Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,790,081 times

Advertisements

Since neither party supports trump, he may be the one thing that gets them working together again. They would have to cooperate to pass veto proof law and obstruct his platform.
I'm intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,248,506 times
The only thing that benefits the taxpayer in Washington IS gridlock--whenever anything happens there, it will either cost you money or freedom, or both.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,794,931 times
Isn't it better to have gridlock so they don't pass any bill wildly nilly.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Since neither party supports trump, he may be the one thing that gets them working together again. They would have to cooperate to pass veto proof law and obstruct his platform.
I'm intrigued.
Trump is a good organizer and a shrewd business leader. I would expect him to act like a CEO and get rid of many offices and agencies that are totally useless or redundant (or both).

Old 02-29-2016, 02:42 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,786,851 times
For some reason during the Obama presidency people thought he should get everything he wanted. Now people argue gridlock is good.

Finally people are getting it. The system was set up for both parties to debate.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:46 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,711,176 times
Since a trump win would probably fracture the republican party beyond repair, there would be no single group that would be likely to cooperate to get things done. gridlock would get even worse - although I can't see how much worse it could actually get than it is now.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:28 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,790,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Trump is a good organizer and a shrewd business leader. I would expect him to act like a CEO and get rid of many offices and agencies that are totally useless or redundant (or both).
But a CEO doesn't have to be a leader, he can just say what he wants and people have to do it or they are fired. Fortunately we elect people who will work with the president and they, as has been well demonstrated, do not have to work with him/her as subordinates.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,137,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I'm intrigued.
In my opinion, where you are mistaken is thinking that lawmakers actually care about legislating. No, the only thing they care about is getting reelected. If you cooperate with moderates in your own party, or the other party, then that will be used against you to kick your butt in the primary. Hence, there is absolutely no incentive to cooperate, compromise and pass laws . . . . until the annual must-pass legislation on debt ceiling and government shutdown, where the saner minds prevail. That's all they do.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections