Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,599,967 times

Advertisements

Salon is a far-left propaganda rag from San Francisco
which obviously about 10 people bother reading becase
their stock is only worth 14 cents.
SLNM Salon Media Group, Inc.: Summary, Stock Quote & Trades for Salon Media Group, Inc. - OTCMarkets.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,560,147 times
Well there you have it.

Salon, that one remaining beacon of unbiased reason and truth has spoken, so it must be true.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,342,738 times
I don't care who the media outlet usually caters to, Im conservative and I found that article to be spot on.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Sadly, we can see the hatred toward Trump as he puts himself out there for the good of our country. It wouldn't hurt at all in this case for those that pray to add a little prayer to keep Trump safe from his enemies since he is risking a lot by staying in this race and it is for us. I have never seen such hatred for a candidate before but I have never seen a candidate stand up for the people before.
Oh yes, Trump is being treated soooo unfairly because actually analyzing his proposals and his statements is unreasonable to subject someone who wants to be President of the United States. I guess the fact checkers have been unfair too, who said In the 12 years of FactCheck.org’s existence, we’ve never seen his match. He stands out not only for the sheer number of his factually false claims, but also for his brazen refusals to admit error when proven wrong.

Sorry for not having the blind devotion that you have.

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." -- Harry S Truman

Old 02-29-2016, 12:25 PM

21,161 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Compare ratings of Apprentice to Frontline or American Experience and that should explain why the American voter is more concerned with celebrity than policy.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,560,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
I don't care who the media outlet usually caters to, Im conservative and I found that article to be spot on.
Gee, the guy who starts half a dozen anti Trump posts a day found that anti Trump article to be spot on.

Well, I was just being sarcastic before but NOW, I'm really sold.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Where? How about the First Amendment -- Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of religion.
You do know the Constitution applies to citizens right? That little bit you mentioned applies to US citizens and our freedom of religion and freedom from persecution as citizens. We're talking immigrants here, actually immigrants to be, not even immigrants who are already here. Freedom of religion does not apply to them, at the least until they are physically here. We actually do NOT have to let ANYONE in EVER. We do because we are nice. We are VERY nice and lenient with our immigrant policies and how welcoming and open arms we are. But we can be as selective as we want. Problem is we aren't because it's not PC to do what Trump suggests. He's not saying "no Muslims ever" he's saying "no Muslims unless we know for sure they're not terrorists." I don't know about you, but I don't want to welcome in terrorists blindly with open arms just so they can get here and plan or do something and kill or hurt Americans. No thanks.

This is MY country, NOT theirs. They have no right to it until they, too, become a citizen. I as a citizen, whose family has been here for generations, have a right to be safe and feel safe here. "They," by the way, as in "anyone who is not a citizen." People forget I think that no one actually is entitled to come here. Anyone who is let in, or comes illegally and gets to stay, is lucky. But it is NOT an entitlement. We can say no to whoever the hell we want. We can set quotas for the number of people we allow in per year. We can do a lot to curb immigration if we really wanted to. But an immigrant to be/wannabe immigrant to America does not have more rights in my country than I do.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 02-29-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 12:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
My God, that article is so accurate...........we are stupid, and it isn't just we Americans, it is the entire human race. We've seen it time and time again, humans doing things that defy logic. Hell, we can't even get along with one another in a civilized manner ! Think of all the problems and illnesses we could cure if we weren't so hellbent on bombing the s**t out of each other !

This Donald Trump popularity situation just points it out so vividly. The man offers no depth to his plans, just that " I am going to do it !" Yet, people love him because he "Tells it like it is !"

I'm not going to exclude myself from how I feel about the human race, I do some very dumb things too, we ALL DO. But we are talking here about Trumps rise to where he is in the polls, and, frankly, I am dumbfounded to see that he is still there and doing so well.

Maybe the best thing that could happen to us all is for him to actually win this damn election so that we get what we deserve. Possibly that will show us how stupid and classless we have become as a society. It might just be the wake up call we need.........but somehow, I doubt it would change anything. We are our own worst enemy. I bet Saturday Night Live is chomping at the bit and hoping to God that Trump wins..........they would have an unlimited source of humor for the next 4 years, and that is something, at least.

Don

Old 02-29-2016, 12:42 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You do know the Constitution applies to citizens right? That little bit you mentioned applies to US citizens and our freedom of religion and freedom from persecution as citizens. We're talking immigrants here, actually immigrants to be, not even immigrants who are already here. Freedom of religion does not apply to them, at the least until they are physically here. We actually do NOT have to let ANYONE in EVER. We do because we are nice. We are VERY nice and lenient with our immigrant policies and how welcoming and open arms we are. But we can be as selective as we want. Problem is we aren't because it's not PC to do what Trump suggests. He's not saying "no Muslims ever" he's saying "no Muslims unless we know for sure they're not terrorists." I don't know about you, but I don't want to welcome in terrorists blindly with open arms just so they can get here and plan or do something and kill or hurt Americans. No thanks.

This is MY county, NOT theirs. They have no right to it until they, too, become a citizen. I as a citizen, whose family has been here for generations, have a right to be safe and feel safe here. "They," by the way, as in "anyone who is not a citizen." People forget I think that no one actually is entitled to come here. Anyone who is let in, or comes illegally and gets to stay, is lucky. But it is NOT an entitlement. We can say no to whoever the hell we want. We can set quotas for the number of people we allow in per year. We can do a lot to curb immigration if we really wanted to.
As a matter of law, anyone who thinks that the Constitution applies ONLY to citizens is wrong. Example: Soviet spies have been arrested in the U.S. who were not citizens. They are afforded all of the rights of the 4th and 5th Amendments, as well as the 14th Amendment.

When the First Amendment reads, "Congress shall make no law..." It isn't saying, "Congress shall make no law except for those who aren't citizens..." That claim is just an inane, false, discredited proposition that no responsible person would ever make.

Now, the highbrow stuff:

The 14th Amendment, declares “nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

Moreover, under the Boumediene ruling (Boumediene v. Bushheld), the U.S. Supreme Court, in 2008, issued a highly publicized ruling that it was unconstitutional for the Military Commissions Act to deny habeas corpus rights to Guantanamo detainees, none of whom was an American citizen (indeed, the detainees were all foreign nationals outside of the U.S.). If the Constitution applied only to U.S. citizens, that decision would obviously be impossible. What’s more, although the decision was 5-4, none of the 9 Justices, and, indeed, not even the Bush administration, argued that the Constitution applies only to American citizens.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:57 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,115,714 times
Electing Obama and then RE-ELECTING him proved our nations stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections