Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,232,030 times

Advertisements

So my family is republican and they wanted me to go along with them to a caucus in Colorado.

This has to be the stupidest process to elect candidates ever. Essentially, what I gathered, is that at that caucus we vote for delegates who vote for delegates who then get to vote for the state positions (our district had all unopposed candidates) and then somehow national delegates get voted on (no one even knew how that happened) vote for president in June when the race is already decided and their vote won't matter.

To do this you had to have like $60 to be a basic delegate and a day to waste, and then if you wanted to be a national one, you had to fly out to Cleveland.

So basically, you get no choice in who goes up on the ballot. No wonder we get Trump and Clinton for candidates with such a rigged system. Then your vote for the idiots that show up on the ballot doesn't even matter due to the electoral college and single member districts, but that's another discussion. Basically the only thing worth while in an election is the state and local amendments on the ballot and the governor.

Oh, and I was like 1 of 4 people I saw out of the hundreds in the building under 40, if that says anything about the republican party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,369,322 times
Tons of young people at my Democratic caucus. I knew it was going to be a problem when I got there before 6:30 and saw people turning around because the parking lot was full and we had to park on the street. We had over 100 people in my precinct.

But yeah, it's a bizarre process. And it leaves many people disenfranchised if they work or have other obligations or young kids or a whole bunch of reasons why they didn't have 2.5 hours on a Tuesday night to spend doing this.

It's an interesting process too, we had some spirited discussion and Hillary had a strong win in my precinct despite not winning the state.

But I hope we end up switching to a primary - not because I wouldn't want to caucus again, but because too many people get left out of the process.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:31 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,589,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
But I hope we end up switching to a primary - not because I wouldn't want to caucus again, but because too many people get left out of the process.
Even though my candidates prevailed in every caucus I participated in here in Texas, I never want to go through one again and I am soooo happy we did we away with them. Yay Primary!

Old 03-02-2016, 08:18 AM

3,143 posts, read 5,108,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's an interesting process too, we had some spirited discussion and Hillary had a strong win in my precinct despite not winning the state.

The CO caucus process was ridiculous. If there had been a primary I would have put in my vote for Hillary. We never got a notice of where to go and when I went on-line to look it didn't pull anything up for my area. The whole process makes you think that they don't really want to know what people want. They just want to do what they want to do.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:49 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,807,150 times
It was a unique experience, that's for sure.

Big lines, big turnout in my area, finding parking was crazy.
It was great seeing such a cross-section from the area though - each demo was well-represented, from what looked to be first-time voters to those of us in the more mature age groups and everything in between.

According to an announcement made at the beginning of the session, squishing everyone into a central location was new this year as previously people met in private homes or their home schools (?).

My precinct got to do the much-maligned coin toss to decide how to assign our "odd" delegate as our vote for the two candidates was dead even.

I understand the need to assign the delegates and all, but in the larger scheme of things, to have what is proportionately such a small group decide such matters seems really antiquated.

Oh, well. at least now I can say that I've caucused.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,369,322 times
I was just talking to a co-worker about this. They met in private houses in non-presidential years, which makes sense. When I caucused in 2008, we had the central location thing, but I don't remember it being this crowded and crazy.

I will definitely support a movement to switch to a primary.

Who really wants a caucus in Colorado? Why not have a primary? | The Colorado Independent

https://letcoloradovote.com/

Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,670,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
So my family is republican and they wanted me to go along with them to a caucus in Colorado.

This has to be the stupidest process to elect candidates ever. Essentially, what I gathered, is that at that caucus we vote for delegates who vote for delegates who then get to vote for the state positions (our district had all unopposed candidates) and then somehow national delegates get voted on (no one even knew how that happened) vote for president in June when the race is already decided and their vote won't matter.

To do this you had to have like $60 to be a basic delegate and a day to waste, and then if you wanted to be a national one, you had to fly out to Cleveland.

So basically, you get no choice in who goes up on the ballot. No wonder we get Trump and Clinton for candidates with such a rigged system. Then your vote for the idiots that show up on the ballot doesn't even matter due to the electoral college and single member districts, but that's another discussion. Basically the only thing worth while in an election is the state and local amendments on the ballot and the governor.

Oh, and I was like 1 of 4 people I saw out of the hundreds in the building under 40, if that says anything about the republican party.
So, contact the GOP office in Colorado and tell them what for!

Keep us informed.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 AM

23,855 posts, read 13,864,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
The CO caucus process was ridiculous. If there had been a primary I would have put in my vote for Hillary. We never got a notice of where to go and when I went on-line to look it didn't pull anything up for my area. The whole process makes you think that they don't really want to know what people want. They just want to do what they want to do.
I just received my third notice from the Ds, reminding me of the time and date (later this month), how to find out which location I should attend, and what to do if I need help to get there.

I also prefer a primary. But I do like the face-to-face interaction of a caucus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections