Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:41 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,467,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Now you're resorting to just making stuff up, funding for abortions is prohibited, period. If you know of a clinic receiving funding report them.

Do you honestly think that a state like Texas would allow this, they investigate planned parenthood every day with surprise inspections and review of their records. If this were being done they would be in court today.

Here is the Hyde Amendment, maybe you can point to some specific examples of violations.

SEC. 301 <congress.gov>. (a) None of the funds appropriated in this Act, and none of the funds in any trust fund to which funds are appropriated in this Act, shall be expended for any abortion. (b) None of the funds appropriated in this Act, and none of the funds in any trust fund to which funds are appropriated in this Act, shall be expended for health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortion....

SEC. 302 <congress.gov> The limitations established in the preceding section shall not apply to an abortion— (1) if the pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or incest; or (2) in the case where a woman suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness, including a life endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself, that would, as certified by a physician, place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed.
The money Planned Parenthood receives from the taxpayers enables it to spend the money it receives from private donors on abortion.

Money is fungible.

The taxpayers should not have to spend money on ANY abortion provider, regardless of what else that abortion provider does.

And they especially shouldn't have to do that when the same non-abortion services can be obtained for free through Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 AM

57,398 posts, read 26,458,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The money Planned Parenthood receives from the taxpayers enables it to spend the money it receives from private donors on abortion.

Money is fungible.

The taxpayers should not have to spend money on ANY abortion provider, regardless of what else that abortion provider does.

And they especially shouldn't have to do that when the same non-abortion services can be obtained for free through Medicaid.
You can come up with all the accounting theories you want, they do not use federal funds for abortions, period. They cannot restrict Title X funding for a clinic that is associated with an organization that performs abortions.

By the way they are not the only clinic that performs abortion yet Kasich is only pulling PP funding, now why could that be. Anyway this will end up in the courts once again as they continue to try to defeat Roe V Wade. Giant waste of time and money addressing the symptom rather than the disease.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 AM

3,929 posts, read 1,857,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You can come up with all the accounting theories you want, they do not use federal funds for abortions, period. They cannot restrict Title X funding for a clinic that is associated with an organization that performs abortions.

By the way they are not the only clinic that performs abortion yet Kasich is only pulling PP funding, now why could that be. Anyway this will end up in the courts once again as they continue to try to defeat Roe V Wade. Giant waste of time and money addressing the symptom rather than the disease.

thank you for bringing clarity and truth to this post.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:49 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,302,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
House Bill known as 294 covered a lot of issues not just Planned Parenthood.

Sex Education classes
Healthy Mom, Healthy Babies
Violence Against Women Act (Domestic Violence)
HIV testing
Necessary health services as seen below at Planned Parenthood:

Ohio state law already prohibits state and local funds from being used for elective abortions, this bill primarily impacts other important health services, such as cancer screenings, contraception, and other essential prevention and treatment services for women and teenage girls.

This bill was to support those who are economically disadvantaged. It's not about your tax dollars paying twice. The Affordable Care Act does not cover everybody, not everyone can afford the high premiums going up each year.

I don't really see how signing this bill helped anyone. I only see the negative consequences for women it will cause.
ACA does cover it. Why I pay the fine because my money would fund someone's abortion. If their deductibles went through the roof it's not my problem. You voted for that crap sandwich. Enjoy it.

Before ACA, you had s valid argument bug not post ACA.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM

57,398 posts, read 26,458,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
ACA does cover it. Why I pay the fine because my money would fund someone's abortion. If their deductibles went through the roof it's not my problem. You voted for that crap sandwich. Enjoy it.

Before ACA, you had s valid argument bug not post ACA.
People near or below the federal poverty level are not covered by the ACA, already been stated that the ACA does not cover everyone.

Medicaid and Title X covers the services at these clinics for the most part.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,281,743 times
Quote:
The bill, sponsored by Democratic Rep. Bill Patmon of Cleveland and Republican Rep. Margaret Conditt of Butler County, forbids the state from contracting for health services with any entity that performs or promotes non-therapeutic abortions.
Funny how everyone ignores the bipartisan aspect of the bill.

Most of you seem to be confusing rights with benefits, which are not the same thing.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:57 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,458,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

Money is fungible.

I will use an off topic example to support what you say ... When you donate to United Way, you are permitted to state that you do not want any of your money to support a particular organization UW collects for. They will send you a letter stating that they will comply with your requirement. Here's the catch ... every organization UW collects for gets a specific cut of the proceeds. Your request to not fund a particular organization means zilch. UW will say that NONE of you money went there, but those missing funds were made up by others ... being defined as each organization gets its 'fair share' cut.

El Nox

Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 PM

20,175 posts, read 9,700,951 times
Kasich is my choice for POTUS because to me he is the least offensive of all the other POTUS candidates, Democrat or Republican.

However, that being said, I think any action that limits a woman's right to make her own choices regarding reproduction is WRONG.

And, furthermore, Kasich is the only current Republican POTUS candidate whom I would vote for because, from what I understand, the other Republican candidates, except for Trump (whom I detest for many reasons), are even more against a woman's right to choose than Kasich is (plus I also dislike their stands on many other issues, also).

Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM

3,929 posts, read 1,857,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Kasich is my choice for POTUS because to me he is the least offensive of all the other POTUS candidates, Democrat or Republican.

However, that being said, I think any action that limits a woman's right to make her own choices regarding reproduction is WRONG.

And, furthermore, Kasich is the only current Republican POTUS candidate whom I would vote for because, from what I understand, the other Republican candidates, except for Trump (whom I detest for many reasons), are even more against a woman's right to choose than Kasich is (plus I also dislike their stands on many other issues, also).
I agree with you 100% of all the republican candidates he would be the one I would consider, but still disapointed he signed the bill.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,019,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe it is a basic right for a person to control their own body. Therefore I support a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy if she so chooses. Planned parent helps these women control their own lives and provides a range of additional medical and similar services. I support the government funding of Planned parenthood as it does much more good than harm.

I am glad Kasich signed this bill. It removes any doubt that he would be a desirable President for all of us not just the bible toting thugs that would tell half the population what they have to do with their own bodies.

When will the Republican party start controlling the monopolists, speculators and thieves that are ripping off the rest of us instead of concentrating on controlling women.
I could not have said any of this better.

I had hopes for Kasich, this bill confirms my suspicions. I'm glad he did. Now I know not to waste my time with him he's no different than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections