Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Donald trump destroy the Republican Party?
Yes 69 42.33%
No 94 57.67%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 01:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times

Advertisements

I don't think the party will be 'destroyed' per se but I do believe there will be some serious infighting that will likely result in the #NeverTrump movement backing a 3rd party candidate. These people are not going to just hold their nose and vote for an authoritarian bigot who doesent even come close to endorsing conservative viewpoints. There's also alot of social conservatives who are unhappy that he won't push for a ban on abortion, banning gay marriage, etc. In the end Trump will lose due to a combination of his own bigotry and because half the party went for a 3rd party candidate/stayed home/held their nose and voted for Hillary, the GOP will reform, make some changes to adapt to the 21st century, and they will put up a winning candidate in 2020 who will beat Hillary.

BTW: Paul Ryan is more along the lines of a Jack Kemp style Republican, he has a genuine interest in actually helping minority communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't think the party will be 'destroyed' per se but I do believe there will be some serious infighting that will likely result in the #NeverTrump movement backing a 3rd party candidate. These people are not going to just hold their nose and vote for an authoritarian bigot who doesent even come close to endorsing conservative viewpoints. There's also alot of social conservatives who are unhappy that he won't push for a ban on abortion, banning gay marriage, etc. In the end Trump will lose due to a combination of his own bigotry and because half the party went for a 3rd party candidate/stayed home/held their nose and voted for Hillary, the GOP will reform, make some changes to adapt to the 21st century, and they will put up a winning candidate in 2020 who will beat Hillary.

BTW: Paul Ryan is more along the lines of a Jack Kemp style Republican, he has a genuine interest in actually helping minority communities.
If Trump can rid the Republican party of these types he will have done a service to the nation.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:04 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
At this point, I no longer care. The people we have elected have turned out to be complete liars and a GIANT waste of time. They all campaigned stating that they would do all kinds of things, and very, very few have actually done what they said they would do, or even TRIED to do what they said that they would do. The rest are just as bad as any political hack. With the exception of an extreme few, the hell with the rest of them.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:06 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,675,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Well I would definitely agree that if Trump is the nominee you will see a third-party candidate tacitly or maybe not so tacitly being supported by many Republicans. Either way, when the hell has that ever happened?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:10 PM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
You forget, we are living in the present, not in the past. The Republican Party will have a kick in the pants to start evolving with the rest of the world if Trump is the nominee. Isn't it about time.

I don't think you really understand the real time issues and are basing things on something from textbooks. We, as Americans, have the same basic needs. We are watching our country slide into 3rd world status and have become the doormat of the world. Labels do not matter anymore. What matters is acknowledging the issues, which only Trump is doing, and introducing possible solutions which Trump is doing.

I have lived all over the country to include 3 southern states and, frankly, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Trump is bringing Americans from all demographics together with a common goal, we want to save the country.

Trump shines when it comes to job creation. He has the issues broken into building blocks that will work together to Make America Great Again.

Let's stop using labels and all get on board with saving our country!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You forget, we are living in the present, not in the past. The Republican Party will have a kick in the pants to start evolving with the rest of the world if Trump is the nominee. Isn't it about time.

I don't think you really understand the real time issues and are basing things on something from textbooks. We, as Americans, have the same basic needs. We are watching our country slide into 3rd world status and have become the doormat of the world. Labels do not matter anymore. What matters is acknowledging the issues, which only Trump is doing, and introducing possible solutions which Trump is doing.

I have lived all over the country to include 3 southern states and, frankly, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Trump is bringing Americans from all demographics together with a common goal, we want to save the country.

Trump shines when it comes to job creation. He has the issues broken into building blocks that will work together to Make America Great Again.

Let's stop using labels and all get on board with saving our country!
Oh you mean like when he hired Polish illegal immigrants to build Trump Tower? Yeah, such job creation alright

Old 03-01-2016, 01:12 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,543 times
Will the Democratic Party be destroyed if Hillary is their nominee?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
At this point, I no longer care. The people we have elected have turned out to be complete liars and a GIANT waste of time. They all campaigned stating that they would do all kinds of things, and very, very few have actually done what they said they would do, or even TRIED to do what they said that they would do. The rest are just as bad as any political hack. With the exception of an extreme few, the hell with the rest of them.
That's because many Republican voters elect Republicans that can never possibly bring the changes that they campaign on in our constitutional democracy. And I'm sure many of these politicians know this but it helps them to get elected. Now the Republican electrate feels it's been duped for so long by its own elected leaders that it is about to nominate someone that is the equivalent of the nuclear option.
Attached Thumbnails
Will the Republican Party be destroyed if Donald Trump is the nominee?-image.jpeg  

Old 03-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Will the Democratic Party be destroyed if Hillary is their nominee?
Start another thread and ask. I would say no way Jose.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,904,471 times
Quote:
Trump unify a party he cares nothing about?? Good luck with that.
He doesn't care about the party, but they do have a common goal in defeating Hillary in the general election. That is why most of the influential Republicans across the country have been endorsing Trump in recent weeks, so the GOP doesn't look divided over Trump. When Rubio and Cruz finally bow out, I bet they both endorse Trump, or keep their mouths shut. I don't see any serious third party conservative candidate running against Trump. Conservatives will either stay home on election day, or vote for Trump as the lesser evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections