Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,905,578 times

Advertisements

Under no time in my working life would single payer, with the certain tax increase, have been good for me. I have never paid more than 150 bucks a month for insurance. I would have said to hell with single payer 40 years ago. This ain't a generational issue. It's a rift between those who choose to work until retirement age and those who do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Because your taxes only funded a small portion of medicare. The program is one of the biggest drivers of the national debt.
Your income taxes only fund a very small portion of what the country spends. I'm assuming you still expect to use the roads?

Quote:
So if you want to be consistent with the principles of fairness you laid out in your first post, yes, you would forego medicare because you didn't fully pay your share of it.
That's not how insurance works is it?

Quote:
Now, it goes without saying that there are tons of hypocrites who will oppose single payer, but still use medicare. This is selfish but that is human nature.
There are many valid arguments. This is not one of them.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Under no time in my working life would single payer, with the certain tax increase, have been good for me. I have never paid more than 150 bucks a month for insurance. I would have said to hell with single payer 40 years ago. This ain't a generational issue. It's a rift between those who choose to work until retirement age and those who do not.
"Retirement age". That isn't a set thing. I hope to retire in a few years. Late 50's. I will have worked for around 45 years. I hope we have single payer by then.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,905,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your income taxes only fund a very small portion of what the country spends. I'm assuming you still expect to use the roads?

That's not how insurance works is it?

There are many valid arguments. This is not one of them.
It is an amazingly stupid argument. Our nation developed an excellent system where people have their insurance highly subsidized by their company until retirement age and then governmet insurance when they no longer work. I would have opposed single payer just as strongly 40 years ago as I do now. I guess liberals want people to work until they die.

Looking at my pay record. $64.71 taken out of my paycheck for the last two weeks for my health insurance. How much is single payer gonna cost me? The fact is single payer is a bad idea for the majority of working Americans. Government insurance is great for non-working Americans. I think Americans between 21 and 65 should be working.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is an amazingly stupid argument. Our nation developed an excellent system where people have their insurance highly subsidized by their company until retirement age and then governmet insurance when they no longer work. I would have opposed single payer just as strongly 40 years ago as I do now. I guess liberals want people to work until they die.

Looking at my pay record. $64.71 taken out of my paycheck for the last two weeks for my health insurance. How much is single payer gonna cost me? The fact is single payer is a bad idea for the majority of working Americans. Government insurance is great for non-working Americans. I think Americans between 21 and 65 should be working.
I think you misunderstood my argument. For one, few companies offer subsidized insurance any longer so a large percentage of those working can not afford to go to the doctor.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:29 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I fully expect ALL the Republican voters on here who are opposed to single payer healthcare to sign a pledge that they will not sign up for Medicare when they hit 65 years old, and fully fund their own healthcare.
I'd agree to that if the government refunded all the Medicare tax I've paid for decades, plus interest.

Why don't you get Obama, Hillary, Sanders... any Dem for that matter, to propose and pass that program?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Well I certainly don't advocate a road system that's only available to seniors.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Well I certainly don't advocate a road system that's only available to seniors.
Why not? They have certainly paid more into it than you.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Why not? They have certainly paid more into it than you.
You're asking why I don't advocate a road system that prohibits people under-65 using it?

This is not a very good question.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
You're asking why I don't advocate a road system that prohibits people under-65 using it?

This is not a very good question.
It wasn't what you said either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections