Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:09 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,541,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
If Hillary is indicted, the nomination would not go to Bernie by default. The nomination would be decided by a majority of the delegates to the Democratic Convention. If she were indicted, she would be pressured to withdraw, but probably not legally required to withdraw. If she withdrew, the question would be whether a majority of delegates would coalesce around Bernie, or pressure Joe Biden or someone else to enter the race at the last minute. It hasn't happened in our lifetime, but in 1924 the Democrats didn't nominate a candidate until the 104th ballot. A Convention surprise isn't likely, but if no one receives a majority in the primaries it is possible.
If the leading DNC candidate (Clinton or Sanders) is compromised when the convention rolls around, the super delegates will vote for the other person, thereby giving the nomination to him/her. That's similar to what happened with Dean and Kerry; in that case it all went down before the convention.

I think what the OP is asking is "what would happen if the party nominee becomes compromised?". In that case there's no do over. Voters can vote for the compromised candidate, another party's candidate, an Independent candidate, write in a candidate, or they can stay home in November. Regardless of how the popular vote falls, the electoral college would likely elect the major party candidate that's uncompromised. That's one argument in favor of the electoral college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Is anyone going to SERIOUSLY answer my qyuestion??
I'd start with the fact that an indictment's not a conviction.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:08 AM

7,516 posts, read 5,761,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Because for all the we are the "99%" talk, Democrats support political elites being above the law and above us plebeians.
Yup, and the entitlement enslaved minions keep them in office. The moonbat drones... Raaaccisttt, Iisslamsphobeee, Hilllarryyyy giver of food stamps, Hillary gonna pay'a my'a gas... Ma mortgage

Old 02-13-2016, 11:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
. Time to face the facts! This woman is dishonest to her core and anyone who can't see that is either extremely naive, a hard-core partisan or just an old-fashioned idiot.
What facts can you present? all i'm seeing is your opinion probably based on rightwing wishful thinking.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
To all of you who know the details of the way the election process works, what really happens if Hillary were to win over Sanders in the primaries and then she gets indited? Does Bernie win by default?
Charges of mishandling classified information would end Hillary’s presidential bid for good. Martin O’Malley is barely hanging on in today’s polls with 4.3 percent in Iowa, so it is safe to assume that Bernie Sanders will win the Democratic caucuses if Hillary is indicted, as threatened. Sanders would still have to make Donald Trump “feel the Bern†in order to win the White House, but this scenario would make that goal difficult since he’d still carry the burden of defending Hillary before the Democratic scandal came to fruition.

Read more at If Hillary Clinton Indicted Or Arrested, Will ‘President’ Bernie Sanders Win? FBI Targets Huma Abedin Over Emails Scandal

I don't think Clinton would get indicted, but if she got indicted, that means Bernie would be nominee, but that also means Republican wins presidency.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:13 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,417,806 times
To answer the OP' question directly and pointedly (irregardless of who I want elected as POTUS):

If she is chosen as the Democratic Party's nominee and has already chosen a VP running mate by the time she would be hypotheticaly indicted, I would suppose that the way the law works, her chosen VP would be the nominee.

But if Clinton is taken down by that time as a result of an indictment, it might be the case that, if she is taken down, her VP choice is taken down as well. If that is, in fact, the case, then, being that the contest for being the nominee came down to being between Clinton and Sanders, I suppose that, by legal default, Sanders would become the Democratic nominee . . . for he made it to the Democratic Convention above all other competitors for the nomination other than Clinton and the only way that he could have made it to the Democratic Convention would be that the Democratic Party electorate and infrastructure that control who becomes an allowed nominee competitor and who doesn't have chosen to let Sanders be the sole other choice for competing for the nomination against Clinton. So what I think is my legal understanding of how the system works is that the nomination for Democratic Party candidate for POTUS would then fall to Sanders.

Yet if she is indicted after having been already chosen as the Democratic Party candidate for POTUS, I'm not sure how the legal rules work. I surmise that her VP would be the nominee and would then quickly have to choose a VP as his or her runing mate. A constiutional scholar or professor of politicial science or government would have to address these hypothetical "what if" scenarios.

P.S.-- TO THE OP: You keep spelling "indicted" wrong. It is "indicted", not "indited" (notice the inserted letter "c").

Old 02-13-2016, 12:32 PM

7,653 posts, read 8,724,194 times
I fear there would be many suicides and "suicides"--some kill themselves out of despair, some die of unexplained deaths, some simply disappear for good.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I fear there would be many suicides and "suicides"--some kill themselves out of despair, some die of unexplained deaths, some simply disappear for good.
If Hillary wins or loses? Where does this despair come from? I'm not seeing it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:46 PM

7,653 posts, read 8,724,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If Hillary wins or loses? Where does this despair come from? I'm not seeing it.
I've heard an acquaintance say he's reserving the last bullet in case Clinton wins.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,126,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
To answer the OP' question directly and pointedly (irregardless of who I want elected as POTUS):

If she is chosen as the Democratic Party's nominee and has already chosen a VP running mate by the time she would be hypotheticaly indicted, I would suppose that the way the law works, her chosen VP would be the nominee.

But if Clinton is taken down by that time as a result of an indictment, it might be the case that, if she is taken down, her VP choice is taken down as well. If that is, in fact, the case, then, being that the contest for being the nominee came down to being between Clinton and Sanders, I suppose that, by legal default, Sanders would become the Democratic nominee . . . for he made it to the Democratic Convention above all other competitors for the nomination other than Clinton and the only way that he could have made it to the Democratic Convention would be that the Democratic Party electorate and infrastructure that control who becomes an allowed nominee competitor and who doesn't have chosen to let Sanders be the sole other choice for competing for the nomination against Clinton. So what I think is my legal understanding of how the system works is that the nomination for Democratic Party candidate for POTUS would then fall to Sanders.

Yet if she is indicted after having been already chosen as the Democratic Party candidate for POTUS, I'm not sure how the legal rules work. I surmise that her VP would be the nominee and would then quickly have to choose a VP as his or her runing mate. A constiutional scholar or professor of politicial science or government would have to address these hypothetical "what if" scenarios.

P.S.-- TO THE OP: You keep spelling "indicted" wrong. It is "indicted", not "indited" (notice the inserted letter "c").

I am not sure why it took so long for everyone to take my question for what it is....A real questioning of how the voting process works on a practical (not political) indiCtment of a candidate.... (sorry about the spelling error, it wasn't underlined when I typed it so I assumed it was correct)

Obviously a political science major or constitutional scholar MIGHT have the answer but since it has not happened before it is just interesting to discuss. Thank you to everyone who got past the political part of my question to give it a serious narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections