Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,953,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Look, Hillary was looking for a tough on crime, racist element when she made those comments.
So I guess each time someone does not mention race, he/she must be talking about it? I remember McGruff, the dog who told us to "Take a Bite out of Crime." Was he a racist dog? I never realized he was telling kids to beware of the Black children in their neighborhoods.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
She probably peeled off a few Benjamins, stuffed them into the protestors' hands, and told them if that wasn't enough, they might end up like Vince Foster.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,596,399 times
Quote:
Except that the facts support disproportionate arrest rates and sentencing by race, as I linked to in my last post.
I agree with that part of it. It's more common to be arrested in high crime areas because that's where the police are. It also hurts to openly sell drugs on the street in a high crime/heavily patrolled area. White people sell drugs, but I have never seen one do it out on the street (at least not openly). That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I would think it much less common. A white dealer usually has to have someone narc on them for them to get caught.

I absolutely think black people (and poor people in general) get a bad deal in the justice system. Money is what helps make a good defense, and people with money who hire a lawyer instead of getting a public defender usually get lighter sentences or are able to convince the lawyer to fight instead of plea bargain, which only sets them up to have multiple offenses on their records.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think Hillary was the happy medium in this situation. Trump exhorts his crowd to violence and throws them out whilst wishing he could punch their face.

Bernie steps aside and simply lets them take over - no one came there to see BLM - they came to see Bernie so I don't agree with that tactic either.

Hillary offers to meet with them after her speech.

I like it.
I agree. Clinton responded to the young woman with class, poise, and aplomb.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,951,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I know she did.

If that's true, hopefully it went a little better than the last time she met with members of the BLM movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eCraUvIq-s

Old 02-26-2016, 11:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I guess she's not as black as she pretends to be. Poor Hill.
She just needs to break out her accent and start talking black. I've heard they love that.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:41 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,951,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
She should have owned it and explained it, not pander. Those guys were superpredators, not victims. If she came out strongly to defend it I would have so much more respect for her. I disagree with the disparities in sentencing for crack and regular cocaine, and I have never liked three strikes laws, but those people had choices that could have kept them out of jail. Hillary Clinton didn't hold a gun to their heads and tell them to sell crack. They did that all on their own. Not only that, but glorified it and still do to this day.
Well, when the economy has been decimated in a community and masses of jobs disappeared, there are few options left. Besides, the only reason WHY selling drugs is such a lucrative career is BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL. And the only reason why minors have such easy access to said drugs is because the industry is unregulated. Study after study in High-Schools across the country show that illegal drugs are far easier to obtain than alcohol. I'm sure you can put two and two together. That certainly was the case when I was in school.

A massive unregulated drug industry is also the cause of most illegal drug overdoses. Substances are mixed/unknown. The same thing happened during alcohol prohibition, with it being made it someone's bathtub or basement and a spike in poisoning and death. It's despicable that so many are seemingly unwilling to learn from history. Today the UK actually prescribes heroin to certain patients-who, aside from the possibility of addiction, really do not see any adverse health issues. I found that fascinating when I watched the documentary on it.

The War on "drugs" is a lie, not dissimilar to the War on "terror". They are both only meant to grow and grow like a cancer until American civil rights are destroyed, as we have progressively seen. Why is it ok when the Government allows illegal drug cultivation and sales in order to fund "rebel groups" in foreign countries? Why is it ok when nationless banks launder drug cartel money? Why is it ok that legal and nationless drug corporations have caused an overdose epidemic worse than ALL illegal drug epidemics combined?

Legal drug overdose is now the #1 cause of accidental death in The United States, surpassing car accidents for the first time in history.

Fighting the War on "Drugs"-the longest and costliest war in US history- has had so many horrible effects for poor urban communities across the country. It is not fought in wealthy or even Middle Class white neighborhoods.

The only thing this horrible war has done is somewhat conceal the collapse of US manufacturing and AA economic stagnation/decline. It's great for unemployment numbers since the Millions of non-violent criminals incarcerated no longer count against employment numbers. It has destroyed families and stripped Millions of their civil rights, voting rights, etc. It really is "The New Jim Crow".

Don't even get me started on for-profit prisons-who lobby for more laws and longer sentencing, nationless corporations using American prison labor, the fact that the poor are often manipulated into accepting plea deals and taken advantage of in a system where justice is bought and paid for at a high cost.

I think you should also take a closer look at who it really is glorifying selling drugs. Many rappers have spoken out against the (VERY corrupt) Music Industry and how artists that do glorify it are pushed to the top and played on repeat on nationally syndicated and monopolized radio. Hip-Hop had VERY different origins, but it has been hi-jacked and not for benevolent purposes.

TPTB understood from the beginning the very real power of Hip-Hop. It allows for more words/messages than any other form of music. It could have been such a more positive force in the AA community, and many artists over the years have done an excellent job trying to make it be-but it's hard with monopolized radio. We are again seeing rappers being a positive force with their music since with the internet it is harder to control what music reaches the masses.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-27-2016 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 08:03 AM

988 posts, read 684,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree with that part of it.
You agree.

Great.

That was the confirmation I was waiting for, not the reams of facts that I posted proving disproportional arrest rates!

What you think.

Phew.

Glad that I know what you think! I was beginning to worry that the facts weren't enough.

Incredible that you try to spin a video, that everyone can look at for themselves and see is racist. At least try to spin a transcript or something, where nobody can verify it for themselves. Good God. I guess you missed the part where I posted that this was an attempt to smear Hillary. It just gets worse and worse the more you deny it, and the more she doesn't address it. The facts of what she said are not in dispute, not what it means, despite the hopes of her shills that it isn't settled.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:06 AM

988 posts, read 684,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well, when the economy has been decimated in a community and masses of jobs disappeared, there are few options left. Besides, the only reason WHY selling drugs is such a lucrative career is BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL. And the only reason why minors have such easy access to said drugs is because the industry is unregulated. Study after study in High-Schools across the country show that illegal drugs are far easier to obtain than alcohol. I'm sure you can put two and two together. That certainly was the case when I was in school.
Exactly.

Legalize it and get the criminal element out. Make it like cigarettes or alcohol. Tax it and use the money for rehab.

There were no Al Capones massacring people over illegal booze sales after prohibition ended.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:07 AM

273 posts, read 140,459 times
Quote:
Except that the facts support disproportionate arrest rates and sentencing by race, as I linked to in my last post.
Don't sell drugs, don't use illegal substances and don't hang out with people who do bad things....follow those 3 simple rules, it greatly reduces your chances of being in trouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections