Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 PM

16,762 posts, read 8,229,990 times

Advertisements

Pretty funny, he is a naturally born Canadian. Not a Naturally born American. Can't wait till the court case starts.

Nothing like duel citizenship. He can become PM of Canada while not President of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:26 PM

89,096 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You know, that explains a lot.
Exactly. I haven't been dumbed-down.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I think that your refusal to answer speaks volumes.
I answered with an example that illustrates exactly why such a question has NO bearing whatsoever on a born foreign citizen's legal obligations.

Hell, I could "feel" like I should be able to drive 100 mph. Does my "feeling" make doing so legal in a 55 mph zone?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM

8,428 posts, read 7,434,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I answered with an example that illustrates exactly why such a question has NO bearing whatsoever on a born foreign citizen's legal obligations.

Hell, I could "feel" like I should be able to drive 100 mph. Does my "feeling" make doing so legal in a 55 mph zone?
No, you dodged the question.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
No, you dodged the question.
Because, if you were smart enough to pick up on it, any answer to that question doesn't matter. "Feelings" don't overrule centuries old well-established international LAW.

That's why the US State Department issues this warning, to this day:
Quote:
"Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice.

"...The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there."
Dual Nationality

FACTS, people... not "feelings."

Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM

This issue is likely to arise in tonight's debate. Should be interesting to see if Cruz tries to invoke the REPEALED 1790 law.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because, if you were smart enough to pick up on it, any answer to that question doesn't matter. "Feelings" don't overrule centuries old well-established international LAW.

That's why the US State Department issues this warning, to this day:
Dual Nationality

FACTS, people... not "feelings."
So your answer is yes, the possibility exists that a President Ted Cruz is subject to Canadian or Cuban law and thus, we can't have Raoul Castro in charge at the White House?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
So your answer is yes, the possibility exists that a President Ted Cruz is subject to Canadian or Cuban law and thus, we can't have Ted Cruz in charge at the White House?
It's not just a "possibility." It's a matter of centuries old well-established international law. The US State Department STILL warns about it to this day. I posted the link.

Obama is ineligible, as well, having admittedly been born British (via his Father).

Old 01-14-2016, 01:00 PM

Uh huh.

By the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1956, both Ted Cruz and Barack Obama are considered to be citizens of the United States at birth.

Yet you feel that they shouldn't be eligible for the Presidency because of the phrase 'natural born citizen', which you infer from a letter by John Jay to mean 'no foreigners allowed'.

Quite a step for you, moving away from a literal interpretation of the Constitution.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Uh huh.

By the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1956, both Ted Cruz and Barack Obama are considered to be citizens of the United States at birth.
OK, but the Constitution requires NBC status for POTUS eligibility.

Both Cruz and Obama are eligible for Congress, though. That requires only citizenship.

Quote:
Yet you feel that they shouldn't be eligible for the Presidency because of the phrase 'natural born citizen', which you infer from a letter by John Jay to mean 'no foreigners allowed'.
That was stated, explicitly, when Jay suggested it and Washington accepted the suggestion, and subsequently thanked Jay for it. It was then inserted into the Constitution, adopted, and ratified.

History matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections