them up to show that during times of war countries often take away certain citizens rights who are considered a threat to the country.

And I watched a documentary about the Japanese camps. And I'm sorry that your family had to go through the harassment and relocation. I am just glad that in those camps they still got to keep their culture, go to school, play games, get married, ex.ex. It must have been a highly traumatic experience and a painfully ironic experience being that most of them were as loyal/or more loyal Americans than the ones who resettled them.

Someone said "even the nicest prison is still a prison", but I'm just glad your family was able to live a somewhat normal life in those camps.

Quote:
Muslims? well, it is what it is. It really is their turn to prove their loyalty to the country because let's face it, everybody has to do it, some groups are just luckier than the others.
I'm not saying Muslims have something to prove, but rather Americans sometimes must make sacrifices for America. And as my post #95 said those things are a benefit to American Muslims and Muslim countries as well.

Quote:
All these being said, I don't know how wearing special ID really works? I think profiling works, but wearing special ID is just humiliating and unnecessary.
To have American Muslims wear special ID's (is humiliating.) I meant having a special ID/drivers licence so they will not be allowed to enter places where terrorist actions could be a threat. ex.ex.

Quote:
For people who are already here, well, treat them with human decency.
But I don't see much of American Muslims being treated with human decency. I see Americans hating Muslims, insulting Islam, talking about bombing Muslim countries, talking about deporting all Muslims, and talking about Muslims no longer being able to come to America, ex.ex.

And the way I see it having a respectful US government monitoring system of American Muslims (is a hell of a lot more kind, civilized, and decent than all the things that are happening from the above paragraph.)

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 11-19-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM

58 posts, read 45,777 times
Please read this entry on Snopes.com about the inaccurate reporting that Trump wants Muslims to wear special badges or IDs - it's been completely discredited.

Demerit Badge : snopes.com

Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,729,005 times
Well was going to vote for Trump election time now that's changed

Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
But with Ted Cruz another bill comes with it. And the other bill adds $16.2 trillion dollars to our national debt.

Ted Cruz's Tax Plan Would Cost $16.2 Trillion over 10 Years--Or Maybe Altogether Eliminate Tax Collection | Tax Justice Blog

How Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz Would Radically Increase Taxes on Everyone But the Rich | Tax Justice Blog

Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,296,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan551 View Post
Please read this entry on Snopes.com about the inaccurate reporting that Trump wants Muslims to wear special badges or IDs - it's been completely discredited.

Demerit Badge : snopes.com
Wow--how generous of him.

"Donald Trump "would certainly implement" a database system tracking Muslims in the United States, the Republican front-runner told NBC News on Thursday night.

"I would certainly implement that. Absolutely," Trump said in Newton, Iowa, in between campaign town halls. When asked whether Muslims would be legally obligated to sign into the database, Trump responded, "They have to be — they have to be."

Trump Says He 'Would Certainly Implement' Muslim Database - NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections