Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times

Advertisements

In December of 2013 a group of New York political operatives approached Trump and asked him to run for governor of New York. He declined, saying he had a bigger goal--a run for the presidency. The plan he then laid out sounded completely implausible to the group.

He predicted he would walk away with the nomination not by outlining where he wanted to lead the country or by policy proposals or even with a show of his knowledge or understanding of national or world affairs. He would do it merely by controlling the media.

Quote:
"I’m going to walk away with it and win it outright. I’m going to get in and all the polls are going to go crazy. I’m going to suck all the oxygen out of the room. I know how to work the media in a way that they will never take the lights off of me.'"
How Trump Did It - POLITICO Magazine

His public pouting following Iowa, his fight with Megyn Kelly, and indeed, all of the outrageous things he's said and done since he announced are all calculated with one goal in mind--do whatever it takes to keep the media spotlight firmly on him at all times. As he told the group that night, "It's really about the power of the mass audience."

He's the modern day PT Barnum. He's playing us all.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Modern day PT Banum or Jim Jones. I'm not sure which. Time will tell.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
He started donating to conservatives causes two years ago, such as Liberty University. That Falwell endorsement came at just the right time.

IMO! he has been having focus groups for longer than that. He can't do anything wrong. He knows exactly how far to go. But there is no way to check. His whole campaign looks totally scripted to me.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
He started donating to conservatives causes two years ago, such as Liberty University. That Falwell endorsement came at just the right time.

IMO! he has been having focus groups for longer than that. He can't do anything wrong. He knows exactly how far to go. But there is no way to check. His whole campaign looks totally scripted to me.

Good point! I turn the channel every time they let that blowhard on.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,794 times
Yes. Trump is punking us. Now go start another anti-Trump thread.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
In December of 2013 a group of New York political operatives approached Trump and asked him to run for governor of New York. He declined, saying he had a bigger goal--a run for the presidency. The plan he then laid out sounded completely implausible to the group.

He predicted he would walk away with the nomination not by outlining where he wanted to lead the country or by policy proposals or even with a show of his knowledge or understanding of national or world affairs. He would do it merely by controlling the media.

How Trump Did It - POLITICO Magazine

His public pouting following Iowa, his fight with Megyn Kelly, and indeed, all of the outrageous things he's said and done since he announced are all calculated with one goal in mind--do whatever it takes to keep the media spotlight firmly on him at all times. As he told the group that night, "It's really about the power of the mass audience."

He's the modern day PT Barnum. He's playing us all.

Well, to be more precise, Trump is punking SOME of us, myself NOT included. It is obvious that he has no plan to campaign on the issues, because he does not have any idea what the issues are that effect every day Americans. He wants to be in the WH so he can make HIS life better.

More and more, I keep coming back to the historical reference of "bread and circuses."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

I had to edit to add that looking at the references at the bottom of the wiki page, I chuckled when I saw that the movie "Idiocracy" was listed as "See Also."

Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

Is Trump Punking Us?

when the *** is up - if he wins it all - will he vacate the premises or will he keep the job at POTUS...? punking assumes that once he's proven his point, he tells all and leaves us needing a president....

Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,224 times
TRUMP - punking????

Have you read his book - the Art of the Deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mRuq4oSV0

He knows how to draw large crowds - last night another 12,000 in Arkansas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6LYrjxfSo

Trump is smart, especially with cash. He has plans which he will announce later. If he starts talking details now, he's giving more to the others to speak about he's running against.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:47 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
You may have been punked to the point of distraction by Trump. That would account for your obsession. Leave us out of it. There is no us. The line of politicians that are more to your liking are behind you waiting their turn. Pick one with your vote and send them flowers this Valentines day. Spending time working for or thinking about your favorite will improve your life according to many adults and pundits who speak on the issue.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
He is punking the media just exactly like he promised. He is playing them like a Stradivarius violin.

As far as the Republican electorate, polls have been showing him with about 1/3 support, but the one professionally done poll we have seen after Iowa now shows his national support down to 1/4. That is not enough to win the nomination. So he is clearly connecting with a sizeable group of registered Democrats and Republicans, but beyond that group, he does not have very much support at all.

Enjoy the show while it lasts people. The media is all in and they will squeeze eggs out of this golden goose for as long as they can. At some point the jigg will be up, and then Trump's troll act will get boring, and then even the media will move on to something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections