Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If Trump ends up with a majority of the delegates (1237 or not), the GOP has to nominate him unless they prefer Hillary (which wouldn't surprise me). No, Trump supporters will not fall in line behind some hand picked establishment goon. I for one would not vote if Trump is denied the nomination. The general election will be very close. Take away the many millions of disgruntled Trump supporters and what do you have? Hillary as president!
The Trump supporters will never fall in line, but their delegates could, and very possibly would if someone other than Trump would be a better bet on winning the White House.

Remember that delegates are not always voted into their positions. Most delegates are appointed by their state's GOP Central Committee, and most appointees are members in some way in the GOP establishment at some level- local, county or state.

Sure, there would be lots of disgruntlement. Fist fights have broken out in past conventions over this. But it can happen, and it has happened in the past, several times. Fighting doesn't change the outcome. If it did, the 1968 Democratic convention riots in Chicago would never have happened.

In fact, conventions have gone far past just this, all the way to deadlock, and have only emerged out of deadlock by drafting a person who never ran for the office at all.
We elected such a President once, over 100 years ago. It's just been a long time since any of this has happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:08 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Trump's percentage of the vote here is almost certainly lower than Romney's, who took the state as a whole by a much larger margin four years ago (46.9%).
Romney did not have the GOP establishment actively trying to sabotage his campaign. Despite that, Trump got 113K (26%) more people to vote for him than Romney in Illinois. Where did those extra voters come from?

Well.... Interestingly as comparison, Hillary did far worse in this state compared to Obama in 08. Hillary got just 50% of the vote compared to 65% for Obama in '08.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:27 AM

23,728 posts, read 12,594,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Where does it say they were paid? Also, George Soros is a huge Hillary Clinton supporter. Why would he fund move on when they endorsed Sanders? Nice conspiracy theory but it doesn't fit. You shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet lol
If you don't understand then that's not my problem. You think things don't 'fit' or are a 'conspiracy theory' because you don't care about the truth - you've proven that often enough.

He not only bought Hillary, he's also bought Kasich, which is odd since he normally buys Dems. You can deny all you want but he is a moveon backer. Since you're obviously clueless about Soros then maybe you should do some research on him. Or, maybe you know all about him and he's a hero to you.

No I don't believe everything I read on the internet, especially when it's coming from you, but you sure seem to fall for the lies that are told about Trump. You are a fanatic about twisting anything and everything in the, oh so many, threads that you create about him or in your posts in others threads. You bang the hate drum multiple times about the same thing, over and over and over, and you continue even when you're proven wrong.

How many threads have you created about how wonderful your candidate is? How many posts have you made in threads about your candidate to talk about how great that candidate is? I'm sure that number is zero. Tell us - what is so great about your candidate.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 AM

15,650 posts, read 10,405,925 times
If Trump has the most delegates at the end of the day and is named the Republican nominee he will not destroy the Republican party. The primary voters will have spoken.

If the elite, establishment Republicans find a way to take the nomination away from Trump after he has won the most delegates, THAT theft would destroy the Republican party. No doubt in my mind.

No matter who wins the presidency, we have a broken country because there is such outright hatred between political factions.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 AM

1,185 posts, read 805,430 times
Most of Trump's supporters will not go to anyone else, they will probably revolt and not vote and in this case Welcome President Hillary.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Let's say that Trump does not get the numbers he needs to secure the nomination and the decision on who will run against Hillary is left to a brokered convention. The establishment does not want Trump or Cruz. I have heard that Mittens Romney might run and now Ron Paul! Crazy.

SO if the GOP big wigs steal the nomination from the popular peoples man Trump what is going to happen? Trump as controversial as he is has brought countless people to politics and has even converted Dems to Reps. He has motivated many people like no one has before.

SO if the GOP takes away the peoples majority choice and sticks in some typical guy how many of the people that are mad supporters and only came to politics because is Trump will actually stay home on election day ensuring Hillary a win?

Will Trump run third party? Yes, almost certainly.
Will the people get behind whomever the GOP tells them to in an effort to keep Hillary out of the WH? No they won't.
Will the disillusioned people stay home on election day? Some will, some won't.
Will it be the end of the Republican party? Yes, chances of the party surviving would be very slim.

I know that if it comes down to a brokered convention and if Trump is still ahead in the polls and has a higher delegate count than his competitors and does not receive the nomination then this independent voter will be very disappointed in the system.

Your thoughts?
In the incredibly unlikely event that Trump gets screwed by the GOP after winning more delegates than anyone else, the most significant thing we'll see is the GOP will implode and die much like the Whigs did in the 1800's. You have Democrats crossing over to vote in the Republican primaries in huge numbers, all because their priority is stopping Trump. That combined with the GOP throwing millions and millions of dollars at trying to derail Trump, no effort has been spared trying to stop Donald Trump. It hasn't really worked though.

If the GOP ran Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, John Kasich or anyone who did not win a large number of states in the GOP primaries, you can expect that person to lose in spectacular fashion in the general election. The map will look like Ronald Reagan vs Walter Mondale, but with the colors reversed.

If Trump runs as an Independent -- which he most likely would, it would still be a Trump vs Clinton race with whatever sad ******* the GOP threw in there probably playing spoiler to guarantee Clinton wins. I expect the numbers in that scenario would be 45% Clinton, 40% Trump, 10% ******* and 5% going to third parties.

The GOP knows that screwing Trump at the convention would be party suicide. They know it's a terrible idea. That is why it just isn't going to happen. Talk of a brokered convention is just sophisticated psycho-babble whining by those who don't want Trump. The Republican Party knows better. Unless Ted Cruz pulls off the biggest comeback in the history of the primaries and beats Trump outright, Trump will be the GOP candidate, I promise you.

I won't vote for Hillary or Donald. I just won't. Thankfully, I have a good alternative choice. Americans need more options on election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections