Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Donald trump destroy the Republican Party?
Yes 69 42.33%
No 94 57.67%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:14 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,661,544 times

Advertisements

The Republican Party won't be destroyed, but it's going to be reshaped in a profound way. The teajadists are going to continue to be a jacobian menace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 12:17 PM

952 posts, read 519,767 times
You need a "if this is the state of it, who cares" button.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,308,356 times
Wouldn't it be nice to have a viable third party?

You can take moderate republicans and moderate democrats and find a middle ground and let the Teajadists (God I love that) have their own Caliphate and the Uber Lefties can have their commune, and maybe we'll actually get something done in a positive way for this country.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:23 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,300,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Nope, because when it comes down to Trump vs Clinton/Sanders the majority of Republicans will get behind Trump, even if they hate him. Maybe some will stay home, but I don't see Trump destroying the GOP in any way. Some diehard conservatives might leave, but they will still have to support local/state GOP candidates if they want any influence. If Trump has any brains he will attempt to unify the party to follow him, instead of upset various GOP factions. So far he is pushing a good amount of Republicans away from him, but when it comes to the general election I guarantee he will be working to get them back. So no, he's not going to destroy the party and most Republicans will support him.
Why would he do that when he hasn't done that already? More than likely it will be the opposite reality. They will try to work with him in order to unify the party. I don't see him bending to them when he entire campaign has been built on doing the opposite.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,677,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have a viable third party?

You can take moderate republicans and moderate democrats and find a middle ground and let the Teajadists (God I love that) have their own Caliphate and the Uber Lefties can have their commune, and maybe we'll actually get something done in a positive way for this country.
I think that's a false equivalency. For all the issues the Democratic Party has there is nothing remotely similar to the magnitude of issues that the Republican party currently faces.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I think that's a false equivalency. For all the issues the Democratic Party has there is nothing remotely similar to the issues that the Republican party currently faces.
I agree. I didn't say they were equivalent, I said it would be nice to have a true centrist party. Fiscally conservative, and socially, if not liberal, I'd go for tolerant/agnostic.

I would love a Government that cared about governing and running Government, not what women do with their bodies, or who sleeps with who.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:27 PM

5,307 posts, read 6,199,136 times
Quote:
It's a false equivalency to compare what's going on in the Republican Party to the Democrats. The Democratic establishment is not freaking out nearly as much about Bernie Sanders as The Republican establishment is freaking out about Donald Trump. The Republican party planted the seed of their own demise many years ago and now it's grown into a monster they cannot control.
In his last month in office, Bill Clinton signed the PTNR (permanent normal trade relations) bill with China enabling them to run massive trade surplusses with the US. This was a rank betrayal of the American worker both blue collar and white collar. Now Obama and the Congress are about to push through the TPP, another disaster for the American worker and the USA as a whole.

Again, both parties do the bidding of special interests and then pay lip service to the concerns of their constituents come election time. That's why Trump is so popular. The people are fed up with the duopoly.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
In his last month in office, Bill Clinton signed the PTNR (permanent normal trade relations) bill with China enabling them to run massive trade surplusses with the US. This was a rank betrayal of the American worker both blue collar and white collar. Now Obama and the Congress are about to push through the TPP, another disaster for the American worker and the USA as a whole.

Again, both parties do the bidding of special interests and then pay lip service to the concerns of their constituents come election time. That's why Trump is so popular. The people are fed up with the duopoly.
Don't forget Bush I with NAFTA.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:29 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,687,580 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
Is this a mistake or the design ? I see two different questions ? The entity destroying the party is different.
In one Trump gets the credit and
in the other the voters who would make him the nominee.

Will Donald trump destroy the Republican Party ?

Will the Republican Party be destroyed if Donald Trump is the nominee?

The people have a right to choose, the media doesn't.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Don't forget Bush I with NAFTA.
Bill Clinton signed NAFTA, not Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections