Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,364,317 times

Advertisements

Hopefully both Trump and Sanders. Let's have a 4 way race.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:56 PM

4,640 posts, read 3,452,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Hopefully both Trump and Sanders. Let's have a 4 way race.
This is what I think will happen. Trump will go first, Sanders armed with polling data that shows his split will fracture the Dems less than Trumps split, will then go for it. The problem will be that no one gets 270, and the House puts in the Republican official candidate, even if he is the 3rd or 4th place vote getter.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,328,795 times
Sanders has no interest in running an independent presidential race. He has stated this before, anyone who thinks he will is just fantasizing about something that won't happen.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:27 AM

401 posts, read 288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
This is what I think will happen. Trump will go first, Sanders armed with polling data that shows his split will fracture the Dems less than Trumps split, will then go for it. The problem will be that no one gets 270, and the House puts in the Republican official candidate, even if he is the 3rd or 4th place vote getter.
That would be awesome, theres definitely a movie script in there somewhere.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
Most likely Trump. I did vote for Perot because I didn't like either Bush or Clinton.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:21 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
No one.

Sanders has zero interest in it. That's why he's said, over and over, that he won't do it. That's why he refused to take Clinton to task for emails - the only explanation for him not doing that is that he's not about to commit any Democrat-on-Democrat violence.

And Trump? I wouldn't completely rule it out, but getting ballot access as in independent is expensive. All 51 jurisdictions (the states + DC) have different requirements and the signature-gathering is very labor-intensive. That alone would cost Trump probably 8 figures and I am highly dubious - as much fun as I'm sure he's having with his Republican Survivor reality show - that he wants to pony up that kind of cash in a losing effort (which it would be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Sanders. It would make my day if he ran third party.
Exactly - it would make your day. That's all this is, wishful thinking by people who should know better, but act like they've never seen a Presidential election before.

I am perpetually impressed here by the inability of people to different what is likely to happen from what they desperately wish would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I must have missed Webb's big announcement.
There was no such announcement. Once again, WaldoKitty is either confused or just engaging in wishful thinking. All the breathless "Webb might run as an independent!" nonsense is based solely on the fact that Webb, at his I'm-quitting presser, was asked about an independent bid and replied that he was looking at all his options. The usual suspects have responded about as nonsensically as they usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Well, since the Constitution specifically limits the House to choosing from the top 3 recipients of Electoral College votes then, no, the 4th-place candidate in the College would not - could not - be chosen by the House. Of course, none of your fantasy is even remotely likely to happen.

Last edited by Unsettomati; 11-21-2015 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: sp.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:44 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,817,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

There was no such announcement. Once again, WaldoKitty is either confused or just engaging in wishful thinking.
Is the only thing that you can do on City Data is insult people? I clearly admitted that I was wrong. What more do you want?

Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,796 times
Donald Trump Isn

He won't actually do it, but he certainly has the ego, temperament and money to throw a monkey wrench into the election.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,663,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Trump, if he doesn't get the nomination, would be the only possible one I could see this election cycle, and only if he thinks he was denied it unfairly. As others have said in this thread, Sanders has been pretty clear that he won't divide the Democratic vote by running third party. He cares more about keeping the White House out of Republican hands than he does about occupying it himself.
Donald Trump Isn

You can say whatever you want about Trump, but at least you can say he’s a guy you can’t trust to keep his word.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:14 PM

401 posts, read 288,860 times
I still wonder about Biden, in national polling he beats every Repubic whereas Clinton only beats most of them. Biden could start getting signatures in January and easily get on all 50 ballots. It would be awesome to have a four candidate race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections