Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,723,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I watched the video in question. I can't say Mr. Trump was in any way issuing a veiled threat. He was saying that his supporters would riot if that scenario were to happen. I agree there. I can't condemn him for that.

However, he certainly could have made clear (perhaps after the fact) that he does not condone a riot and rather condemns and discourages it.

Mick
I got the message as similar to when he said "I wouldn't call Megyn Kelly a bimbo..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:43 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,723,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Trump would buy windows made in America but they don't made them here anymore.China makes them.

The factories here hire all illegals.so get real. We don't have factories here . The garment district is gone.
You are incorrect.

Google is your friend... there are lots of window manufacturers and garment manufacturers in the US. We've been through this before, and provided links, so I'm not doing it again just for you.

Factories don't really hire many illegals. The larger a company, the more likely it is to follow the employment verification process and stay legal. It is the little places, farmers, and those who can afford things like cleaning ladies and lawn services that hire a lot of illegals. They tend to pay in cash, and not claim the employees because they don't care, or don't want to pay the employment taxes.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,618,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I think we’ll win before getting to the convention, but I can tell you, if we didn’t and if we’re 20 votes short or if we’re a hundred short and we’re at 1,100 and somebody else is at 500 or 400, [because] we’re way ahead of everybody, I don’t think you can say that we don’t get it automatically,” Mr. Trump said on CNN’s “New Day.” “I think it would be — I think you’d have riots. I think you’d have riots.

Donald Trump warns of 'riots,' 'bad things' if denied nomination at convention - Washington Times

Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles

Would the "rioters" be wearing brown shirts, or sheets? Inquiring people want to know.

Not a word from Trumy discouraging riots? Wouldn't that the responsible thing to do as a leader? Just like his rallies - he's promoting violence, isn't he?

Old 03-17-2016, 03:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,618,225 times
.....kind of like yelling fire in a crowded theater....Trumy has a way to bring out the worst instead of the best in people, doesn't he?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,920,876 times
Riots?

My body is ready.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,974,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
.....kind of like yelling fire in a crowded theater....Trumy has a way to bring out the worst instead of the best in people, doesn't he?
I went to his rally a week ago here in Tampa.

Let's just say it was an education. Most of the crowd fit in well with Sarah Palin and her perspectives, with a similar intellect.

Flippin' scary.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 PM

8,326 posts, read 3,978,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I went to his rally a week ago here in Tampa.

Let's just say it was an education. Most of the crowd fit in well with Sarah Palin and her perspectives, with a similar intellect.

Flippin' scary.

You should be scared. Because your future and your freedoms are at stake. This is the real weakness of a democracy, as the world saw with the rise to power of Hitler and Mussolini. They were very effective at using the democratic process to gain the seat of power, then burning the bridges behind them by tearing apart the protections.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,974,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You should be scared. Because your future and your freedoms are at stake. This is the real weakness of a democracy, as the world saw with the rise to power of Hitler and Mussolini. They were very effective at using the democratic process to gain the seat of power, then burning the bridges behind them by tearing apart the protections.
Would Trump attempt something like that? Maybe.

Could he? Not a chance in hell. He'd have to get both Congress and SCOTUS on side, which would never happen. Not to forget, the military is actually professional, and have oaths they care about.

If he ever got elected, he becomes as much of a failed president as Obama and Carter were. Neither of them could work with Congress. Heck, Clinton the first even worked with Gingrich, and Dubya with a Democratic congress.

I don't think he has a hope in hell of the general population voting for him. I live in a very Republican part of the Tampa Bay area, and my neighbors can't believe what is happening to their party. They are talking staying home and not voting, or holding their nose and voting for Hillary, with the thought that it could be corrected 4 years down the road.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,926,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I share an alma mater with The Donald, and I'm thinking I may need to suggest they rescind his degree, since he apparently graduated without understanding what a majority is.

Someone doesn't understand that who gets a majority of electoral votes isn't what determines who's nominated.

And that person wouldn't be The Donald, BTW, because he didn't say anything about a "majority." What he was railing against was the prospect of the RNC engaging in shenanigans at the convention to get behind someone who has, say, only 400 or 500 or so electoral votes instead of the one closer to (but not at) the number required.

And there's nothing wrong with anyone holding that opinion.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,366,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Someone doesn't understand that who gets a majority of electoral votes isn't what determines who's nominated.

And that person wouldn't be The Donald, BTW, because he didn't say anything about a "majority." What he was railing against was the prospect of the RNC engaging in shenanigans at the convention to get behind someone who has, say, only 400 or 500 or so electoral votes instead of the one closer to (but not at) the number required.

And there's nothing wrong with anyone holding that opinion.
what the rules say is not an opinion. And the Republican Party rules say that in order to have an uncontested win of the nomination, a candidate needs to have a majority of the delegates to be cast at the convention.

There are other factors that come into play if that doesn't happen, but that doesn't change the fact there are rules in place, and getting the most delegates doesn't automatically get you the nomination. No one's opinion changes that, and Donald's argument that he doesn't need a majority, just the most delegates, shows a lack of understanding, perhaps willful, of both the rules and of math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections