Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,652,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
For millennials, it could be more like 30 years of a right-wing Court, if Trump/Cruz/Rubio gets to appoint 3 justices.
That's why I'll hold my nose and vote for Bernie if he makes it to the general.
Absolutely. The importance of the Supreme Court cannot be overstated. 30-40 years of a conservative court could undo all the social progress we have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
No it's not. It's the same old game they've been playing for decades. The lesser of two evils is still evil. Like Sanders said, without serious campaign finance reform, and getting money out of politics, nothing will ever really change.

I'm not a democrat, so you'll find no loyalty from me.
You don't need to be a Democrat to understand the implications of a very conservative Supreme Court. Marriage equality ring a bell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,572,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely. The importance of the Supreme Court cannot be overstated. 30-40 years of a conservative court could undo all the social progress we have made.

You don't need to be a Democrat to understand the implications of a very conservative Supreme Court. Marriage equality ring a bell?
I'm not gay. Not that I don't think gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, but my family's well being has not changed based on the expansion of marriage rights. In my honest opinion, social issues are the most effective tools for the elites to keep our minds off economic realities. And lets be real, Clinton only recently changed her mind on gay marriage. The woman is a snake.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:48 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,369,322 times
Quote:
I'm not gay. Not that I don't think gays shouldn't be allowed to marry, but my family's well being has not changed based on the expansion of marriage rights. In my honest opinion, social issues are the most effective tools for the elites to keep our minds off economic realities. And lets be real, Clinton only recently changed her mind on gay marriage. The woman is a snake.
So did Bernie. His first statements in support of gay marriage were not until 2009. Until at least 2006, he spoke against it in favor of civil unions instead. So is he a snake too?

But I completely disagree that economic realities are the only thing that matters. Civil rights, which same sex marriage is, are critical to the strength of our country.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The entire COUNTRY evolved on gay marriage.

Hey - no skin off my back. Enjoy the theocracy you will enjoy for the next 30 years.

PS: I won't be voting for your candidate either should he win.

Now what? Looks like we got ourselves a stand-off and a Republican president.

Shrugs shoulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So did Bernie. His first statements in support of gay marriage were not until 2009. Until at least 2006, he spoke against it in favor of civil unions instead. So is he a snake too?

But I completely disagree that economic realities are the only thing that matters. Civil rights, which same sex marriage is, are critical to the strength of our country.
Absolutely. Perhaps they can only truly be understood by people who remember when there were none.

All Bernie's folks care about is hating Wall Street and Big Banks.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:15 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,011,717 times
The reason these social issues are even an issue is precisely because of economic realities, which some candidates feel is not an issue (perhaps because they are multimillionaires or billionaires themselves).

People in America are kept in financial and economic fear and religion is used by the economic royalists as a way to control the population. Both religious leaders and the economic elites have converging interests as a population who feel economically vulnerable are fearful.

At any moment, an accident or bad luck can spell economic disaster. All studies show that when people become more economically secure, they become less religious. A stronger social safety net and FDRs "second bill of rights" reduces the power of conservative religious institutions and people feel more secure. Power-hungry preachers prey on the people today and they want it that way. And so does the economic elites who fund campaigns. A vulnerable and fearful population is a population easy to control.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The reason these social issues are even an issue is precisely because of economic realities, which some candidates feel is not an issue (perhaps because they are multimillionaires or billionaires themselves).

People in America are kept in financial and economic fear and religion is used by the economic royalists as a way to control the population. Both religious leaders and the economic elites have converging interests as a population who feel economically vulnerable are fearful.

At any moment, an accident or bad luck can spell economic disaster. All studies show that when people become more economically secure, they become less religious. A stronger social safety net and FDRs "second bill of rights" reduces the power of conservative religious institutions and people feel more secure. Power-hungry preachers prey on the people today and they want it that way. And so does the economic elites who fund campaigns. A vulnerable and fearful population is a population easy to control.
Do you remember Alabama in the 60's?

Tell me again how civil rights don't matter.

All of it matters - financial stability included.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Do you remember Alabama in the 60's?

Tell me again how civil rights don't matter.

All of it matters - financial stability included.
Civil rights are also connected to economic realities. They are parallel issues. Economic royalists who buy politicians use their power through government to divide people up in order to control the population. Making the poor white starvin' Marvin hate the even poorer "welfare Queen" is part of that strategy. Martin Luther King was not so much feared by the government when he talked about racial equality. As soon as he emphasized that all working class and low income people unite for economic justice and redistribution of wealth, the security state went into overdrive to muzzle him.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Civil rights are also connected to economic realities. They are parallel issues. Economic royalists who buy politicians use their power through government to divide people up in order to control the population. Making the poor white starvin' Marvin hate the even poorer "welfare Queen" is part of that strategy. Martin Luther King was not so much feared by the government when he talked about racial equality. As soon as he emphasized that all working class and low income people unite for economic justice, the security state went into overdrive to muzzle him.
No. You weren't in Alabama in the sixties.

Welfare queen is a Reagan term.

People were treated worse than animals. And they died. So do NOT tell me that civil rights don't matter. Because I will never, ever believe you.

My own mother couldn't have a credit card in her name in the 70's. Didn't matter how much money we had. We had money. She still couldn't get a credit card in her name.

Maybe you weren't around when we were fighting the fight.

Economic security? Sure, it matters. But it is not everything when your life is expendable because of the color of your skin.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
No. You weren't in Alabama in the sixties.

Welfare queen is a Reagan term.
It didnt start with Reagan...Economic elites and their well funded politicians used clever ways in order to divide whites and blacks, and make poor whites hate poorer blacks instead of them both joining together to fight the oppressors and oligarchs at the top.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,572,208 times
Quote:
The entire COUNTRY evolved on gay marriage.

Hey - no skin off my back. Enjoy the theocracy you will enjoy for the next 30 years.

PS: I won't be voting for your candidate either should he win.

Now what? Looks like we got ourselves a stand-off and a Republican president.

Shrugs shoulders.

Absolutely. Perhaps they can only truly be understood by people who remember when there were none.

All Bernie's folks care about is hating Wall Street and Big Banks.
The fact you're resorting to "it's better than a republican" shows how weak your candidate is, and you know it. Hillary is no different from what is left of the republican candidates, so no, I don't really care if we get a republican candidate at that point. You don't care if you're being oppressed so long as it's by a liberal. Go comfort the struggling families that even if they're poor and exploited, at least they got gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections