Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,915,197 times

Advertisements

As an unaffiliated voter with crossover views, I would love to learn why you vote based on Party, rather than by Candidate? I really would love to know. My parents for instance, have far right wing ways of thinking (they scare me, quite frankly), yet they vote democrat 100% of the time. They do so, because their parents taught them that voting democrat is the only correct choice. So they comply, even though it goes against ever fiber of their being. When I ask them why they vote one way, when thinking another, they just spout out with anger that their parents taught them that all democrats are for the poor and all republicans are for the rich. I thought to myself, what a stupid stereotypical philosophy that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 02:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
In my high school civics class we learned the fundamental core values between liberal and conservative ways of thinking,those core values are what one should be voting for rather than which candidate comes off better in the media circus.
A short recap of those core values=
https://www.studentnewsdaily.com/con...beral-beliefs/

Old 01-16-2016, 02:31 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
I'm usually forced to vote for the 'lessor of two evils' who are the frontrunners. If I don't vote for my choice of frontrunner, my vote is 'wasted' on a candidate who doesn't have enough support. I'm more voting against the other candidate than for a candidate. Luckily so far this election my favorite candidate is leading.

I agree that Democrats are not really for the poor anymore. I do the opposite of your parents in that I vote Republican even though I too think they favor the wealthy too much, because the Democrats stand for everything I'm against. I can sort of understand being a one-issue voter. I would vote for the candidate who takes the hardest line against mass immigration and multiculturalism.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
I used to vote for both Republicans and Democrats -- but I got so angry at the Republicans when they decided to try and impeach Bill Clinton that I stopped voting for Republicans. Now I'll only vote for a Republican if the Democrat is really really bad (and I mean really bad, like a convicted criminal or certifiably crazy).

Old 01-16-2016, 03:53 AM

11,804 posts, read 5,807,707 times
And yet I'm on the other side of the fence. I use to always vote Democrat - but once Clinton came to town - found that many of the values I held and were part of the Democratic party in the past - were thrown to the wind. Since then - I follow my own convictions and vote Republican, Democrat and third party. I'm my own person and do not feel the need to support a specific party.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In my high school civics class we learned the fundamental core values between liberal and conservative ways of thinking,those core values are what one should be voting for rather than which candidate comes off better in the media circus.
This has changed over time. The party lines are not that firm anymore especially since most candidates wear a "For Sale" sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And yet I'm on the other side of the fence. I use to always vote Democrat - but once Clinton came to town - found that many of the values I held and were part of the Democratic party in the past - were thrown to the wind. Since then - I follow my own convictions and vote Republican, Democrat and third party. I'm my own person and do not feel the need to support a specific party.
I'm just like xray731 ^^^. I started voting in 1972 as a Democrat based on what I learned in school about what the parties represented but today, that just doesn't apply. I look at what they are saying and what their history indicates about them. You can just erase the party for me and i'll pick the best candidate.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:41 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
In my high school civics class we learned the fundamental core values between liberal and conservative ways of thinkinghttps://www.studentnewsdaily.com/con...beral-beliefs/
... and that's one of the reasons this country is leaderless and going down the crapper.

A civics class should be teaching the mechanics of the Constitution - which makes no mention of political parties or ideologies - and the mechanics of Constitutional government at all levels, federal, state, county, and local. Period.

All this crap about parties, liberals, conservatives, etc. is a smokescreen to hide individual agendas because, after all, politics is the struggle for power among humans, with faces, names and addresses, not phantomological parties and ideologies which are mere tools and those who actually believe in them mere pawns in the game.

Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
... and that's one of the reasons this country is leaderless and going down the crapper.

A civics class should be teaching the mechanics of the Constitution - which makes no mention of political parties or ideologies - and the mechanics of Constitutional government at all levels, federal, state, county, and local. Period.

All this crap about parties, liberals, conservatives, etc. is a smokescreen to hide individual agendas because, after all, politics is the struggle for power among humans, with faces, names and addresses, not phantomological parties and ideologies which are mere tools and those who actually believe in them mere pawns in the game.

Good Luck!
The civics classes i took were a much more in depth study of how government works not only limited to constitutional issues but also included the dynamics of all aspects of government including the core values of various political parties.
If we are to vote merely on how a candidate looks then i'm voting for Bernie as he looks like my grandpa.
Bale002,out of curiosity who are you voting for?

Old 01-16-2016, 07:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
I think the whole "values" thing is highly overrated. How many times have you been disappointed? I vote based on whether I think a person's history indicates they will make an effort and be able to accomplish their promises. If I see a guy who's all talk and no action, I ain't votin' for him no matter how eloquently he speaks, who his parents were or whether he went to church a lot.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
It's completely irresponsible for a school system to be teaching students the meaning of "liberal' & "conservative" as described in that link. Beyond it being total nonsense, it gives the students the false impression these are the differences between the political parties. No wonder kids graduating from schools these days are ignorant of how government is supposed to work and can't critically think.

Anyone who votes the "party" instead of the candidate isn't paying attention. They are the fools in the electorate which politicians love. They love these fools because they will believe anything the politician says, and the politician doesn't have to commit any political capital to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections