Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Donald trump destroy the Republican Party?
Yes 69 42.33%
No 94 57.67%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM

7,706 posts, read 5,596,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
By putting up his own money to be president....
Money buys power. Power in turn buys people and provides opportunities to make money.

In Trump's case I read somewhere that most of the money he has contributed to his campaign is in the form of a loan to be paid back. So he's not risking much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM

12,685 posts, read 6,776,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
No, Trump is not nearly so powerful or game-changing as all that. On the issues, he's smack dab in the middle of the Republican Party. He's not too conservative and he's not too moderate. He's the GOP "just right" as Goldylocks would put it.

What does Trump actually stand for that would be an earth-shattering change in GOP policy or beliefs? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for both of the big two parties dying and letting newer fresher ideas come in and clear the air. Nothing that Trump stands for would change the overall message of the GOP. The most dangerous thing about Trump is his big mouth -- and that alone isn't going to destroy the party. The worst that's going to happen to the GOP is that it's going to be forced to reinvent itself a bit.

I think Newt Gingrich hit the nail right on the head. The biggest thing the GOP establishment has against Trump is that he's not an official member of their little club. I think we're about to see what 2012 would have looked like if Newt had won the nomination and not Romney.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:25 AM

7,584 posts, read 5,368,685 times
I voted no, there are 54 Republicans in the Senate, 247 in the House, 31 Republican governors, Trump gaining the nomination isn't going to change any of that (or the representation in state legislatures). Even if the Republicans lose the presidential election and control of the Senate there will remain a Republican Party. Now if the question is what would happen if Trump loses the nomination… then all bets are off.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,545,123 times
No, because Trump is easily written off as a RINO, he doesn't embrace the core platform of the republican party. The GOP had already begun to implode from the Tea Party splitting it up. They have lost their identity, if they are to survive, they need to embrace their positions and listen to their constituents and the voices of independents. They need leadership to do that, they have to vet members who identify with their core values and reject the ones who belong elsewhere.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM

12,309 posts, read 9,795,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If he's not the nominee, the Party will be destroyed.
Precisely.

Trump is/was their only hope for survival, but they've burned the bridge he offers 100 times over. I say is/was because I'd like nothing more than to see Trump kick them to the curb, letting them drown in their own sociopathic stupidity and arrogance. He may well do even better in an election as an Independent than he would while encumbered and, frankly, tainted with an "R".

Old 03-04-2016, 12:31 PM

29,023 posts, read 30,466,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
I agree that it's no longer about Trump, but about beating the establishment. This is why Cruz is also in a closer 2nd than he was before.
I doubt Trump will keep his promises. There will be no wall built. Building a wall will not stop trafficking of drugs. It will also greatly sour our relationship with our southern neighbors. Even if he wanted to build a wall, how will he get Mexico to pay for it?
Congress will block Trump on anything like this that he tries to pass. Even if he vetoes it, they will find a way to change his bill or block it anyway.
I predict that unfortunately, it will be "business as usual" in Washington with little change.
I hope like anything you are wrong.....
but who knows?

Old 03-19-2016, 04:30 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,690,560 times
I guess this is the equivalent of fighting a metastasized cancer with radiation therapy. Sure you might have a lot of collateral damage but you might just survive in the long run:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/20...can-party.html

Republican leaders adamantly opposed to Donald J. Trump’s candidacy are preparing a 100-day campaign to deny him the presidential nomination, starting with an aggressive battle in Wisconsin’s April 5 primary and extending into the summer, with a delegate-by-delegate lobbying effort that would cast Mr. Trump as a calamitous choice for the general election.

Regardless of what the voters think the actual people in charge of the Republican party are pushing forward with the nuclear option. Hello madam president.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 03-19-2016 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 05:48 PM

12,309 posts, read 9,795,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I guess this is the equivalent of fighting a metastasized cancer with radiation therapy. Sure you might have a lot of collateral damage but you might just survive in the long run:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/20...can-party.html

Republican leaders adamantly opposed to Donald J. Trump’s candidacy are preparing a 100-day campaign to deny him the presidential nomination, starting with an aggressive battle in Wisconsin’s April 5 primary and extending into the summer, with a delegate-by-delegate lobbying effort that would cast Mr. Trump as a calamitous choice for the general election.

Regardless of what the voters think the actual people in charge of the Republican party are pushing forward with the nuclear option. Hello madam president.
Not a chance. The GOP has nobody without Trump - no candidate and no voters that could seriously compete nationally.

Trump could easily beat Hillary running as an Independent.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:53 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,690,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not a chance. The GOP has nobody without Trump - no candidate and no voters that could seriously compete nationally.

Trump could easily beat Hillary running as an Independent.
Ha! Easily? So let's see. You think that in a three way race between the Republican presidential nominee, Trump and Clinton that Trump will win? That's some funny math there bud.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,653,442 times
I think at this point he already has. Over the past 50 years or so the Republican party as assimilated a sizable population of angry idealogues who think they are always right, want everything their way and are not interested in compromise or even understanding the viewpoints and motivations of anyone who doesn't agree with them 100%. Now there are enough of those types that the lunatics have revolted and are running the asylum.

Personally I think letting Trump anywhere near control over the military and nukes is absolutely insane. What gets me is the number of those types on this board who are always accusing liberals and moderates of viewing Obama as their Messiah and are now fawning over Trump like he's the second coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections